10+ Year Old Account
    Robot arms apartment building, New New York

prot pally threat (lack thereof)

Idk if i'm doing something wrong or anything, but my threat since 4.0.1 hit is pathetically low. I've never had any problems with threat before, but now I'm literally the bottom of the threat meter, desperately chain taunting.

Is there any rotations I should be following or anything else I can do to get a bit more threat? cos its pretty ridiculous atm.

thanks

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell people to only attack your target, and wait a few seconds so you can stack vengeance up. That's what I can think of atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well last night I was doing awesome. Even AOE Tanking. I will recommend to read the sticky Prot 4.0.1 at the top.

I was doing pretty bad on PTR, but I was able to figure it out. For starters, make sure you use CS or HoR (depending on single target/AOE) every other GCD. This gives you lots of Holy Power to smack things around with thine righteous shield, in addition to maximizing your Grand Crusader (shield throw CD finisher) procs. If you use shield throw and Judge whenever you can when you're not hitting CS/HoR, you should do fine.

When I was on the PTR I was being lazy about Holy Power generation so my threat was craptastic, but this seemed to work out very well for me. A lot of our threat seems to be proc-based now (Sacred Duty and Grand Crusader). Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dpm5075 View Post
    I was doing pretty bad on PTR, but I was able to figure it out. For starters, make sure you use CS or HoR (depending on single target/AOE) every other GCD. This gives you lots of Holy Power to smack things around with thine righteous shield, in addition to maximizing your Grand Crusader (shield throw CD finisher) procs. If you use shield throw and Judge whenever you can when you're not hitting CS/HoR, you should do fine.

When I was on the PTR I was being lazy about Holy Power generation so my threat was craptastic, but this seemed to work out very well for me. A lot of our threat seems to be proc-based now (Sacred Duty and Grand Crusader). Good luck!
    Actually last night I was just spamming SoR with 1HP or 2HP tops (if collected 1HP before AS proc, and Judgement CD). And was doing great. Even single target HoR. And very occasionally WoG.

Quote Originally Posted by boricuaxo View Post
    Actually last night I was just spamming SoR with 1HP or 2HP tops (if collected 1HP before AS proc, and Judgement CD). And was doing great. Even single target HoR. And very occasionally WoG.
    Interesting strategy, I'll have to try it sometime. Was your rotation just CS/Shield/CS/Shield (repeat)? Or did you stop to judge to try and get a little more out of your shields?

Outside of the initial 15s of a fight where you're building up Holy Power and Vengeance, you shouldn't be struggling on single target pulls. Other than no longer having obscene leads over people, not a whole lot has changed. AoE is annoying if you aren't the first to hit a mob though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dpm5075 View Post
    Interesting strategy, I'll have to try it sometime. Was your rotation just CS/Shield/CS/Shield (repeat)? Or did you stop to judge to try and get a little more out of your shields?
    Actually here is what I was doing:
    Opening: AS, Judgement, Cons, HW, HoR, SoR
    Now once I finish with SoR: AS(if Proc) HoR, SoR
    Then Just: HoR, SoR trowing any CD that is up AS,Judgement, HW, Cons.

Single targets just switch from time 2 time HoR for CS. Even if some one hit a mob on AOE pull, a taunt and a rotation on it and problem solve. I never saw 3 HP up. Top was 2HP and was not so rearly maybe 2 out of 6 rotations where with 2 HP. YES AS spam, whenever GC proc Ill hit that AS button asap!

Quote Originally Posted by boricuaxo View Post
    I never saw 3 HP up. Top was 2HP and was not so rearly maybe 2 out of 6 rotations where with 2 HP.
    Although it may be working for you right now, this is certainly not going to provide optimal threat.

here is what you should be doing:
    Tanks do NOT have a first come first serve priority or even a priority we still have a STATIC rotation. this is called 939 or X3
    it looks like this

CS-Judge-CS-HW-CS-SHoR-CS-Judge-CS-AS-CS-SHoR

cs-crusader strike
    HW-holy wrath
    SHoR-Shield of Righteousness
    AS-Avenger's shield

Maintankadin proved this is the number 1 dps rotation, and since Righteous Fury turns all damage into Threat this is the number 1 TPS rotation. Ignore Grand Crusader procs, in fact you don't even need the talents for single target.

For multi target sub Hammer of Righteousness for CS and use your shield as you need for new adds, other than that it's the exact same.

Consecration is worthless single and multitarget. You do this, no problem with threat. Gaps in your rotation=threat loss so using the Grand Crusader procs is a threat loss ALL the time on single target, and most of the time on multitarget(exception is new adds)

also reckoning is awesome, hallowed ground is terrible for threat. Wrath of the lightbringer is our biggest TPS talent
    Last edited by Thirtyrock; 2010-10-13 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Robot arms apartment building, New New York
    thanks a lot, il give thirtyrock's rotation a try and fiddle about with my spec
    cheers