Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Don't play EVE Online

I am sure many will disagree with me but im going to warn anyone who is bored and maybe thinking of trying EVE online because you see there game ads spammed EVERYwhere . So whats so bad about it ? One word sums it up BORING

You log in and you pick a race/bloodline etc etc and then you start the newb tutorial . It has got a lot better then when I played eve many years ago but it is still sooooo boring . Eve requires something most WOW players do not have and that is the patience of an OAK . It's a lot like chess its a strategy game in the long term . You have to train skills to be able to do anything fun and useful and training skills takes a LONG time I guess that is CCP way of keeping people subscribed rather then making real content ?

I downloaded a 480 page Manuel on EVE and read a good part of it while I was mining ( <--- pretty much the only thing you can do as a new player besides run VERY boring agent missions ) You have to do a LOT of reading or you are going to make a lot of mistakes which will cost you a lot of time and effort such as training up mining when all you really wanna do is get in a capitol ship and blow up pirates and such .

Go the eve forums sometime and try and read what people are talking about you will be lost because EVE is so complex it has its own language practically . Like I said if your not a VERY patient person dont even bother and I fall in that category. For me Monopoly > Chess ...which wow is like monopoly in comparison ..jump in play have some fun :-)

Long live wow it really is a great game especially if you ever compare it to the other poo thats out there .

edit ** Ok I wont leave without saying a few nice things . Eve has very nice graphics the SPACE and SHIP graphics sometimes are a thing to behold . The BEST thing about EVE is the community for the most part people in game and not only very nice but also very helpful . I really wanted to like this game for those reasons because I am a BIG fan of space sim games such as Freespace , Privateer , Homeworld ..etc etc but sadly EVE is a huge let down :-(
    Last edited by Elite Peon; 2010-10-04 at 12:08 PM.

Eve online is srs bzns for flowcharts and microsoft access loving people (not that anything's wrong with it). [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness though:
    For the most part in my EVE trial I've found it very relaxing, when I needed that relaxation, just chillin' in space, listening to _awesome_ soundtrack, which I then bought and re-listened couple of times. Shooting some pirates in deep space, it was a nice change of scenery for me, who played only RPG's. Sadly, this game wasn't for me, but still it provided some fun.

TL ; DR: WoW and EVE are 2 different games for 2 different people.

Oh god, I know right? Worst game ever. Totally boring.

I started playing in 2004 and found myself in the Deep Space Mining Alliance [DSMA]. Their territory was being encroached upon by Fountain Alliance [FA] and I joined the fight without really knowing what was going on. I flew a Caracal up the pipe from Empire to Fountain without so much as an afterburner (let alone MWD or instas!) and somehow made the trip intact. An [FA] fleet gave chase at one point but they comprised entirely of lumbering Battleships and I managed to evade them.

The night I got up there I took part in a siege. We were trying to take back one of our stations that had been captured by [FA]. This consisted of taking its' shields down, which took several hours. A Caracal couldn't do much damage so I saved my missiles. I just sat there watching streams of torpedoes from every direction slam into the station (this was before Dreadnoughts). Sometimes [FA] would attack but they struck targets hundreds of kilometres from me. I was assigned to a group of siege Ravens so there wasn't much I could do, just watch these little blips of light exploding in the distance. Eventually the FC would tell us that we'd won and the enemy was retreating.

I was on campaign in Fountain for about a month, but with our supply lines to empire cut and our stations dropping one by one, we eventually lost. The [DSMA] was forced to disband. No-one would take me after that - my employment history marked me as a possible spy to any other alliance I joined, so I went mercenary. I joined a corporation that operated in empire, attacking industrial corporations for pay from competing industrial corporations. We eventually became pirate, headed up to Syndicate and took advantage of the power vaccuum left after the Great Northern War.

I won't go on because I've rambled enough already. Yeah. That was my first 2-3 months in EVE. I played for 4-5 years.

I much prefer WoW. I prefer endlessly respawning bosses I have no emotional or logical connection to, to fight in the same room of the same dungeon every week. I prefer static worlds that I have no impact upon, with PvP regulated to boxed-in instanced battlegrounds. When I'm playing WoW, I never even have to think! Much more relaxing, amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never tried EVE although I have contemplated trying it a few times. I think I will stay away from it regardless and just wait for Jumpgate:Evolution for my Space Sim/MMO needs.

10+ Year Old Account
    EVE is the kind of game that you will enjoy if you enjoy the theorycrafting and min/maxing side of WoW. If you're the kind of person who logs on for a few dailys and their weekly ICC25 pug, I wouldn't bother looking twice at EVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

I wouldn't call it boring at all, but you have to be willing to sit through the full year it takes to fully integrate yourself into the universe. Once you're at that point, you can truly "play" the game, and at that point is absolutely amazing. The main problem is the learning curve is....really, really, really big. You're going to suck ass at it for quite a while, and you've really gotta be actively thinking while playing or you're going to get screwed over.

