Glyph Prices Post 4.0.1

Considering the fact that glyphs will be "buy once and be done" once the patch occurs, do you think that prices will increase on the AH? I know that personally I've made a pretty penny from selling glyphs and I really don't want to lose one of my main cash cows.

My estimates is that prices will increase for the first week dramatically, and probably the bubble will last as long as 2-3 week, then they will probably hover around medium prices.

The demand will increase a lot in 4.0 as everyone buys new glyphs for their toons, and probably buys 1 of every single class glyph to complete the book. Sure the supply will increase as well with people trying to get a piece of the action, but I think even with that you won't find sub 5g glyphs and they will probably (on my server at least) go for around 20g a piece on average.

Now after the initial bubble has popped and all the current players have gotten every glyph for every toon, the prices will probably go back down to around 5g on average, but I think in the long run they will still sell well. This is because I'm guessing with the demand crashing out, a lot of glyph sellers (myself included) will get out of the business. There is quite a lot of time involved in being a major glyph seller and with the demand going down, most people will find a new market. The irony of this is that without the major competition and undercutting, the prices will probably end up stabilizing between 10-30g a piece, which will still be a great way to make money. People make new toons every day, old players come back and will need to buy glyphs etc.. there will always be some demand.

Now I'm not a market guru or amazing with stats, I've just been pretty obsessed with the AH for the past few months and have put a lot of effort into finding ways to make money with it. I did recently hit the 300k mark so I've been really proud of that, but I know some people with multiple gold capped toons, so there is always room to grow lol. I could be totally wrong about what happens, it is just my opinion and estimation.

What I am personally planning to do is search the AH between now and 4.0 for glyphs that are selling for less than Ink of the Sea price (2g on my server) Any glyph under 2g, I snatch because I figure its either lower than mats cost, or slightly higher but still worth it because of the time saved. I'm also buying any cheap herbs or ink of the sea, because the night before 4.0 (next monday) I will go over what glyphs I've bought, and make any ones I don't already have a stack of. I plan on having 1 stack of every single glyph possible when 4.0 hits, and to just park my butt on the AH all day and post-repost. Its going to be a hassle for sure because I can't even fit all the glyphs into a 4 scribe bags and the backpack, so thats gonna suck. Of course these are the times I wish I had 2 accounts ><

I'm also going to have to split my selling time between my glyph seller/banker and my main who will be furiously crafting epic gems and cutting them to sell throughout the day. Omg just so much to do!
    Why do people with closed minds always have open mouths?

1. Mats are trippled -> glyph price will raise
    2. Automatic posting Addons will break with 4.0, so you need a HW Event for each kind of glyph and full automated posting won't happen again -> glyph price will raise
    3. probably less competition because of now permanent glyphs (and point 2) -> price will raise
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

Where did you hear that automated posting will break in 4.0? Do you mean like that continuous posting mod with QA3, or QA3 all together? This makes me worried

Quote Originally Posted by Enderfish View Post
    Where did you hear that automated posting will break in 4.0? Do you mean like that continuous posting mod with QA3, or QA3 all together? This makes me worried
    They're broken on the PTR atm and if you report the addons to support on live, they say they've been looking at that problem and a solution for it.

No, QA won't be fixed, at least not officially.

From the Author of QA3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowed
    While it was a matter of time anyway since I wasn't maintaining QA anyway with Cataclysm:

Blizzard's protected the auction posting APIs with 4.0, meaning any sort of automated posting is broken. Any sort of fix would require pressing a button every single time to post an item, which goes against QA.

To put it simply, QA is broken come 4.0.
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

Oh lord and after I just made 2000 glyphs to prepare for 4.0

Oh lord and after I just made 2000 glyphs to prepare for 4.0
    Gz, most of the Glyphs disappeared on Beta, and minor amount of them only changed. So you will probably lose around 1800 glyphs
    History of Illumination

Patch 4.1.0 (2010-10-XX): This talent is gone...
    Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): This talent now returns 30% of the mana cost of the spell instead of 60%.
    Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): This talent now only gives 60% of the mana cost of the critical heal.
    Prior to Patch 2.1.0, Illumination granted a 100% mana gain after a related crit

Its why I have an inscriber and an herb gatherer. SO I won't have to pay some obscene amount for a glyph.

I was glad to hear about the state of AH addons in 4.0.1 I have no issue with people who make money off the AH but with the right set of mods you almost have to do nothing yourself and that is kinda of lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."

I know that on my mage, I'll be going ballistic bring prices up, or at least use the undercut-bid trick

Quote Originally Posted by Wowittajako View Post
    Gz, most of the Glyphs disappeared on Beta, and minor amount of them only changed. So you will probably lose around 1800 glyphs
    Only thing that happened is that the glyphs item ID became new glyphs... for example Glyph of Blessing of Wisdom became Glyph of Insight. Glyph of Blood Strike became Glyph of Blood Boil. It's just a change in Item IDs.
    The only glyph that really disappeared so far is Glyph of Arcane Explosion, which became "Charred Glyph".

http://www.wowhead.com/items=16 <-- Click on any Glyphs, those are current glyphs, then click on the cataclsym link in topleft on any glyph page, will tell you what it becomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    The only glyph that really disappeared so far is Glyph of Arcane Explosion, which became "Charred Glyph".
    The following glyphs will be charred, so don't make them.

