Thread: Concerned....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrix View Post
    Alienware is awesome.

If you want to pay 50% more then the actual hardware is worth.
    didnt i just say that? lol

Unless you have an ancient computer there is nothing to worry about.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

10+ Year Old Account
    The southernmost capital city in the world, NZ
    I think a more pressing issue would be WoW's current over-reliance on the CPU. I recently purchased myself a Geforce GTX460 (upgrading from a 9800GT), and the frame rate only improved slightly. With Cata reputedly supporting DX11, that will hopefully start changing for the better.

I'm in deep crap, i only have about 1.5 gigs of DDR2 left.

Honestly, if you're running a small SSD then you just made a mistake. Yeah they're fast but the technology just isn't there yet (it fucks itself up as you use it) and they're still too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Imoffline View Post
    Anyone else besides me concerned with how large WoW is going to be after Cataclysm hits Dec. 7. I'm not talking about how large the world already is, we all know how huge it is. I am more concerned with the Gigs.

Now I know that there have been several threads talking about how large World of Warcraft will be after Cataclysm hits. What I am wondering is how are they going to be able to keep people interested in the game when it can take up to 50 or more gigs of space on ones computer. If Cata goes down as 20 or so gigs like they said it could, wouldn't that make this game up to around 45 gigs taken on the computer?

I know most people probably are gonna tell me, "Dude just get a larger drive they are cheap now" or "You have a laptop with not enough space? Too bad get a new laptop."

Be honest here. How large do you think World of warcraft in the next few years will grow to?

(I already called over 9000)

Mmm, as games get bigger so does the amount of storage on HDD's and SSD's. It's not really a question of if the game is going to be too big, but how annoying it is to re-install it when needed, due to new PC, crash or w/e.

And on average, with all content updates and such an expansion probably adds.. idk ~6-8GB total over what you alrdy have. Tops. So in the next few years, if it's still going strong, it will probably hit ~25GB or so.

Oh, later edit: I use and 80GB SSD, and a WD Raptor as storage/applications. It's a 2nd gen Intel, I've had it for ~11 months and I couldn't be happier, not even one hiccup or issue yet. I picked up a second one for my lappy... amazing boost in performance. Some poeple choose to adopt early, some do not. I like to adopt early because I know what I'm dealing with when they refine it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by phyrix View Post
    Alienware is awesome.

If you want to pay 50% more then the actual hardware is worth.
    Meh.

more like 200%
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

15+ Year Old Account
    You dont need a huge drive for your pc, myself i got 150gig for system files, rest of it is on an 2TB external drive, problem fixed

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Yes the beta is only about 18gb, but there is currently alot of data being streamed in the beta (which gets pretty annoying at times because some stuff loads very slow).

So it feels like the final client will be abit bigger.

OT: Even if it would be as big as 50gb, who doesn't have a hdd with that kind of space on it?

A 200gb hdd is basicly free these days.
    Hardly. I'm as cheap as they get, I still play WoW on a system with a P4 processor.

You should backup all your old patches onto a DVD/something else and then remove them from your HD if you are very concerned with the space.

As others have said, HD space is very cheap.

I'd be more concerned with hard drive failure than hard drive capacity, a lot of people never back up anything.

My entire WoW folder takes 25GB at the moment, and I can't imagine that going over 40gb with cataclysm.