View Poll Results: Will WoW ever have 13 million players?

Voters
143. This poll is closed
  • Yes

134 93.71%
  • No

9 6.29%

Thread: 13 Million?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Cataclysm will probably bring about around 6 billion subscribers. That is obviously over 13 million.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would be shocked it cataclysm dosnt do it

now that old zones will be better i see no reason why ppl would quit early

I'ts going to take a while to be bored of cata

this poll is pointless considering your asking a wow fansite about wow subscription

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine the population expanding until the day Blizzard announces that there will be no future content for WoW.

will the sky turn blue tommorrow? 1 for yes 2 for no!

Artwork Credit: Rayde of MMO Champion.

I think its mostly "marketing." I'm a bit skeptical as to the size of the player base... they just hit 12 million mark after release of wotlk in china (I guess they had only vanilla and burning crusade for the past 5 years)

As far as the report being anything meaningful, they're saying they have 12 million people playing currently, and for the past year there hasn't really been any new content since they've been working on cataclysm, so a lot of people froze their accounts, intending to come back for cataclysm or take a wait and see approach, but as far as 12 million PLAYERS in our world of warcraft, I don't think so.

I don't consider gold sellers and reactivated hacked accounts as part of the player base....blizzard might (a lot of accounts get hacked after becoming inactive for a few months, the characters are played, sold, deleted, the monthly subscription fee is paid) so if you want to include both of these, sure it could hit 20 million, especially if the asian markets stop censoring/banning warcraft. there's over a billion people in china, 20% of the world's population and WoW is a business, employment for a lot of asian "players"

if the numbers are reflective (I'm not sure how much china makes up of the current subscriptions, but I think they could have a lot more players since they comprise 20% of the world's population and they have like 1.5 BILLION people (thats 1 million x 1500 people)

---------- Post added 2010-10-09 at 06:19 AM ----------

The interesting thing is how much more longevity does WoW have as blizzard had already stated in interviews that its lived longer than they expected but will "continue to develop new WoW content as long as there's a demand." so yes its their flagship and its hugely popular, but in the same interview they discussed it being replaced by their next MMO (which will be nothing like WoW since they want to break ground on the next big thing) and there's other MMO's being developed of course, its only a matter of time, I think 1-3 years before the technology is just completely out of date or another MMO "kills" warcraft... it will happen, whether its one big MMO or 5 other MMO like star wars, aeon or whatever... they suck the player base away, albeit not the entire player base. someone will develop some rudimentary virtual reality and that will surely put the nail in the coffin when it becomes slightly viable

I love wow and I want it do well but every other MMO that loses as much steam as wow has since it's inception starts to dwindle at about this point. Cataclysm will be a good expansion, but after this WoW will begin to go down hill. This isn't to say WoW is bad or will go away. Just expect WoW to either top off or decline slightly by the end of Cata.

Wow still has a good 5-10 years before blizzard move onto something else / another mmo takes the reins ( unlikely)