Glyph of Arcane Explosion (MAGE)
    Glyph of Barbaric Insults (WARRIOR)
    Glyph of Dark Command (DK)
    Glyph of Disease (DK)
    Glyph of Fire Blast (MAGE)
    Glyph of Fire Ward (MAGE)
    Glyph of Icebound Fortitude (DK)
    Glyph of Last Stand (WARRIOR)
    Glyph of Mana Gem (MAGE)
    Glyph of Possessed Strength (HUNTER)
    Glyph of Rapid Rejuvenation (DRUID)
    Glyph of Scorch (MAGE)
    Glyph of Siphon Life (WARLOCK)
    Glyph of Survival Instincts (DRUID)
    Glyph of Taunt (WARRIOR)
    Glyph of Unholy Blight (DK
    Glyph of Volley (HUNTER)

I tried posting a link to the charred glyph discussion, but I haven't posted enough times to be able to. But don't just take my word for it (especially with no source, lol), do your own research.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lancore89 View Post
    1. Mats are trippled -> glyph price will raise
    2. Automatic posting Addons will break with 4.0, so you need a HW Event for each kind of glyph and full automated posting won't happen again -> glyph price will raise
    3. probably less competition because of now permanent glyphs (and point 2) -> price will raise
    4. Catalcysm gold drops are much higher than Live. Gold Inflation -> price will raise.

So yes, Glyph prices are going to continue to increase for a while into Cataclysm. Eventually they will settle down with the rest of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowittajako View Post
    This is also completely incorrect. Only a small amount of glyphs are being removed. The list posted above me is accurate.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-10-09 at 05:06 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

glyphs will be prolly 80-180g a piece.....rlly believe me
    Duel me if u dare! I think your chicken, /duel
    http://snoekje. mybrute. com

Well I figure even if I won't be able to auto post and cancel undercut glyphs in 4.0, making a stack or so of each glyph will still net me quite a lot of cash, if for nothing else then the fact that the mats to make a glyph are tripling in most cases. Coupled with the lack of autoposting and canceling that most of the AH botters do and you have greatly increased glyph prices.

I am making 1 of every glyph for each of my toon (SO time consuming omg) right now because I don't want to have to do it in 4.0 when it costs 3 inks per glyph. It will probably take so much longer to sell off the glyph because I won't be canceling my undercut ones and will just probably stick them up for 24 hrs or so and check/repost once a day. It will make the selling of them take longer, but it will free up so much time spent posting/reposting.

I've been really big in the glyph game before, but the last 6 months or so prices on our server have dropped to under 10g a glyph and down to under 1g for some so I stopped putting the time in. I recently started making them again to prepare for 4.0 but now that I hear QA3 is going to be broken (well most of it.. I hear there is still an addon that can supply a pop up window to confirm for each glyph, and you can macro hitting 'yes' or even stick it on a g15 script/macro to do it for you over and over. The only problem with their breaking auto posting addons is that the medium glyphs gem seller that would cancel and repost a few times a day will probably stop, but the farmers or bots that don't care if they get banned will still have tools to undercut and repost thousands of items.

I have never used the "continue posting after initial post" thing in QA3, but I know people that have, and it seems like now they can just continue to use their macros and scripts to undercut immediately, while most other players will have their versions broken.

Though I'm not bitter, honestly it is less time spent on AH toons, and I know I wont be the only one disheartened by the lack of AH addons and just end up leaving the glyph game altogether. Which means less sellers, less undercutting, and higher prices.

I don't know how some ppl can post their glyphs for under 5g, when you take into account all the work that needs to be done. Buying/farming herbs, milling herbs, turning pigment into ink, trading ink for ink needed for glyph, buying parchment for glyph, crafting glyph, posting glyph. Thats a crap ton of steps for 1 glyph, and there are a crap TON of those glyphs lol. When the glyphs cost 3 inks instead of one, and the majority of sellers aren't able to use their mass posting addons, I assure you glyph prices will increase. I'm surprised at all of the non scribes that are rejoicing with this change to QA3. I'm not sure if they realize that making it harder to sell glyphs and other mass produced items will just increase their costs. The costs that those same people will have to pay to purchase the item. I would highly doubt after 4.0 you find a glyph for under 5g, maybe even under 10g.

I know people don't like being undercut, but it is that constant competition and undercutting that drives prices down for consumers. When you take away the means for the majority of the producers to list their wares in a reasonably efficient way, you are left with a smaller pool of sellers and much higher prices. But again I'm not complaining. I was a medium seller, and what small way this will effect me doesn't even compare to how it will effect those players with multiple accounts and multiple AH mules that used to be planted at the AH all day posting/undercutting items. I still remember the days of posting 5 bags of glyphs one stack at a time. Going down my inscription book shift clicking each glyph to see if it was worth crafting, then crafting and posting individually. Sure I made tons more money when I discovered QA3, but I've done it by hand before, and I can do it again if the profits are worth it :P

Well I figure even if I won't be able to auto post and cancel undercut glyphs in 4.0, making a stack or so of each glyph will still net me quite a lot of cash, if for nothing else then the fact that the mats to make a glyph are tripling in most cases. Coupled with the lack of autoposting and canceling that most of the AH botters do and you have greatly increased glyph prices.

