Poll: Controller or actual movement?

Deleted

Controller or Movement? What do you prefer?

Hey all,
    At school at the moment and I am doing a project about the gaming industry. One of the subjects will be: The Future Of Gaming.
    One of the subjects I'll be discussing here will be the new microsoft's development: Kinect.
    And ofcourse Sony's rip off: Move..
    Now my question is:
    Do you prefer your controller or does the new Kinect / Move / Wii (lol) sound super awesome to you (E.g. ducking, running, shooting, trowing nades in CoD)?
    So simple: Controller / Keyboard +Mouse or Actual Movement (Wii, Kinect, Move, etc..)
    Last edited by mmoc024df400bd; 2010-10-12 at 04:47 PM.

I choose "Controller / Keyboard + Mouse."

While the others hold a place in gaming and may possibly be the future, it's not the laid back(lazy) gaming experience I enjoy.

If I want to move and burn things at the same time...
    Ill go walking. It really burns calories.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Project Natals, Moves and Wii's of the present and future are probably something that will catch on with, and stay with a very casual crowd. To only be played with very particular pickup and play games. Tennis, Bowling.. Running simulators. The players who want to play a game for a couple of hours of immersion will prefer to have all the controls under their two palms for accuracy and twitch game play.

I'll keep calling it Project Natal for no reason. =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Controller/Keyboard&Mouse
    The motion controllers do not provide for a lengthy gaming experience as there will be fatigue and other factors keeping those types of controllers from long-term use. For games that require movement and such, like WoW, you would never want to use a motion controller for 4-5 hour sessions and being able to do multiple tasks with motion controllers is still lacking on all platforms. Like Twiggy said, they are really for a casual crowd.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted motion controls I'd play a real sport.. equally fun and better exercise.

They can be good for party events, but other than
    that, I don't see a use for motion controls tbh.

Deleted
    Kinect etc. are like the Nintendo Wii. They are primarily social gaming devices.

Great fun with friends and family, but you won't play it solo for more than an hour at once.

The nature of movement control is that it is somewhat exhausting. Us core-gamers, which most of us here are, like to spend multiple hours on end playing a game. There is no way we could do so with movement control.

And MMO like WoW simply wouldn't work with movement control, just like most other "serious" games. This is ignoring the fact that movement devices are also not very accurate.

Serious games and movement control simply cancel each other out. It doesn't mean a mouse + keyboard will never be replaced, it just means that the replacement device needs to offer benefits that enhance the gaming experience with more intuitive/accurate control mechanism or some expanded form of feedback for enhanced immersion.

The "Motion Control" craze at the moment is like the motion control craze of the early 90's. It was awesome that you could shoot ducks at the screen with a computerized gun, but after a while, it was realized that it was a gimmick, and wasn't so great. So companies ditched it for the most part and went back to controllers.

Now, for some retarded reason, people suddenly think that motion control is the wave of the future, once again. So much so that when one gaming company did it (Nintendo), the rest felt they had to 'catch up'. I am just going to wait a year until it is realized that it is still as much of a gimmick now as it was in the 90's.
    Last edited by Daginni; 2010-10-12 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously thought that the Wii was going to be good. I now only use it for virtual console games. What was I thinking?
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

Keyboard+Mouse, always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

I like both but depends on the game, if its a more serious game instead of party like game i want a controller/mouse and keyboard, if its a party game then the actual movement is pretty good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    If I wanted motion controls I'd play a real sport.. equally fun and better exercise.
    Pretty much this.

It comes down to, when I play game I want to sit on my ass and be lazy.

I can't be lazy with a Wii, or Kinect.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    Pretty much this.

It comes down to, when I play game I want to sit on my ass and be lazy.

I can't be lazy with a Wii, or Kinect.
    This is true. But for platform games on Wii it is basicly controller + shaking(maybe), Ex the super mario games. And also I think one of the reasons people buy Wii sport games is because its alot easier than a real sport, they dont have to go through years of training.
    (。◔‸◔。✿)

Quote Originally Posted by Erágon View Post
    Hey all,
    At school at the moment and I am doing a project about the gaming industry. One of the subjects will be: The Future Of Gaming.
    One of the subjects I'll be discussing here will be the new microsoft's development: Kinect.
    And ofcourse Sony's rip off: Move..
    Now my question is:
    Do you prefer your controller or does the new Kinect / Move / Wii (lol) sound super awesome to you (E.g. ducking, running, shooting, trowing nades in CoD)?
    So simple: Controller / Keyboard +Mouse or Actual Movement (Wii, Kinect, Move, etc..)
    Maybe instead you should do it about the original one for the Wii instead of the Microsoft ripoff. Both sony and ms copied nintendo when it comes to the motion controller for current consoles. It seems to me like you don't really know much about games and yet are trying to write a paper about games. Not a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Kinect etc. are like the Nintendo Wii. They are primarily social gaming devices.

Great fun with friends and family, but you won't play it solo for more than an hour at once.

The nature of movement control is that it is somewhat exhausting. Us core-gamers, which most of us here are, like to spend multiple hours on end playing a game. There is no way we could do so with movement control.

And MMO like WoW simply wouldn't work with movement control, just like most other "serious" games. This is ignoring the fact that movement devices are also not very accurate.

Serious games and movement control simply cancel each other out. It doesn't mean a mouse + keyboard will never be replaced, it just means that the replacement device needs to offer benefits that enhance the gaming experience with more intuitive/accurate control mechanism or some expanded form of feedback for enhanced immersion.
    I really don't know what you are talking about since plenty of people play their Wii for more then an hour at once. Its really not Nintendo's fault if you are so out of shape that you can't move your wrist for very long. Most people would think calling yourself a hardcore gamer that you would have plenty of practice doing that.

I also have no idea what a "serious" game is. Nintendo put their usual lineup of game series on the Wii, Legend of Zelda and Super Mario among others. I would say those are pretty "serious" considering they are two of the most popular and successful franchises ever made. Hell, many people think Twilight Princess is the best zelda game of all time. Can't really get more "serious" then that, having possibly the best game in a franchise that spans over 20 years being on the current console.

I'll pick controller, but as an owner of a wii I feel that the things that has compelled me the most is the games that runs with a classic controler but then at some points in the game it's required that you'll use the motion controller. Like for instance Zelda:TP, aiming with the Bow and Clawshot was great fun.
    Happy troll since 2005

It depends on the game really. Full virtual reality RPGs on those two way walking treadmills with motion sensors that were shown on some documentary looked awesome. Zelda works really well with the wii controls, as someone said. Strategy games like AoE work much better with a keyboard and mouse.

In future motion controls and stuff will be perfected, but will probably never be the only way of control.

Controllers for me. But movement games are awesome to play with friends (wii<3)

I think the only time I'll ever enjoy movement is if they do some stuff like what they did in StarOcean for the PS2 - some big hologram room where its like you're actually fighting.

Since that'll probably never happen in my lifetime...

Gamepad all the way. ;P
    "Make impossible possible, even when winning's illogical losing's still far from optional." - T.I.