Also, the market is a LOT more like a real market than WoW -- i.e. complex and not put into a nice little box for you.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2010-10-05 at 05:47 AM.

I'm actually kind of dissapointed.

I like EVE Online. From what i hear though, the latest expansion has made the server unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I wouldn't call it boring at all, but you have to be willing to sit through the full year it takes to fully integrate yourself into the universe. Once you're at that point, you can truly "play" the game, and at that point is absolutely amazing.
    You know, i figured a majority of the people here would like the game because of this. I mean, if people tear their hair out over people they've never met having better access to gear, surely they would like a game that is extremely complex and where you can actually fuck people over and prevent them from playing.

My problem is, for all it's number of systems, there really isn't anything unique (considering the amount of systems in the game though, it's partly justified). Freelancer had more variety in a system than EVE in the past. But with the expansion that lets you walk around stations, that's going to change.
    Last edited by Caradinist; 2010-10-05 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

15+ Year Old Account
    While I don't play WoW, you shouldn't be trying to force your opinion on others.

Some people(I suppose) like it, just because you found it boring doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    While I don't play WoW, you shouldn't be trying to force your opinion on others.

Some people(I suppose) like it, just because you found it boring doesn't mean it's a bad game.
    Nobody has to listen to me ? Anyways im just saying I found it very dull because it takes so long to get the skills to be able to do anything fun . The same could be said about wow because a lot of people dont think it is very fun until you reach level 80 and start raiding . However , in WOW you can reach level 80 in 2 weeks if you try and then another 1 week you can be fully geared to raid . Not so in EVE you wont see the equivalent end game type stuff for a LONNNGGGG time

Rube you got lucky I talked to many other newish players and they pretty much had the same experience I had . Everyone wants pilots with 10m+ sp and the ones that will take you want you to mine ....so what fun is that?? You cant get any type of ship that will do well in low sec for months and months just because of skill limits so I find it hard to believe that you were flying around in low sec having a good old time your first month or two ...come on .

You find it hard to believe I had a Caracal within my first month? And you don't need lots of skillpoints to PvP. Just look at a Goonswarm, one of the premier alliances in EVE for 4 years. They used the following tactics (copypasta'd from evewiki);

GoonSwarm was (in)famous for utilizing "zerg-like" tactics against their enemies with smaller ships such as T1 cruisers and frigates, willingly sacrificing a dozen or more small cheap ships to destroy a single Heavy Assault Cruiser or T2 fitted Battleship. This is partially due to the fact that they have a constant influx of new, inexperienced players without the skills or resources to buy and fit Tech 2 ship or modules, but also due to their rejection of 'kill:death ratio' statistics as a worthwhile marker of alliance strength. GoonSwarm members commonly argue that whilst tracking numbers of ships killed and lost is useful for forum posturing and self-congratulation, it has little bearing on 0.0 warfare where what matters more is the ability to take and control territory, harass hostile industrial and economic operations, and to break the morale of enemy pilots. This was most graphically demonstrated during the war against Lotka Volterra in early 2007, where despite maintaining a very positive kill:death ratio Lotka Volterra lost every one of their stations over a period of seven weeks, disbanding shortly afterward.

Or to put it in WoW terms, ten lv20 characters can easily gank one lv80 character, and there are no instanced BGs forcing even numbers.

Eve and WoW cannot be compared easily, because they are two different MMO's.

WoW is all about PVE action, you go to a area, do quests and kill everything in the zone and move on. Also everyone is the same thing, a Hero fighting for the Horde or the Alliance, and they cannot deviate from that in any way. The PvP is very much limited to contained environments (BG's), and losing has no negative outcome to the game world. WoW is very... friendly.

In Eve, it's more on the lines of living in the future and in Space, if you wanted, you could become a Pirate, a Trader, a Miner, a Freighter, a Fighter, and so on. Most of the time, you will have a eventless day, but everything you do in Eve has a Risk (which is why the joke about the Currency in Eve named 'ISK' is nicknamed 'rISK'), you buy a expensive battleship and you can have it destroyed right when you undock. You build a Player-Owned Station one day, and the next day a enemy corporation has it under siege by enemy Capital Ships. Eve is a unfriendly place. One feature about Eve is the one I really love about it, everything takes place in a single Galaxy (Server), so even if Eve is a smaller population than WoW, it has several times more people on it's single server. But, I will admit, the PvE is very boring at times.

