Lightbulb the law of mob pull difficulty. eat your heart out einstein

Not quite as elegant as e=mc^2, but then again, that equation appears to be wrong near the speed of light anyway.

Submitted for discussion, the law of mob pull difficulty.

Where D = Difficulty Factor
    A = Situations DPS need to be aware of to avoid death
    B = Required Actions By DPS
    C = Buttons that DPS can hit that result in any undesired result
    H = Hunters in the group
    K = Deathknights in the group

D = (A + B + C + 2H + 3K)/100

So if a given pull requires 1 crowd control, 3 spots on the ground that can kill you if you stand in it, and 60 spells that can break said necessary crowd control, with 1 hunter and 1 deathknight, we have a Difficult Factor of 1+3+60+2+3 or .69

On the other hand, a pull with no dk's or hunters, no required crowd control, nothing on the ground, and no spell reflection or other bad thing that can happen when dps simply unload mindlessly, we have a 0 difficulty, meaning a tank and healer can handle it alone and the dps are only along for the ride to speed things up.

For discussion and enhancement purposes to the difficulty factor equation, possible additional variables might include modifiers for propensity of healer to allow dps to die (which, if high, would reduce the difficulty factor), a factor for paladin tank compassion - meaning how likely is he to bubble a dps to prevent him from killing himself/the group, and perhaps a summation equation to include the difficulty of the entire dungeon.

Bad thread is bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Why, why !! why would you do something like this!!! How bored were you to think, yeh lets make a Equation for mob pulling difficulty :S !
    Last edited by Terrorbladez; 2010-10-05 at 01:14 AM.

Math, physics and anything to do with numbers is usually just a bad idea. People will come in and produce all kinds of new numbers with different results and just make any attempt at discussion impossible. Unless you like playing with numbers. Then I'd suggest something in a mathematics game.

Witty. +2

It actually makes sense... kind of. I'm sure they said the same thing to Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Pos View Post
    WoW is my shameful secret. Like a mistress. or a child.

There are bad math jokes and there are threads with bad math jokes.

And then there are threads where people make posts calling op a troll for which they get banned.

This is one of those threads and this is one of those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairystyle View Post
    Math, physics and anything to do with numbers is usually just a bad idea. People will come in and produce all kinds of new numbers with different results and just make any attempt at discussion impossible. Unless you like playing with numbers. Then I'd suggest something in a mathematics game.
    The game is built with math

10+ Year Old Account
    Creative, looks very similar as I work with stuff like this all day. I just don't remember what law it looks like...

I like the idea, but this doesn't account for so many other factors it obviously can't be applied realistically. It would have to be drawn on a curve with a slope, calculated using limits because you would have to account for gear to increase/decrease difficulty. Along with talent trees chosen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairystyle View Post
    no no. I'm certain there are other modifiers I have not considered. Creative feedback appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    The game is built with math
    yh ok lets be honest tho, we don't go running around finding quests that give you maths equation now do we, or we dont have to add 3 and 2 together just so we can cast a spell / move...

Its more Code anyway

I like this thread. Although, I have nothing to add to your equation, OP. Perhaps a subtraction for the experience of the healer, although this is hardly quantifiable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windan
    Being inside the belly of a giant gives one time for reflection. As my body crystallizes I have come to the conclusion that perhaps there are enough heroes in the world. Should I somehow make it out of this predicament I am going to ring that orc's ghostly neck!

Numbers come into it a lot more than we would like to admit.
    The amount of emphasis you place on your gearscore is inversely proportional to your skill.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Numbers come into it a lot more than we would like to admit.
    The amount of emphasis you place on your gearscore is inversely proportional to your skill.
    I LOL'd a little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best math I've ever seen so far on forums.

Click signature for main character's armory.