Thread: MM mastery cap?

MM mastery cap?

If this is already posted somewhere I apologize for the repeat, but I got to thinking about mastery for MM and if it's a percentage base proc, it has to have a cap at 100% chance, right?

So I got to doing some math (not my strongest suit so if it's wrong I'm sorry!!!) We start with a base 14.4% Wild Quiver proc chance, meaning we'd need 85.6% more at 1.8%/mastery to reach 100% proc chance. Using my gear on the PTR I got a mastery rating:mastery ratio of 45.9:1.

I did 85.6 / 1.8 to give mastery needed, which is 47.55 mastery needed to cap. Using the ratio I found it ends up being 2183 mastery rating to give us 100% chance to proc an additional shot off of all ranged abilities. This also applies to Ele shaman, Arms warriors, and Combat rogues, all of whom have a proc based masteries like MM does.

is there an ICD on the proc though?

I don't think so. I was testing DPS earlier and my MSBT showed (2 Crit, 2 Hit) or whatever it says when it combines numbers, so I don't think there's an ICD

Mastery will not scale all the way to 100% like that. It almost certainly has to have diminishing returns. If somebody can prove me wrong, I'll concede that, but you shouldn't be able to get 100% Mastery anymore than you should be able to get 100% dodge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be surprised if they gave Mastery a DR...they'd most likely nerf it first. That's what they did to Survival, after all.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

your math would seem to be correct sir, but how likely is it to get 2k mastery rating? granted..... by the time we get to patch 4.4 or stats are gonna be inflated quite a bit and you can stack gems and enchants plus reforging to get alot of mastery.... but at what cost?

I can see getting around 1200 mastery rating eventually, but no where near 2183 needed to max out, assuming there is no mastery cap.

I seem to remember that there is soft caps in all ratings now.... so you hit like 750 and now you only get 1 mastery per 66 rating, then you hit 1000 and it's 1 mastery per 90 or something.... trying to find blue post for it....

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    I would be surprised if they gave Mastery a DR...they'd most likely nerf it first. That's what they did to Survival, after all.
    Blizz has said that Mastery is going to scale differently for every class, so I don't see why they couldn't give it DR for the ones where it has a proc chance. A 100% proc rate or even anywhere near it would be ridonculous.

---------- Post added 2010-10-10 at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Myte342 View Post
    your math would seem to be correct sir, but how likely is it to get 2k mastery rating? granted..... by the time we get to patch 4.4 or stats are gonna be inflated quite a bit and you can stack gems and enchants plus reforging to get alot of mastery.... but at what cost?

I can see getting around 1200 mastery rating eventually, but no where near 2183 needed to max out, assuming there is no mastery cap.

I seem to remember that there is soft caps in all ratings now.... so you hit like 750 and now you only get 1 mastery per 66 rating, then you hit 1000 and it's 1 mastery per 90 or something.... trying to find blue post for it....
    That'd be exactly what I'm talking about, diminishing returns. Even if it was technically possible to hit the 100%, you'd have to have more mastery than actually possible to have.

The mastery rating : points conversion won't change, they'll just reduce the % you gain per point of mastery as we get higher into the tiers. See: armor penetration nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    The mastery rating : points conversion won't change, they'll just reduce the % you gain per point of mastery as we get higher into the tiers. See: armor penetration nerf.
    Ha.... yeah that would work too, but with built in soft cap DR's they might not need to do that at all.

As a blood DK I scaled my mastery up to 112%, though it could be different on other classes.

The amount of mastery rating needed to get 1 mastery at 85 is 180, so it only takes ~8500 mastery to cap at 85. Best of luck stacking that much mastery...

Honestly I'm not even going to say it's impossible. I'm going to say it would require stacking mastery gear and mastery gems and reforging mastery and completely gimping all your other stats. It will do horrible things to your DPS.

There is no need for diminishing returns on Mastery, it's like Crit except only on certain abilities.

The reason dodge and armor have diminishing returns is because they scale better than linearly. Without a dimishing return X rating gives Y% effect no matter what % effect you start at. Imagine you have 10% dodge and gain 10% more. You went from getting hit 90% of the time to getting hit 80% of the time. You are now taking 89% of the damage you were taking. Now suppose you have 50% dodge and gain 10% more. This works out to taking 80% as much damage as you were before, hence 10% dodge at 50% dodge is better than 10% dodge at 10% dodge, ie better than linear scaling.

Now lets work it out with mastery. Lets say you have 20% chance to wild quiver and go to 30% chance you just went from 120% white damage to 130% white damage a gain of 8.3% white damage. Now go from 50% to 60% and you gain 6.7% white damage. In essence it's already diminished.

Avoidance is actually diminished to sub linear scaling for reasons archaic and exceptionally hard to explain (mostly because there are extra benefits to avoiding an attack). Armor is diminished to linear scaling, each point of armor reduces incoming physical damage just as much as the last in terms of percentage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Ahh ok, I didn't know the ratio changed, although I should have figured it does. I was working with lvl 80 numbers.

You cant get even close to 100% mastery as lvl 80 because the only way you can get mastery is reforging.
    I reforged every single piece of my gear to have mastery on it while staying hit capped and I only was able to get at 20 mastery (12 from gear) which is 36% - I have full 264 gear.

And as lvl 85? Well the trick that escaped you is mastery rating conversion. At that level you need 179,28 mastery rating to get 1 mastery point = 1.8% mastery. That means you would need more than 8500 mastery rating to get to 100%.

Are you still afraid of "capping" mastery?

---------- Post added 2010-10-11 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxZarin View Post
    As a blood DK I scaled my mastery up to 112%, though it could be different on other classes.
    Blood DK mastery is totally different mechanic (increases absorbed damage based on how much you heal with Death Strike by percentage) and is a lot steeper (6.25% per mastery point). That is not at all comparable to chance to proc.
    Last edited by Deepfriedegg; 2010-10-11 at 02:26 PM.