Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Landscape of wow

This is why I believe that overall, Wotlk was a failure to me.
    - The overall view of MOST of the zones were not that great. In almost all the zones, you could find snow somewhere, which isn't all that great to look at.
    - All of the raids in BC looked terrific. Walking into SSC for the first time was amazing, and Kara was just as good. Zul Aman was another zone that looked pretty good.

When you do something, you can just look at it to tell if you want to do it or not. By looking at most zones in wotlk, it didn't encourage me to want to complete the zone, raid, except for Ulduar, which was amazing.

I havent really looked at the zones in Cata, because I dont play this game anymore, just like to look at the site.

10+ Year Old Account
    What you said about snow being everywhere there is practically saying "I HATE THE NORTH POLE BECAUSE ITS ONLY SNOW!" seriously... come on now

---------- Post added 2010-10-07 at 07:17 PM ----------

I mean, don't get me wrong, i hated wotlk... alot but come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Zu View Post
    What you said about snow being everywhere there is practically saying "I HATE THE NORTH POLE BECAUSE ITS ONLY SNOW!" seriously... come on now

---------- Post added 2010-10-07 at 07:17 PM ----------

I mean, don't get me wrong, i hated wotlk... alot but come on...
    The reason i said that was because constantly looking at white can get pretty boring pretty fast

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dgarner32 View Post
    The reason i said that was because constantly looking at white can get pretty boring pretty fast
    Well what should they do? they can't make stormpeaks a huge pool of lava and Dragon blight a lush forest.

Actually I'm really impreessed how Blizzard actually made Northrend so diverse.
    A Troll zone, The fjords, the Tundra, heck they even built in a tropical forest up there. And even the 3 "snow zones" are very distinctive. It's not like it's repetitive.

Erm, I may be wrong here, but isn't there usually snow in, you know, northern places? Where it tends to be colder? I would personally be pissed if there was a desert in Northrend.

That being said, snow is a very superficial thing to say made Wrath a failure for you.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

Why do you visit this site if you dont play...?
    I agree wotlk zones were a little dull. Snow, ice, shadows, etc and 2 grassy areas? Creativity at its finest. /sarcasm

Zangarmarsh/Blades Edge are the most original looking zones in game, I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Wrath wasn't a "failure" by any reasonable definition. Ulduar was amazing and ICC was pretty damned good. If a lack of sufficiently pretty wall textures prevented you from being excited about killing Lich King, I don't know what to tell you.

I think WotLK has beautiful zones. They are very diverse for the most part. I believe only Storm Peaks does not change much in visuals. The problem I see is that the starting zones (Boring Tundra and Howling Fjord) are the weakest, so it gets dull right there.

Having said that, Dragonblight is perhaps the best zone in WoW as far as lore, different quests and storyline are concerned. Even the landscape there changes quite a bit depending on where you are. Epic quests, three raid instances there, it is the best WotLK has to offer, honestly.

Icecrown would be second, with its starting quests being so very nice. However, once we got there our characters were already level 80, so unless one loves lore (like I do), those great quests were most likely skipped.

I am big fan of Outland myself, those zones are some of my favourites, but WotLK zones were FAR, FAR from being bad.

I have to disagree with the OP here. Shadowmoon,and Helfire were the exact same only with a colour change (red ground to black ground, red fire to green fire) Netherstorm is practically the same as both of those except purple and with the cool domes. Nagrand and Blades Edge are awesome to look at from pretty much anywhere, but blades edge is horrible to level in without a mount. Terrokar and Zanga are well designed zones and I think Shat and Auch are really cool but there is too much tree cover doesn't look that great flying over.

They really tried hard to make t so it wasn't all snow in northrend and I commend their effort. Most zones have a very distinguishable landmark, and trees (very prominent in many zones in the game) look much better in northrend. The saronite towers in Icecrown, All of the titan architecture (especially the "caves" in storm peaks), the giant tree in grizzly hills, the nexus, Utagaurd keep, Wyrmrest Temple, and the whole concept of Zul drak are great to look at.

