Heirloom Scaling in Cata

Had an argument with a guildie about the current heirlooms and how they will function in Cata. According to me they stop scaling and don't give any bonus exp past 80. But he believes that they will only stop giving bonus exp and the stats on them will continue to scale right up to level 85.

Hope any of you in the beta can help shed some light on this.

actually, yes

they will be level 80 stats at level 85. They wont give exp bonus after level 80 anymore even tho they might still give stats of the 80 level at 80+.

15+ Year Old Account
    They might give the exp bonus - but they won´t scale.

they said Wotlk heirlooms will not work past 80

Press in dire situations http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Deleted
    In my opinion, this is a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Arathull View Post
    they said Wotlk heirlooms will not work past 80
    "Will not work". Does that mean "Will stop giving bonus Xp after lvl 80" or "Won't gain any more stats at lvl 81-85"? Or both?

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    "Will not work". Does that mean "Will stop giving bonus Xp after lvl 80" or "Won't gain any more stats at lvl 81-85"? Or both?
    Both.

They will have the stats of a level 80 item even after level 80. They will not give any exp bonus from 80-85 because the developers don't want us to fly through new content. So, you'll probably replace your LK heirlooms with level 80+ greens.

This seems to be what blizz has communicated. While there's pretty much no chance they'll let the exp bonus continue, the possibility for stat scaling is almost in the realm of possibilities. It more than likely won't happen though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Robot arms apartment building, New New York
    Im pretty sure they said heirlooms wont work at all past 80. Personally I like this. Leveling my warrior up into northrend was great except i was having to sell all my quest rewards in favour of the same damn axe and shoulders id been looking at for 68 levels already, which was a shame cos i like the flavour the northrend gear gives.
    If heirlooms stop at 80 thats good, they give you boost through old content and leave the new stuff to be appreciated fully.

If you look at the tooltip for an heirloom item it says "Requires level 1 to 80". So yea, you cant use them past level 80 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilolas View Post
    If you look at the tooltip for an heirloom item it says "Requires level 1 to 80". So yea, you cant use them past level 80 anyway.
    That's wrong. You can use them past 80. You're just not particularly wise if you do so as they won't scale up any more.

Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    In my opinion, this is a good question.

Both, since blizzard already said it wont scale or give xp past lvl 80. read up on your blue post and stop qq with guildies.

Deleted
    as i remember they said Heirlooms wont give xp or scale beyond 80 because they want people to experience new content at the pace they set.. but they might change it later when 81-85 is not new content anymore..

The currently available heirlooms have been confirmed by Blizzard to stop stat scaling @80 AND exp bonus will also stop at 80. There are new heirlooms that will work from 1-85 to replace the old ones though. The points being that everyone will have to level at the same potential speed (for at least one toon) and there won't be any handicaps for those aiming for realm first 85 achievements.

Deleted
    They won't work past 80 until you have atleast 1 character at 85. that's what i read anyway.

Deleted
    So, what will happen when you reach lvl 81 with heirloom items equipped and no space in your inventory

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Had an argument with a guildie about the current heirlooms and how they will function in Cata. According to me they stop scaling and don't give any bonus exp past 80. But he believes that they will only stop giving bonus exp and the stats on them will continue to scale right up to level 85.

Hope any of you in the beta can help shed some light on this.
    You nailed it, your guildie is wrong.
    There will be new Heirlooms that scale all the way to 85, but the current ones stop at 80 and do not give any bonus XP after 79.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilolas View Post
    From your logic you can't use level 70 items at level 80? rofl.

You'll still be able to use your heirlooms past 80, but there's no point in doing that. The stats won't go up and the experience boost won't work if you are lvl 80 or above.