Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Post 4.0.1 Warlock DPS (Thoughts)

So i've been going around some forums recently, mostly this and EJ. From what i've seen as of now (10/7/10) As a warlock (non-demo) it seems like Destruction is the way to go. Even with the nerfs it still seems to be pulling ahead imo.

Spec:
    http://wowtal.com/#k=CqyEV2W.a4d.warlock

-------------------------------------------------------

Glyphs:

Prime:
    Conflag
    Immolate
    Incinerate

Major:
    Life Tap

------ Other glyphs choices for Major/Minor Don't matter ------

Priority:

Soul Fire (over 80% w/o Buff)
    Immolate
    Bane of Doom (Bane of Havoc for Multi-Target
    Conflagrate
    Instant Soul Fire
    Chaos Bolt
    Searing Pain (If under 50% and aggro CAN handle it)
    Incinerate (If over 50% or aggro CAN NOT handle it)

Notes: (from Gherkin's 4.0.1 Post)
    -Summon Infernal/Doomguard when possible for DPS boost.
    -Same as demonology for Shadowflame [Shadowflame in Melee = DPS boos]
    -Expect Searing Pain to be nerfed or incinerate to be buffed

However i did find that Infernal is more AoE pet DPS while Doomguard is more single target DPS (May be wrong as I am going from memory)

Aggro for Searing Pain:

With Searing Pain crits sub 50% and 250% increased threat, you will be pushing up the aggro meters quickly. You should manage to be fine as long as Soulshatter is used well. If you are pushing threat and can't reduce, you can resume using Incinerate.

Apparently as of now, the Searing Pain crits are a DPS boost compared in Incinerate sub 50% currently. (may be nerfed pre-release)

As I see mistakes or changes pointed out on forum i will try to update this post.
    Last Edit : 10/7/10 5:20 EST
    Last edited by jster; 2010-10-07 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Spec Point change

Bane of Doom?..
    what's the point of you taking Bane of Havoc then?

and I love how are you talking about Metamorphosis and Felguard about Destruction spec. Yeah, right.
    Last edited by CaspianRoach; 2010-10-07 at 09:31 PM.

Doomguard is now a guardian, will not take away your current Pet, and Bane of Doom will be used on fights when you dont have two targets(most icc bosses currently)

---------- Post added 2010-10-07 at 09:43 PM ----------

The point in Bane of Havoc would be wasted in any other talent. At least now you have it for when a second target appears. You need 31 to go to new tree. Please look at Spec's before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by jster View Post
    So i've been going around some forums recently, mostly this and EJ. From what i've seen as of now (10/7/10) As a warlock (non-demo) it seems like Destruction is the way to go. Even with the nerfs it still seems to be pulling ahead imo.

Spec:
    http://wowtal.com/#k=CqyEuQ9.a4d.warlock

Glyphs:

Prime:
    Conflag
    Immolate
    Incinerate

Major:
    Life Tap

------ Other glyphs choices for Major/Minor Don't matter ------

Priority:

Soul Fire (over 80% w/o Buff)
    Immolate
    Bane of Doom (Bane of Havoc for Multi-Target
    Conflagrate
    Instant Soul Fire
    Chaos Bolt
    Searing Pain (If under 50% and aggro CAN handle it)
    Incinerate (If over 50% or aggro CAN NOT handle it)

Notes: (from Gherkin's 4.0.1 Post)
    -Summon Infernal/Doomguard when possible for DPS boost.
    -Same as demonology for Shadowflame [Shadowflame in Melee = DPS boos]
    -Expect Searing Pain to be nerfed or incinerate to be buffed

However i did find that Infernal is more AoE pet DPS while Doomguard is more single target DPS (May be wrong as I am going from memory)

Aggro for Searing Pain:

With Searing Pain crits sub 50% and 250% increased threat, you will be pushing up the aggro meters quickly. You should manage to be fine as long as Soulshatter is used well. If you are pushing threat and can't reduce, you can resume using Incinerate.

