Poll: What do you think of clicking in PvP?

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zinnin View Post
    The easiest way to explain the clicker versus key binder debate is this:

a very good clicker, can be faster then a key binder, however

The best clicker is in no way, going to be better then the best key binder.

And that could even be proven as simple as: a good keybinder can play without bars on his screen which allows for them to play with a more clean screen which allows for a lot more focus on whats actually going on.

Lets say your playing a FPS, you have all your buttons key-bound my default. Now lets say your really stubborn and decide that you want to make it so you have to be able to use your mouse. You now use keys to aim, and use your mouse to select weapons and shoot. Obviously no one does that..for a reason.

I love this analogy, seriously, might have to quote this...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Call me a nolife, cuz my life has been a reall puzzle lately.
    What kind of a puzzle are we talking about here, jigsaw, rubix, riddle, freecell? Come on help me out. It's best to talk about these things.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2010-10-09 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnin View Post
    The easiest way to explain the clicker versus key binder debate is this:

a very good clicker, can be faster then a key binder, however

The best clicker is in no way, going to be better then the best key binder.

And that could even be proven as simple as: a good keybinder can play without bars on his screen which allows for them to play with a more clean screen which allows for a lot more focus on whats actually going on.

Lets say your playing a FPS, you have all your buttons key-bound my default. Now lets say your really stubborn and decide that you want to make it so you have to be able to use your mouse. You now use keys to aim, and use your mouse to select weapons and shoot. Obviously no one does that..for a reason.
    That is exactly the point I was trying to make with my god of war analogy, thank you.

I just want to add that while it is your $15 a month, and you can play however you damn well please (be it keybinding or clicking), it will limit your ability to do some things. I don't think many top end guilds are going to choose the clicker if they have a choice between a clicker with a 300ms reaction time, and a keybinder with a 150ms reaction time. Over time, having a slightly larger reaction time WILL eventually cause a mistake, and any reasonably competitive group will look for their best choice.

Cuz the ''flaws'' i'm talking about are gems, enchants, maybe glyphs. For gems and enchants, they're all blue, got no epic gems, same with enchants. I'd rather pay 20g for 80AP than pay 300g for 100AP. I don't spend my days on forums to know how to gems, so i know my gems/enchant setting might not be the bests, and i do know a lot of flamers would start pointing these out.

Plus gear shouldn't even matter. Rating may mean alot though, but then i've seen people being carried through 2000+ in 3v3 or 5v5 so it's kind of tricky. It's hard to tell the skill of someone by looking at his stats, but a lot of people like to judge.

15+ Year Old Account
    ok, OP, i'm not sure what type of validation you're looking for here, but i'm not gonna flame you.

i used to be a bit of a clicker, then i realized stuff that i can't account for is happening in between the gaps of me looking down at what icon to click and back up into the field.

efficiency or not, keybinds allow you to never take your eyes off of the battle or encounter. i don't care how good you think you are, but you're always going to run into someone and they don't even hafta be better than you, they could be equal and still manage to beat you just because they can execute their abilities flawlessly and still control their character without much mistake.

"yeah, but i'm so used to the placement of my icons that i can use my peripheral vision to click, i don't need to take my eyes away"

how do you kite and select targets at the same time? how can you click a target then start clicking moves, what if you need to switch targets? you're gonna tab target? what if you target something you don't want? you just wasted a couple of GCDs and probably lost it for your team (assuming you even do arena and aren't just talking about 1v1 BG situations.)

also, if you're clicking how do you turn your camera to see what's around you and kite at the same time? i know you've had to do this at one point or another playing a shaman. is this even something you're able to do?

i remember before i even started using keybinds, i used the number pad to bind moves because i didn't really know any better and i used to physically take my hand off of the mouse and hover over the num pad before i started binding stuff to the actual keyboard.

same thing with addons. i used to swear by not needing addons to be good at PVP and refused to use them for the longest time. but that mentality doesn't make you any better at the game, it just holds you back. also, there's a big difference between being good and being successful. someday you'll realize this and make the switch, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by frunken View Post
    What kind of a puzzle are we talking about here, jigsaw, rubix, riddle, freecell, come on help me out? It's best to talk about these things.
    Haha =D more like having a parent with brain cancer, and that i'm kind of confused on my career choice. So i'd say it's a jigsaw

10+ Year Old Account
    How often did i see some threads where they say ''Hyuk hyuk u dont use keybindz then ur a n00b!!!111!1!!''

