Thread: PvP - Healers

PvP - Healers

So I have been pvping for a while, BGs, Arenas, etc. I have noticed that I have an extremely hard time when dealing with healers. I have the common 17/0/54 unholy spec with mostly wrathful gear, but it just seems that I cannot kill healers that actually pay attention, in similarly geared pvp gear. I don't know what to do, and if I am doing something wrong. Even using strangulate, ghoul stun, and mind freeze I find myself often times unable to push most healers to death.

Paladins just stand there and flash of light themselves, nearly endlessly.
    Priests bubble, and penance/renew. Even if I counter their greater heals, this is the only class that I even have a chance against.
    Resto druids, drop a slew of hots on themselves, and if they ever get in danger they barkskin, and/or Nature's swiftness.
    Resto shamans, endlessly drop stoneclaw, earthbind totems while riptiding themselves with earthshield.

I can fight these classes and sometimes win, but battles against them usually take me running them out of mana, (literally taking 10-15+ minutes) or overpowering them with 2-3 players.

Is this just the weakness of death knights? Even if I try and burst I seem to have a hard time, or fail miserably in arenas. If I focus on DPS first, they get healed even more then if I was just attacking the healer. Not a QQ, just trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong, or if I have to wait for necrotic strike to even have a chance.

1v1 a dps isn't meant to kill a healer. I know, it sounds kinda stupid since they can do damage and heal themselves. But if healers could be killed 1v1 then why bring a healer to an Arena team? Why not do burst teams when healers don't make the cut?

you arent supposed to kill healers in 1v1
    Quote Originally Posted by Renshe
    Ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ack! ack achahaakack ack

tl:dr; ack ack

1v1 pvp... nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    1v1 a dps isn't meant to kill a healer. I know, it sounds kinda stupid since they can do damage and heal themselves. But if healers could be killed 1v1 then why bring a healer to an Arena team? Why not do burst teams when healers don't make the cut?
    This. they're currently balancing heals around 3v3 teams (last i checked, 3v3 was their 'supported e-sport' whatever they were trying to balance around) so it stands to reason that 1 healer can outheal 2 dps to some extent. (obviously not forever if his team doesn't help him in some way)

this is why 2's games are so dumb, and 1v1ing a healer is impossible for some classes. your class doesn't suck, it's just supposed to be that way. yes, a few classes may be able to *eventually* kill a healer (aff lock comes to mind, or maybe some other classes popping all their cd's at once) but that's not the normal situation.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

once they get to half health strangulate them, after its over if they cast an instant spell ghoul stun, after that u hould have gotten them low enough to where they feel pressured to cast a spell that isnt instant and then minndfreeze or w/e ur iterupt is called, u can also run away from then and dg them to you to interupt a heal if u see it comming, but other then that like what most people said 1v1 is not meant to be balanced.
    http://owlkinbf.blogspot.com/Theory is where good ideas come from. Practice is where good players come from.

Even changing the scenario specifically applying to a 3v3 game (which i play often), if I don't have a mortal strike of some sort then we have a poor chance of killing a healer, and even with a mortal strike, if the other team has lots of CCs, its nearly impossible. Despite the fact that I do a considerable amount of damage (at least in my opinion) it just seems like healers are like the energizer bunny, things have to be timed perfectly.

play with an MS partner (yes, its what everyone without one is pretty much stuck with, that or caster cleave)

learn to time your interrupts. free interrupt for 4 (5?) seconds every 10 seconds is a really big deal if you get them all off. and when one puts them in a really bad spot, chain it with silence/ghoulstun and some teammate's burst and it's gg. don't expect to do everything yourself and be the hero that solo'd the healer. that doesn't work past 1500.

dk's can put out a lot of pressure if played properly. if not they're pretty laughable.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Isn't the pvp spec 0/17/54, not 17/0/54?

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    Isn't the pvp spec 0/17/54, not 17/0/54?
    I lol'd.

---------- Post added 2010-10-02 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dillybear View Post
    once they get to half health strangulate them, after its over if they cast an instant spell ghoul stun, after that u hould have gotten them low enough to where they feel pressured to cast a spell that isnt instant and then minndfreeze or w/e ur iterupt is called, u can also run away from then and dg them to you to interupt a heal if u see it comming, but other then that like what most people said 1v1 is not meant to be balanced.
    Doesn't work unless you're going against a horrid healer, or a priest that's popped all his CD's.
    I 3d print stuff

Yes, it is 0/17/54, obviously rushed and put them in the wrong order. Everyone else understood.

What combo are you playing?

Currently running feral druid, holy pally, and me unholy dk. Not seeing high results though, more then likely I will have to get a MS'er on the team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkryn View Post
    Currently running feral druid, holy pally, and me unholy dk. Not seeing high results though, more then likely I will have to get a MS'er on the team.
    DK's are mostly there for chains, stuns/silences in arenas...not really there for dps. If you think its bad now, just wait till 4.01 goes live.

Looking at some of the tooltips, DKs might be able to put out solid burst. Arms Warriors on the other hand, apparently are doing worse than DKs atm.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    Looking at some of the tooltips, DKs might be able to put out solid burst. Arms Warriors on the other hand, apparently are doing worse than DKs atm.
    Not even close. Arms warriors do absolutely fine against healers.
    I 3d print stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post
    Not even close. Arms warriors do absolutely fine against healers.
    He meant 4.0.1. And supposedly, in that patch warriors suck major balls.

On topic, DKs aren't that much of a damage class in arenas. More so a support one. You have the best slows, are able to lock down a caster for very long and generally harass people, while your hunter/warrior pwns people's faces.

There's only like 2 days of the current system anyway. You'll see next patch/in Cata.