I am making 1 of every glyph for each of my toon (SO time consuming omg) right now because I don't want to have to do it in 4.0 when it costs 3 inks per glyph. It will probably take so much longer to sell off the glyph because I won't be canceling my undercut ones and will just probably stick them up for 24 hrs or so and check/repost once a day. It will make the selling of them take longer, but it will free up so much time spent posting/reposting.

I've been really big in the glyph game before, but the last 6 months or so prices on our server have dropped to under 10g a glyph and down to under 1g for some so I stopped putting the time in. I recently started making them again to prepare for 4.0 but now that I hear QA3 is going to be broken (well most of it.. I hear there is still an addon that can supply a pop up window to confirm for each glyph, and you can macro hitting 'yes' or even stick it on a g15 script/macro to do it for you over and over. The only problem with their breaking auto posting addons is that the medium glyphs gem seller that would cancel and repost a few times a day will probably stop, but the farmers or bots that don't care if they get banned will still have tools to undercut and repost thousands of items.

I have never used the "continue posting after initial post" thing in QA3, but I know people that have, and it seems like now they can just continue to use their macros and scripts to undercut immediately, while most other players will have their versions broken.

Though I'm not bitter, honestly it is less time spent on AH toons, and I know I wont be the only one disheartened by the lack of AH addons and just end up leaving the glyph game altogether. Which means less sellers, less undercutting, and higher prices.

I don't know how some ppl can post their glyphs for under 5g, when you take into account all the work that needs to be done. Buying/farming herbs, milling herbs, turning pigment into ink, trading ink for ink needed for glyph, buying parchment for glyph, crafting glyph, posting glyph. Thats a crap ton of steps for 1 glyph, and there are a crap TON of those glyphs lol. When the glyphs cost 3 inks instead of one, and the majority of sellers aren't able to use their mass posting addons, I assure you glyph prices will increase. I'm surprised at all of the non scribes that are rejoicing with this change to QA3. I'm not sure if they realize that making it harder to sell glyphs and other mass produced items will just increase their costs. The costs that those same people will have to pay to purchase the item. I would highly doubt after 4.0 you find a glyph for under 5g, maybe even under 10g.

I know people don't like being undercut, but it is that constant competition and undercutting that drives prices down for consumers. When you take away the means for the majority of the producers to list their wares in a reasonably efficient way, you are left with a smaller pool of sellers and much higher prices. But again I'm not complaining. I was a medium seller, and what small way this will effect me doesn't even compare to how it will effect those players with multiple accounts and multiple AH mules that used to be planted at the AH all day posting/undercutting items. I still remember the days of posting 5 bags of glyphs one stack at a time. Going down my inscription book shift clicking each glyph to see if it was worth crafting, then crafting and posting individually. Sure I made tons more money when I discovered QA3, but I've done it by hand before, and I can do it again if the profits are worth it :P
    These are resellers who buy the glyphs for under 2g and resell them for 5-10g to make a quick profit. It's not just glyphs that are effected by it though, it's mats for all professions being bought by people who scan the AH for cheap mats. It's just dumb lazy people not looking up prices of items they make and just trying to make quick gold.

Glyph prices will definitely go up and will probably sustain an above average price (50-60g on my server) until a month or two into Cataclysm. From there it may settle and go down a bit, but nothing in the game will really be a driving force to lower the cost of glyphs unless they reduce mat cost. So buy them now while they're low if you can.
    Last edited by sicness; 2010-10-10 at 05:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    I was glad to hear about the state of AH addons in 4.0.1 I have no issue with people who make money off the AH but with the right set of mods you almost have to do nothing yourself and that is kinda of lame.
    This is a gross overstatement, you still have to look up current prices, measure a profit, set up thresholds and keep an eye on fluctuation, check mats, cross reference mats vs a more final product, make the stuff and keep an eye on new things to make or find out what sells well.

Once you get the feel and have a good base set it's easy sure, but you're just cutting out the torture of sitting at the ah for hours constantly entering prices and setting stacks. You lose the tediousness but still have to use your head.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2010-10-11 at 04:40 AM.

Honestly there is nothing mindless about big AH sellers. There is SO much set up time and effort before you even get to the posting part. I have never spent more time and mental energy in this game until I became obsessed with the AH a few months ago. The only thing I've spent more time doing is raiding, and even then once you understand the mechanics of a fight, its just rinse and repeat. With the AH the prices, competitors, profitable items, all change from day to day and take quite a bit of work and pre-planning to really get the profits. I had never heard the term AH PvPers before, but it definitely applies.. its a battleground for sure!