Paladin or Warrior in Cata?

I'm planning on leveling a tank from the ground up in Cataclysm. I've never tanked before. I've already ruled out the DK and the Druid, but I'm still very undecided between the Paladin and the Warrior.

Is the Paladin better? What are his key differences with the Warrior in terms of playstyle, in the context of Cataclysm? What must I know to choose the tanking class that will work best for me?

I'm on a PvE server and I don't PvP. With this character, I plan on raiding in the long term.

Many thanks.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Paladin would inherently give you more roles to choose from (heal/tank/dps) to the warrior (tank/dps). If you think you'll like healing in the future, go with the paladin. Both are easy to level (currently). Have no idea about PTR or beta with either though; can't find the time to try them out.

Paladins are boring. Roll warrior imo.

Deleted
    Well, warrior tank can use a shield, whit very big armor. But my favorite tank is paladin, cuz they can hold aggro better, then warriors and they can heal himself as well

Just start leveling 1 of each now and stick to what you enjoy more. Nobody can tell you what is better in future or which playstyle you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakefan View Post
    Well, warrior tank can use a shield, whit very big armor. But my favorite tank is paladin, cuz they can hold aggro better, then warriors and they can heal himself as well
    Wow.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    Can't speak for warriors as I've never done warr tanking, but pally tanking is becoming a lot more engaging in Cata. No more 969, you need to decide what to spend holy power on etcetc.

I played a warrior tank and I loved it. I play a holy paladin now and I enjoy it just as much.

I tried out the PTR yesterday and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of new stuff to holydins. I'm neither negative nor positive to changes since I simply did not have the time to test them.

If you like a challenge go try holy paladin in cata although I think tanking will be(come) just as much fun as healing. This way or the other - "whatever floats your boat"

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't go wrong. They have made all tanking classes much more interesting and fun to play. I always preferred warriors because they seemed more badass than armored priests.

I got told by a guildie last night that paladin tanks are lacking abit in the beta. People are complaining that they have less keys to hit to gain aggro as more are going into CD (with Consecration having a 30second CD). I've not read on the warrior class, but maybe ask on the beta forums about both classes and get peoples replies with how they like the changes, and if they are in need of work.

At the moment i would say warrior, only cus charging into a pack of mobs is fun! And with heroic leap... WTB!

Heroic Leap
    Leap through the air towards a targeted location, slamming down with destructive force to deal 100% weapon damage to all enemies within 5 yards, stunning them for 2 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    boring to you not boring to others

Refer to Signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it depends what you prefer as far as play-style. What classes have you already played? What did you like about those classes?

Warrior is a very reactive class as far as tanking. Making decisions like when to blow Enrage, how much is enough pooled rage to Cleave, charging vs. taunting, Shield Slam or Revenge, Shield Bash or Spell Reflect - deciding these things is more of a challenge than some tanking classes but can be more fulfilling.

Paladin is a proactive tanking class. Self-buffing for the situation between either threat or survivability, handing out useful buffs/hands, saving the party damage.

What I want to know is: why zero consideration for DK or Bear?

80 Death Knight 80 Rogue 80 Paladin 80 Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wizdro View Post
    What I want to know is: why zero consideration for DK or Bear?
    I am also curious on this. I am trying to decide on what to take to level cap first as well. I have both a warrior and paladin at level 80 ready to tank to 85. I am considering taking my DK up to 80 as well as a tank but I am not sure. I am a bit bored with the live warrior tanking but in the past is has felt very twitch/reactive. How different is the warrior and paladin tanking in beta then on live?