GTS250orATI5750, dx11?

Good evening,

Unfortunately after about two years my 8800GT finally died, and obviously I need a new graphics card, unfortunately i'm a student and can't afford anything fancy, and have come down to choose between two graphics card to get, (atm using an old 6600le)
    they are

geforce GTS250 $120
    and
    ATI Radeon 5750 $138

both are 1gig,

the real noticeable difference i read on the spec page is that the radeon supports Direct X 11 and gts 250 supports 10? I understand that with DirectX 11 you first need to have Windows 7 ( I don't have it but acquiring a copy is not a problem ) so my real question is does direct x 11 make a huge difference?

I haven't really touched computers since I first build this comp which is roughly 2 years back so if my hardware isn't even compatible please let me know too, Thank you

CPU: E8400
    Motherboard: Asus P5K/EPU
    4 gig ram
    eXtreme Power Duo 600W by coolermaster (RP-600-PCAR)

and if anyone was wondering how it died, I've literally left mah desktop on for the past 2 years 60 - 75% of the time, and a few weeks before the 8800 died it started smoking and eventually stopped booting up all together. lovely card too bad I can't get my hands on one where i live so only have the two mentioned to choose.
    Last edited by SushiBarrel; 2010-10-02 at 03:29 PM.

Not buying DX11 card is kinda silly really since it has a lot of new stuff to offer. New tricks will work in vista and 7, but not XP.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

awesome, thank you for your feedback, now... anyone know if my motherboard and psu is compatible with the ATI 5750? it can't possibly be more demanding then the 8800 right? >_<

HD5750 should require less power than 8800GT, so your PSU will be fine. If 8800GT worked on your motherboard, HD5750 will work too.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-10-02 at 05:29 PM.

Might wanna troll price watch for deals and try and scoop up a radion 5770.

I believe a gts 450 gives slightly better performance than the 5750 at a similar price range.

If money is a big issue a radion 5670 is on par with your 8800gt but has DX11 support.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

hey mates, thanks for the reply

I've decided to go with the 450 over the 5750, never touched radeon stuff before and the 8800gt was really awesome had super good durability not sure if 450 is as beefed but so far nvidia has never let me down... Hope I made the right choice!

Thanks everyone who gave feedback, someone can close this thread now