Apparently as of now, the Searing Pain crits are a DPS boost compared in Incinerate sub 50% currently. (may be nerfed pre-release)

As I see mistakes or changes pointed out on forum i will try to update this post.
    Last Edit : 10/7/10 5:20 EST

Is searing pain a dps increase over incinerate buffed from backdraft? I mean conflag>incinx3>cbolt>searing pain>refresh immo is the only way I could see casting SP and thats like 1 or 2 casts.

Currently Backlash only procs from Marrowgar's Bonestorm if you're not a retard and don't overaggro. Wouldn't it be better to spec Shadowburn to snipe dying adds to get 3 shards to play with midfight?

Quote Originally Posted by CaspianRoach View Post
    Currently Backlash only procs from Marrowgar's Bonestorm if you're not a retard and don't overaggro. Wouldn't it be better to spec Shadowburn to snipe dying adds to get 3 shards to play with midfight?
    Who is talking about Backlash though?

10+ Year Old Account
    I really dont think searing pain will be viable on normal fights, only on fights where aggro isnt an issue.
    If it turns out to be, i'm sure it wont stay that way for long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Who is talking about Backlash though?
    provided spec does

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I really dont think searing pain will be viable on normal fights, only on fights where aggro isnt an issue.
    If it turns out to be, i'm sure it wont stay that way for long anyway.
    It is only better when target is above 50% hp. By that time if you start to suddenly peel target from the tank, which is unlikely due to recently buffed tank threat + stacked Vengeance, you can Soulshatter 90% of your threat and Searing Pain all the way. Shatter is 2 min cd iirc too.
    Last edited by CaspianRoach; 2010-10-07 at 09:52 PM.

Oh well it's a shitty spell now for PVE I woulda taken one point in aftermath instead.

Is searing pain a dps increase over incinerate buffed from backdraft? I mean conflag>incinx3>cbolt>searing pain>refresh immo is the only way I could see casting SP and thats like 1 or 2 casts.

From what i've seen on the other threads Searing pain is currently beating backdraft incin.

Quote Originally Posted by jster View Post
    From what i've seen on the other threads Searing pain is currently beating backdraft incin.
    Really what other threads?

Oh well it's a shitty spell now for PVE I woulda taken one point in aftermath instead.
    "Now" would imply it was good at any point before. And how can you call a spell that gives you free 3 shards "shitty"? Free instant Soul Fires, sup.

http://wowtal.com/#k=CqyEV2W.a4d.warlock

Spec changed with the point into 3 shards. Had it in previous spec from earlier but changed to think for melee, switched back after some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by CaspianRoach View Post
    "Now" would imply it was good at any point before. And how can you call a spell that gives you free 3 shards "shitty"? Free instant Soul Fires, sup.
    NOW I am referring to backlash not shadowburn. Now backlash IS good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Searing Pain, for my tests, was beating Incinerate. However, I've been informed that Incinerate currently does not benefit from Shadow and Flame, which means it's missing some of its damage potential. I believe your rotation to be the correct one Dethh, but I cannot confirm.

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    Adds don't provide experience, so shadowburn seems useless to me.
    SP doesn't consume Backdraft procs.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Searing Pain, for my tests, was beating Incinerate. However, I've been informed that Incinerate currently does not benefit from Shadow and Flame, which means it's missing some of its damage potential. I believe your rotation to be the correct one Dethh, but I cannot confirm.
    If thats the case its pretty clunky and probably not intended. If you are correct about the S&F not buffing incinerate that would make alot of sense. Incinerate hits like a wet kitten atm (compared to other classes main nuke)

Deleted
    agree with cojak, Shadowburn

Instantly blasts the target for 737.53 to 823.38 Shadow damage. If the target dies within 5 sec of Shadowburn, AND yields experience or honor, the caster gains 3 Soul Shards. Only usable on enemies that have less than 20% health.

adds dont give xp or honor so its a pvp/leveling talent, so for 4.0 not really worth spending a point in raid wise

Quote Originally Posted by souldrain View Post
    adds dont give xp or honor
    Um? No, adds usually do.

Not that it matters, now that Demon Soul doesn't use shards they kinda suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomcloud View Post
    Um? No, adds usually do.

Not that it matters, now that Demon Soul doesn't use shards they kinda suck.
    This is a 4.0.1 thread u can't get xp at max lvl,so unless you get honor from adds .........