Deleted

Facts about Cata Arms

I just want to share some facts i learned about Cataclysm and Arms and hope to new inspiration for better theorycrafting. ( sorry for the layout, it is not good :/ )

First of all some randoms facts:

Any white hits beside miss will generate the full rage (parry/dodge/block/glance).
    White hits have the same miss chance as style hits : 8%.
    Mastery Opportunity Strikes are considered as yellow hits and do not suffer glancing.
    Inner Rage also increases white hits which could be very interesting in regards of opportunity strikes.
    Opportunity strikes generate no additional threat.

I tried to compare Haste vs Mastery on the beta. As some people confirmed on EJ, the rage coefficient that will be multiplied with weapon speed is 6.
    Example: 3.6*6 = 21.6 ~ 22Rage
    So i increased the Weapon speed by either 1% mastery rating or the equivalent haste rating.

3,6speed~22rage/hit
    16,66667 hits/min
    366,6666 rage/min
    add 1% mastery ( 179,28 mastery rating )
    0.2777*60+0,27777*0.02*60=
    17hits/min
    but we stay at 366,666rage/min

same thing with 179,28 haste rating:

3,6speed~22rage/hit
    16,66667 hits/min
    366,6666 rage/min
    add 179,28 haste rating
    3,6/(1+(179,28/12805)=
    3,55029 weapon speed
    16,9 hits/min
    but 371,80rage/min

In terms of damage i cant add to much since it is way to early to say something about the DPS output of either haste or mastery. But imo haste could be way more relevant than people think.Same example with 25%mastery rating:
    0,277777*60+0,277777*0,5*60= 25Hits/min but still the same rage/min

4482haste rating:
    3,6/(1*(4482/12805))=2,6666Weapon speed
    22,5 Hits/min but we got 495rage/min

The only thing we can say about the damage, mastery gives us more Hits/min and opportunity Strikes do not suffer glancings, so we have a higher damage output but the rage could make the change in cataclysm since HS is a very solid DPS style when it comes to Damage/second. HS is very expensive on rage though so sheets or better maths whill show if going for haste to maximize HS is effective or not.

Another thing i tried to calculate are some possible rotations and their rage costs. I came up with 3 different builds but ill present the most logical in my eyes. First thing to notice that Rend works different. It ticks 6 times and the first tick is instant. TFB looks like :

TfB at 15 , 6 and 0.
    15 12 9 6 3 0

MS Rend CS MS OP Fil MS OP Fil MS Fil OP
    0 1,5 3 4,5 6 7 9 10,5 11,5 13,5 15 16,5

In this rotation i didnt consider any dodge OPs and Fillers (=Fil) are either Slam or CS. We lose 1 second of doing nothing and the first OP is delayed in 4,5 seconds - which is only important if you are not expertise capped, which i would recommend but it would make that build way harder to create. So i created a chart with the costs of all abilites and the rage you would gain due to abilities and/or Raid environment.

Rend 10R/15sec
    MS 25R/4,5sec
    CS 20R/20sec
    OP 15R/15sec
    Slam 20R
    HS 30R/3sec (off GCD)

In my rotation i used 4MS, 1Rend, 1CS, 3OP, 3Fillers. I considered Fillers to be at 7,5Rage which is very cheap. Fillers could be also dodge OPs, Shouts, etc. In case Fillers might be way more rage intense then i used in this calculations but it does not matter that much now.

16,5sec rotation
    rotation cost without HS : 172,5Rage
    HS in 16,5 sec : 165Rage

So we end up at 337,5Rage to use all potential of Arms. Now i tried to make a chart as exact as possible how much rage we might generate. Consider 3,6 weapon speed and around 2,5 Speed in good Tier12~ gear. Rage generation is only influenced by Haste and nothing else.

3,6 Speed = 6,11 R/s

this means for 16,5 secs:

100,815 rage + 25,2 rage ( Anger management +25% additional rage)
    BF ~9,185 rage
    Trance 9,75 rage
    AM2 5,5 rage ( generate 1R/3sec )
    =
    150,445 rage

Not even enough rage to cover the basic rotation.

consider 2,5 weapon speed = 8,8 R/sec

145,2+36,31 rage
    BF 13,2 rage
    Trance 9,75 rage
    AM2 5,5 rage
    =

Hardly any rage to use HS. Maybe due to my cheap Filler no rage to HS at all. You could add Shouts, or even Booming Voice Shouts, but they would use a GCD and DPS would suffer. Unbuffed shouts give 9,185 rage and buffed shouts 13,2 rage in this case. Not a huge difference.

So i need some thought on those calculations. IMO haste might be a serious deal do get any HS off. If ppl might ask why i use MS first, there are no DPS charts yet but I'm pretty sure MS will be on higher priority than Rend, maybe CS might be at the top. CS add a flat damage increase of 60~% do my attacks which is huge. And MS procs enrage and lambs to the slaughter and benefits from trance, cruelty and impale (and Juggernaut).

Good findings. I think rend might be better to begin with if no other reason than it opens up all your procs and is a lot cheaper rage wise (and at the beginning of the fight you could use the rage).

From what I've been playing in my crappy little 251/264 gear as arms is that you don't add slam into the rotation. HS does ALOT more dmg, especially with incite. But just adding HS and ignoring slam altogether I tend to do more dps. And like you said the rage generation is off right now so currently you don't have enough to run both slam and HS in the main rotation. So far I haven't found it to be too much of a loss. Generally the only time that I find myself with the rage and an extra cooldown to spare is during Deadly Calm.

I am sorry that I don't have any numbers to throw your way, I'm not that hardcore. =/

Deleted
    I did some testing today on live in either gemming, gear and reforging.

Plate gear with mass strength but less crit won vs agi gear.

Reforging haste into mastery gave me a small dps loss. That is kind surprising since all people expect mastery to be higher than haste. But that is the same point i calculated on my 85 Beta Warrior.

Gemming strength won vs agi.

I'm still not sure where to put expertise. Dodge OPs are huge, because they cost almost no rage, usually you got enough space to fill your rotation with them and you stack DW pretty high. On the other hand MS is my new highest style and I focus on a new ltts rotation which works pretty good for me. Therefore expertise is usefull to keep trance and ltts up.

In terms of using either HS or slam, I'd highly recommend slam by now because it scales way better. The damage increase modifiers for slam base damage and slam crit damage are multiplicative ( incite, imp slam, 2 hand spec, meta, enrage). HS with 3/3 incite will be very interesting in low tiers of crit on 85, right now I'm pretty sure even without testing that slam will outdps HS, even with a 0.5 sec swing delay, but lower rage cost.

@Monroe
    MS and as i said maybe even CS will have the highest priority by far a gap. By charging the boss and doing autohit you have ( depending on spec ) enough rage to CS / MS before Rend. By then you would make the second hit. Delaying MS is a huge dps suffer by any means.
    Last edited by mmoc697f52d82e; 2010-10-13 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted
    Hmm, hamstring procs Opportunity Strikes.

Is it just me or despite blue post saying that Opportunity Strikes damage has been increased, it's still at 75%? I've heard people say that tooltip and actual value are 2 different things after patch (my tooltip says it's at 75%) but I did some dummy mashing to be sure and white swings deal more damage than OS with the difference averaging to 25% aka pre-hotfix value.

credits: Supernerd

Deleted
    On beta it is 115%.
    Last time i checked live ( EU ) tooltip said 75%, didnt test the real value tho.