WOW... i've been PvPing with my enhance shaman and some other characters for a while like an arcane mage, a fury/arms warrior, and a shadow priest. I often top out the charts, and when i try arena i win most of the games... and never... never have i used a single keybind.

I use AWSD keys to move, and i click on my abilities with my mouse, i think i have like... 2 or 3 macros
    Maybe if you used keybinds you would win all the games

They are not mandatory, but it is kind of like running in sandals when you have PF Flyers.

15+ Year Old Account
    key binding is better applys more to pvp.

I play a boomkin and pally tank, I have 3 or 4 addons total. I consistently run heroics where my dmg as a clicker boomkin is equal or more than everyone else. In ICC I'm usually 2nd or 3rd behind our 6.3k gs hardcores.

I love when a patch comes and everyone is like 'omg need mah addons'. I've been playing since release with the blizz ui.

All this talk about being better at pve if you keybind is crap. I consistently smoke dudes who spend hours configuring their keybinds.

PVP is a different story though. I can't imagine too many clickers are way at the top of the pile in arena just due to the rediculous timing you have to have. You can get killed pretty fast taking time to move the mouse, find a square and click on it, meanwhile the 12 year old playing the nelf rogue named 'legolazz' which is wtfpwning you has simply moved his finger a quarter inch to the right and countered what you were going to do already.

So yea.. pvp key binds good. Pve... doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    OP you say you pvp and own people, may I ask in what kind of pvp content? Any 2k+ rated arena matches perhaps?
    Probably mostly owns other clickers who have only been playing a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    I never used them until I got my Razer Naga Now I cannot live without using the buttons I keybinded to the mouse.
    Same here. I still click my attacks but have all CDs macro'd (Frost DK). Still working out the best keybinds for my resto/ boomkin Druid.

To OP: you cannot win this argument, trust me i tried a while back. Clicking for PVE is very viable, especially in a situation like mine with a razer naga for CDs amongst other things, however I highly doubt your success in PVP as a clicker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in BC I thought I was a badass when I entered BG's because I thought I could run laps around the enemy while turning with my keyboard... I also thought fury was good for pvp. I would like to go back in time a few years and kick my own ass. If you keyboard turn you are not maximizing your potential. You might not be terrible, but you can be MUCH better.

@msdos, you're probably right that the potential with keybinds is higher. But then i guess i don,t really seek to master PvP. I always took WoW as a game, and putting so much efforts into a single thing simply bores me.

I do love WoW though, i want to keep my progression and try every raids, i want to try arenas, every class and every spec. But I'm not the kind to try becoming a master of PvP, or an end-game raider with the most uber gear.

I like to discover, but not to master

15+ Year Old Account
    @msdos, you're probably right that the potential with keybinds is higher. But then i guess i don,t really seek to master PvP. I always took WoW as a game, and putting so much efforts into a single thing simply bores me.

I do love WoW though, i want to keep my progression and try every raids, i want to try arenas, every class and every spec. But I'm not the kind to try becoming a master of PvP, or an end-game raider with the most uber gear.

I like to discover, but not to master
    i feel you. if you're not trying to be the leetest PVPer out there, then there's no point at all in binding anything, especially if it means having to readjust your playstyle. i told this same thing to my friends when Starcraft 2 came out:

"bro you suck, how come you don't bind your units or your hatchery? howcome you click so much" because i'm not trying to be the best in diamond rating, my mind enjoys the simplicity of not trying to hop onto that learning curve and just play the way i enjoy playing.

so just play the way you enjoy playing, then improve when the time calls for it, imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eis View Post
    I used to click. I realized how horribly inefficient I was being with my buttonz, bound shit, and got a lot better.

