Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

4.0.1 Download times.

So, how long did it take you to do this patch? I've been on about 5 hours and only on 38%. Not fun, aparently Windows Friewall is effecting it, but I can't work computers to save my life. So, your times on it?
    Anyone else notice the Pokémon breeding center is on Route 34? Just sayin'.

"I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!" - Hakumen.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Patch was pretty fast to DL. The update itself is actually taking more time for the time being.

Deleted
    Update is taking forever

6hrs. I even went to my school's library where the connection is supposed to be better, took my friend back home 30mins...

Derailed the Cereal Thread

I just downloaded mine from usenet @ 6mb/s

5.18G
    6mb/s = ~14 mins 38 seconds

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    I just downloaded mine from usenet @ 6mb/s

5.18G
    6mb/s = ~14 mins 38 seconds
    usenet? what's that? Anyway, downloading via blizz downloader, and it's slow. it's insanely slow, like 80-100 kb/s. Is there some haxxor way to kill the upload speed, or can someone tell me what this usenet is?

Deleted
    Hah, I've been background downloading the whole patch over the last few weeks

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    usenet? what's that? Anyway, downloading via blizz downloader, and it's slow. it's insanely slow, like 80-100 kb/s. Is there some haxxor way to kill the upload speed, or can someone tell me what this usenet is?
    Second that, can u provide a link? i've just started downloading today and it's currently at 62%... what i'm downloading weights 5.29Gb... am i downloading the whole Patch or just a part? is it worth for me to stop downloading via blizz downloader and start on that Usenet thingie?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhomaioi View Post
    Hah, I've been background downloading the whole patch over the last few weeks
    This. Unsure why everyone else didn't. Also, if you want to kill the upload, go to the second tab, click preferences and untick "Peer to Peer" thing, and it'll have you only connected to the blizzard server. Still gonna take a while though, so if you're download is still higher than 400kb/s, I'd suggest you stick with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    This. Unsure why everyone else didn't. Also, if you want to kill the upload, go to the second tab, click preferences and untick "Peer to Peer" thing, and it'll have you only connected to the blizzard server. Still gonna take a while though, so if you're download is still higher than 400kb/s, I'd suggest you stick with it.
    still 100~ kb/s zZzZz... but at least i can still do stuff. The upload totally killed my bandwidth before.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    usenet? what's that?
    Its what the internet was originally, before webpages (www), if you watch the first mission impossible, you see him using it.

You download data through binary addresses, which you need a program to do, and as I use Usenet a lot I have a subscription to a Usenet provider (newshosting), which opens up all the binary addresses and always downloads at your maximum allowed speed.

If I didn't have that subscription I would have to use my isp log in details (all isp's should have them) but it usually is not a good idea because lots of isp block common binary addresses, and limit speed.

background downloader. I started wow once a week ago, with my account not even active. Went to eat dinner, had the patch when i got back.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    usenet costs money

Quote Originally Posted by Artsche View Post
    usenet costs money
    It doesn't if you use your isp log in details (I did for along time).
    It just is no wear near as good when you do pay for it tho.

updating atm, 15 mins and its at 70% but the downloader took me 5 mins

Blizzard Downloader --> View --> Preferences
    Disable Peer-to-Peer transfer and check "Don't throttle background download" for a lot quicker download.

Works for me fo shoo.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Artsche View Post
    usenet costs money
    ur internet is free?

Its funny. Every time a patch of a certain size hits, people complain about the time it takes to download it. The Background Downloader isnt exactly a new thing, and its actually working like it should.

Use it next time.

It took me under 5 mins to get the last stage (Had the 5gig patch downloaded already), so its installing as we speak.

If you want faster speed, yes, usenet is a good place. Or one of the patch mirrors. Or you can get the .torrent file in the folder and load that into a .torrent program and download it faster too.

But seriously....Blizzard Background Downloader is your friend

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbruz View Post
    Its funny. Every time a patch of a certain size hits, people complain about the time it takes to download it. The Background Downloader isnt exactly a new thing, and its actually working like it should.

Use it next time.

It took me under 5 mins to get the last stage (Had the 5gig patch downloaded already), so its installing as we speak.

If you want faster speed, yes, usenet is a good place. Or one of the patch mirrors. Or you can get the .torrent file in the folder and load that into a .torrent program and download it faster too.

But seriously....Blizzard Background Downloader is your friend
    This, took little to no time to download the last part of the patch, just took awhile to install.

Deleted
    Yes, I would have had the patch a long time ago if it wasn't for me quitting the game some months ago :>. But started casually again 2 days ago, since the coming patch seems like a lot of fun.