I'm very excited for cata it seems blizzard has upped the panoramic vistas, and zone flow and questing. The redone world will make the game so fresh and probably keep me busy on new alts for a while.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You liked SSC? Sunwell and Kara looked freakin awesome yes, but SSC? No way. Oh and my favorite raid of all times in terms of looks has to be Ulduar, the way it varies between bosses etc is just awesome.

Best scenery in game:

SMV
    hellfire
    zangarmarsh
    azhara
    netherstorm
    grizzly hills
    storm peaks (maybe)
    STV
    blackrock mountain (inside)
    winterspring
    Thousand needles (i like it, but i understand why others don't)
    nagrand

and from what I have seen in beta videos...

Uldum
    Mount Hyjal (maybe)
    twilight highlands (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Why do you visit this site if you dont play...?
    I agree wotlk zones were a little dull. Snow, ice, shadows, etc and 2 grassy areas? Creativity at its finest. /sarcasm

Zangarmarsh/Blades Edge are the most original looking zones in game, I think
    Go to northrend in WCIII and see how much diversity it is. WoW Northrend is good, believe me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Snow? In Northrend? The Frozen North? Impossible! Improbable! It doesn't make any sense at all!

In all seriousness... can you honestly say that Ulduar and Icecrown Citadel didn't have amazing visuals? Both raids are absolutely beautiful in their own way. Icecrown has that evil feel that is completely necessary for the final raid... and Ulduar? Just amazing in its crazy wonderment!
    And Serpentshrine Cavern wasn't very impressive looking, to be honest. Neither was Gruul's Lair.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's not a zone in Wrath that I would say doesn't look good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dgarner32 View Post
    This is why I believe that overall, Wotlk was a failure to me.
    - The overall view of MOST of the zones were not that great. In almost all the zones, you could find snow somewhere, which isn't all that great to look at.
    - All of the raids in BC looked terrific. Walking into SSC for the first time was amazing, and Kara was just as good. Zul Aman was another zone that looked pretty good.

When you do something, you can just look at it to tell if you want to do it or not. By looking at most zones in wotlk, it didn't encourage me to want to complete the zone, raid, except for Ulduar, which was amazing.

I havent really looked at the zones in Cata, because I dont play this game anymore, just like to look at the site.
    You've got to be joking me that's like saying "GUISE THESE ZONES ARE SHITE ITS A JUNGLE THEMED EXPANSION BUT THERES PALM TREES AND EXOTIC SHIT EVERYWHERE AMG WHY THIS IS SILLY"

But yeah off the top of my head the only properly snowy themed zones are icecrown, storm peaks & borean tundra. (notice how they all have snowy/frosty type names)

10+ Year Old Account
    *inserts subjective opinion here

The only zones I didnt like are Dragonblight and Icecrown. I loved the Storm Peaks, I liked Howling Fjord, SB was beautiful. Considering they could have made it all snow I think they did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Andymion View Post
    The only zones I didnt like are Dragonblight and Icecrown. I loved the Storm Peaks, I liked Howling Fjord, SB was beautiful. Considering they could have made it all snow I think they did a good job.
    This. I hated dragonblight and icecrown. I wasn't too impressed by Zul'Drak either, but I appreciate the variation

just another thread displaying the efforts humans go to complain.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they had made zones like Grizzly Hills, Crystalsong Forest, Zul Drak and Sholazar Basin relevant at 80 I would have been a lot happier with the game. Putting all the content into 2 zones (Icecrown and Storm Peaks) really created a cramped feeling to Northrend, and didnt explore its amazing scenery.

I couldnt wait to at least to have dailes or new content in Crystalsong (you could tell it would have had something eventually before Blizz ever admitted ToC was supposed to be there). Outlands was amazing because every zone was different and you had to go to a few of them even at 80.

Overall the design of Northrend was fantastic, but not the execution to take advantage of the design.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3