If you want to be the best you can be, you bind keys. If you're content being mediocre, click.
    pretty much this

10+ Year Old Account
    Plus gear shouldn't even matter. Rating may mean alot though, but then i've seen people being carried through 2000+ in 3v3 or 5v5 so it's kind of tricky. It's hard to tell the skill of someone by looking at his stats, but a lot of people like to judge.
    Perhaps you're right about some people's high rating might not mean that they ARE GOOD and not always being able to judge that. But a 900 rating makes it very easy to judge that you're NOT GOOD. It's pretty easy to get over 1k in boas and blues. Maybe not so much if you click...

Aerie Peak 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 86 / 90 / 90 Kel'Thuzad 90 Tichondrius 90 / 90

I have been a long time clicker, since vanilla in fact, and have recently switched to keybinds to see the difference. Ultimately, I feel that there hasn't been much of a change, although I'm still adjusting. Some things currently feel much easier to do, such as maintaining my rotation (just to let you know, my rotation is still the same with the same reaction time, it just doesn't feel so rushed). Although I have keybinds now, I still have many CD based abilities unbinded, and as a paladin, I have quite a few, so in a sense I still click.

I would like to say to people who are against clickers that 1) Clickers can use mouse turns the same way you do, only an idiot of a clicker would actually use the turn buttons! 2) There really isn't a wait for a clicker to move the arrow from one ability to another, any self respecting clicker would have all his most important abilities on the 2 closest bars.

Although I was a clicker before, I must admit, even when I clicked, I healed with a keybind/click combo. clicking your target and then your abilities is a huge time waster, as a healer every second counts and those lost seconds from moving to click could be the difference between a wipe or clear. I still just click on my target and than hit my heal keybinds.

Ultimately, I feel that keybinding is much easier to do and as a result can lead to better results, but if you are accustomed to clicking and do well at it than there is no reason to worry about making the switch. After all, this is just a game, a game that leaves room for downtime as most games should. Play the way you feel most comfortable with because you are going to do better and have more fun playing the game with your preferred playstle.

You can 'react' with a key press (e.g. I have alt-3 as slowfall on my mage, frostnova on '4')
    With a mouse button you can only 'act', move mouse, click button.

Reaction can become reflexive, and thus fast - action cannot.

10+ Year Old Account
    How often did i see some threads where they say ''Hyuk hyuk u dont use keybindz then ur a n00b!!!111!1!!''

WOW... i've been PvPing with my enhance shaman and some other characters for a while like an arcane mage, a fury/arms warrior, and a shadow priest. I often top out the charts, and when i try arena i win most of the games... and never... never have i used a single keybind.

I use AWSD keys to move, and i click on my abilities with my mouse, i think i have like... 2 or 3 macros

I guess i'm just tired of those elitists saying keybinds are a MUST and if you don't use them you're a noob.
    OK 1st ur prob not that high ratted in arena im guessing you have to keybind to get 2k+ and 2nd you wont pull effective dps in complex fights that you need to turn and move while dpsing and you will get FAR LESS globals then a keybinder with snowfall keypress

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    It's possible. I mean, a few nukes/debuffs and one CC? You could probably click the rest, since you'd only need them sporadically.

Like I said, fairly well. You wouldn't be at your best, but assuming you were competent enough, you'd be pretty good.
    I decided I wasn't gonna reply to this thread but this one was unresistable.

What class & spec are you speaking off?

Just to optimalide my dps(rotation) I use a good 5 skills, not counting any aoe abilities, add those and it's 9, 10 in 4.0 and 12 at 85. Now add the cc (roots & cyclone), the enrage dispelling via Soothe and the short-term
    "mini" cc via silence (or just call it utility), dispelling poison/curses (1 keybind come 4.0), stampeding roar for more utility and stuff like hyperspeed gloves, rocket boots (extremely usefull, any1 that uses them properly can vouch).

Now tell me how many keybinds those are all together (and these ain't even all of them).

Exactly. Nowhere near the 5 you claim are needed. And that goes for ANY class/spec-combo.

/thread was called on page #1.