Hard to explain, but Eve Online isn't everyones game, and many who try to adapt to it will probably quit Eve in a Month after their first ship gets destroyed by a Player Pirate. But the game is very fun if you stick with it and change your attitude about MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    However , in WOW you can reach level 80 in 2 weeks if you try and then another 1 week you can be fully geared to raid . Not so in EVE you wont see the equivalent end game type stuff for a LONNNGGGG time
    And a couple of more weeks in the new wotlk system and you're bored as hell. So maybe it is always the best thing to hand out everything in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rube View Post
    You find it hard to believe I had a Caracal within my first month? And you don't need lots of skillpoints to PvP. Just look at a Goonswarm, one of the premier alliances in EVE for 4 years. They used the following tactics (copypasta'd from evewiki);

GoonSwarm was (in)famous for utilizing "zerg-like" tactics against their enemies with smaller ships such as T1 cruisers and frigates, willingly sacrificing a dozen or more small cheap ships to destroy a single Heavy Assault Cruiser or T2 fitted Battleship. This is partially due to the fact that they have a constant influx of new, inexperienced players without the skills or resources to buy and fit Tech 2 ship or modules, but also due to their rejection of 'kill:death ratio' statistics as a worthwhile marker of alliance strength. GoonSwarm members commonly argue that whilst tracking numbers of ships killed and lost is useful for forum posturing and self-congratulation, it has little bearing on 0.0 warfare where what matters more is the ability to take and control territory, harass hostile industrial and economic operations, and to break the morale of enemy pilots. This was most graphically demonstrated during the war against Lotka Volterra in early 2007, where despite maintaining a very positive kill:death ratio Lotka Volterra lost every one of their stations over a period of seven weeks, disbanding shortly afterward.

Or to put it in WoW terms, ten lv20 characters can easily gank one lv80 character, and there are no instanced BGs forcing even numbers.
    Thats actually very cool never thought about it like that . I wonder if there are still corps that do stuff like that being that BOB and GS disbanded . You know im not saying I did not want to like eve I can even see it as a game certain people really like . Going from wow the instant gratification game to EVE is a big shocker because in eve like I said originally you need the patience of an OAK .

You know I been thinking about a way to make that game fun . Maybe buying an account that has a lot of skill points . Then all I have to do is sell some plex and I will have 4-500m isk ....cause really all I wanna do is get in a battle cruiser and go fight ..lol

15+ Year Old Account
    supposedly the new expansion thing will have a lot more action.

a friend of mine used to play it and he would go on 4-hour "raids" (in wow-terms) where all he did was sit around while the clan mothership (something like that) mined mineral things from this field. i dont think they ever once got attacked.

i havent played it, but god damn is it a beautiful looking game
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    EVE makes hardcore WoW players look like scrubs.

The two games are about as far apart from one another as two MMOs can get.

WoW is like McDonalds: Widespread, extremely popular and all about instant and easy gratification,

EVE is like a 4 course French menu you have to learn to cook yourself. Hard work and unforgiving...but ultimately...if done right...more satisfying than anything McDonalds could offer you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

EVE is like a 4 course French menu you have to learn to cook yourself. Hard work and unforgiving...but ultimately...if done right...more satisfying than anything McDonalds could offer you.
    That about sums it up really ...LOL ..Sadly I am to used to Mc'ds to enjoy that fine french menu :-(

EVE gets fun when you get into the huge (think 400-500+ ships) fleet battles. It takes some time, yes, but it's completely worth it. There's so much more to do in EVE than WoW. In WoW, I almost never PvP except when I'm bored or need the honor for epic gems. In EVE, I'll go into null-sec (FFA PvP area) and either gatecamp with my alliance, or roam around our (you can own sections of the universe in EVE) territory and pop anyone that isn't blue (excellent standing with alliance). PvP is more fun in EVE because of the risk of losing your prize ship that can cost upwards of 1 billion ISK (EVE currency).

EVE takes at least a month to get really into, but if you stick with it, I'll reward you so much more than WoW.

Also: this is a fleet of 700+ (yes, 700, I want to see a BG of that size in WoW) ships from Northern Coalition (group of alliances mine is part of) this was I think a year or two ago, and it resulted in a node crashing after they all jumped through the same gate (btw, that large ship in the middle of the first picture is a Titan, aka Space-nuke);

evemonkey.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/northern-coalition-pwns-a-stargate/

PS: EVE will also have a console FPS connected to it called Dust 514. I believe it's the first of its kind, and it will let EVE corps and alliances battle for control over planets (I think, not much info was released on it)
    Last edited by Barana; 2010-10-08 at 02:38 AM.

Barana any chance your corp would take a newish player . Like I said I found and so did other newish players that the only corps that will take you are ones looking for mining so they can get cheap quick materials . Anyways i'd like to give it another try....also the dust 514 tie in is very cool I must say .

So, you're telling us to not play EVE simply because it doesn't fit your playstyle? I mean, I don't like it much either, but you literally stated that to like the game you need a different mindset than what you possess.

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post

Chill Police Girl, Arucard commands it.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!