Rend, a part of prot?

So, im seeing rend in a lot of talents, and i was wondering if it was going to be incorporated into tanking. After looking at the new talent "blood and thunder" i was thinking that could be a pretty sick talent for AoE tanking. But, my question is would you have to switch into battle stance or are they allowing rend to be used in defensive stance now as well?

rend is ussable in prot anyway

oh, damn was it? I guess it was berserker stance that you can't use it in

Deleted
    Well, i for one aint going to specc into B&T, i dont find it worth the extra 2 points instead of the crit for SS.
    Rend is already useful for prot, 100% uptime along with DW = blood reserve procs instantly ^^
    Problem is rend doesnt give enough agro to help out very much for aoe tanking (B&T) so, as i said I wont spend any talents on that ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Onic View Post
    oh, damn was it? I guess it was berserker stance that you can't use it in
    Correct. Rend has always (or if not always, has been for a very long time) usable in defensive stance. It's unusable in Berserker stance. Which marks Fury the only spec who stance dances in PvE to maximize DPS (in a near-perfect environment, using Rend IS a DPS increase). Not sure if the same will be true once the servers come back up though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    It could be viable for prot but I can't see myself speccing for it, unless warrior AoE has suddenly taken a huge nose dive into oblivion. More likely there will be more valuable talents around for prot and leave B&T for DPS.

hm, I think i will try B&T who knows, might be pretty good

A lot of people seem to be missing what is the likely intent of Blood and Thunder being in the Prot tree. Yes Arms warriors will most likely pick it up to prevent the need for Rend refreshing (and the AOE spread of course), but it also gives Prot a replacement for Deep Wounds (since getting it now requires some poor talent choices compared to alternatives). At 85 in the pre-made 85 blue gear Rend was ticking for 550+ without any Vengeance on lv84-85 mobs, that is a fairly decent tick considering it takes all of 1 GCD to apply (and it does do initial damage on application unless there was a strange bug; same as a tick from what I could tell) and then is refreshed by using T.Clap (which works perfectly with Thunderstruck for buffing Shockwave).

All in all the talent is actually very nice, probably not a "take it or you can't do AOE threat" type thing, but I found it incredibly useful for leveling (chain rends from 1 mob to the next while killing) and even for the dungeons as it does give a bit of a consistent tick in place of Deep Wounds. I will be working it into my builds unless specifically single-target boss oriented.
    Last edited by goomba; 2010-10-12 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by goomba
    *Hopefully is a trademark of goomba, it implies nothing, it promises nothing, but it is a glimmer of hope that the designers aren't completely moronic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since rend's dmg output has been increased I'll give it a try for AE tanking.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goomba View Post
    All in all the talent is actually very nice, probably not a "take it or you can't do AOE threat" type thing, but I found it incredibly useful for leveling (chain rends from 1 mob to the next while killing) and even for the dungeons as it does give a bit of a consistent tick in place of Deep Wounds. I will be working it into my builds unless specifically single-target boss oriented.
    Trust me, I didn't miss the fact that it's now in the prot tree and that it works so conveniently with thunderclap. I am actually concerned that I might have to take it, while I really don't want to. The problem is that I have a lot of warrior buttons on my bar already and in Cata, we might be looking at adding two more, which I find extremely silly. I hate cluttering of abilities and the warrior already has quite a few to push.

The only good news about this is that you can perhaps macro it to your charge for pulls, but with the addition of CC in the game, it's likely that pulling is going to need to be more subtle and my charge will get less game time than I'd like. We'll just see how it turns out.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far all I've added was rend and victory rush. Since we lost bloodrage and mocking blow it evens out.

Rend is so far a great help on AE, as far as I can tell the B&T reapplication makes it tic at that point (have to double check though) and its something you could almost use on boss fights, if you decide to TC on cooldown to buff shockwave for single target.

Ill be giving B&T and rend a place in my tanking role when i get to 85 and can get deep wounds. Having all those ticks going on will be great on trash and bosses. But for now, I just dont like it. I dont like it for various reasons all of which amount to I dont see it do much just yet. Mobs either die to fast for it to matter or I never get it on the mobs because Im more worried about GCD use (and yet both of those excuses go hand in hand). I will take it at 85 though, because it seems like it will be easier to get on the mobs and double bleed ticks are teh sex leg.

Currently Blood and Thunder seems pointless. As said, mobs in WotLK die too quickly and it feels like a wasted talent when you barely get more than a tick or two off. I'll revisit it at 85, but until then I won't be touching it again. It's a neat idea, however, and it adds some sort of flavor to warrior AE tanking.

Looking at the prot tree, you have a lot of flexability. B&T is one of the talents, which is good for AoE, but if you're focusing on boss tanking you can drop for something else. I'm dropping it, I bring paladins to deal with trash.