Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb Strange tanks are strange

Hi there. This is my first thread so far. I agree that I'm not as good as you guys at speaking english.

Everytime I join a dungeon with my healing or dps chars. If I pull before them because a) they're seriously slow (kewboard turn, backpeddling, ten seconds of watching on corpses after each pack etc.) or b) they're talking to eachother. So I begin dps'ing on my healing char or dps char, doesn't really matter. It ain't heroic mode. And it's the same thing even if I log on my 40'ish chars or level 70 chars.. Even 80 chars. Non-heroix.

The tanks are getting so fuck'd up about another one pulling. They go "i'm not tanking anything when you're pulling"-mode. That pisses me off. Totally. When I ask them to hurry up & that I don't wish to be rude, they enter rage-mode. I'd agree that it might be harder to get aggro off the dps or healers if the tank ain't pulling, but jeez. Stop complaining? Shut up and tank. Seriously..

When I'm tanking on my tank chars I move from pack to pack without stopping unless the healer needs a mana break, but often he'll just use his cooldowns to get mana & at the end of the instance everytime tells me I'm the best tank they've ever meet due to the speed. Also if anyone else is attacking mobs while I'm tanking, I let them do it & try to take aggro. Otherwise I could just let them get aggro and continue to other groups of mobs, but that wouldn't be necessary.

So, dear mmo-champions. Answer my question: Why does tanks go beserk if another from the group is pulling? I really don't get it.

I've tried to ask several tanks, but none seems to know the answer. And by the way, if anyone should complain it should be the healer for loosing mana because he have to heal the whole group. The tank couldn't care less.

Best regards: Patana. Thank you in advance.

I came into this topic hoping to see some kind of deformed siege engine.

I leave disappointed.

Anyways, if you can't burn entire heroic packs down before they kill you, or a healer can't keep you up with a boss wailing on you, you've done something wrong.

Deleted
    Assume you pull a pack, that pack will come running for you. Most tanks, and especially bears and warriors, would like to have that initial threat on themselves. They don't always wanna waste their one AoE spell (because they don't have that many to use as often these days) on getting attention.

Quite simply - you're a dps and/or healer. It's not your job to tank or pull. If they're slow, then try and vote kick, or just leave, but don't expect everyone to play at your frantic pace.

As a healer, I get annoyed by dumb ass DPSers who refuse to mind their own TPS or wait a few seconds for the tank to pull and I sometimes let them die because of it. To teach them a lesson.

Quite simply - you're a dps and/or healer. It's not your job to tank or pull. If they're slow, then try and vote kick, or just leave, but don't expect everyone to play at your frantic pace.
    Agreed: it's just - with respect - none of business. You simply can tell them in the party chat to hurry up.

Assume you pull a pack, that pack will come running for you. Most tanks, and especially bears and warriors, would like to have that initial threat on themselves. They don't always wanna waste their one AoE spell (because they don't have that many to use as often these days) on getting attention.
    This applies for Palies and DKs as well.

Deleted
    When I'm playing as a tank I usually pull fairly fast unless healer is on less then 30% mana however there are times when you are not 100% focused on the game and you might pull a bit more slowly then I utterly hate and usually leave the group since I cant be bothered playing with ppl that lack manners.
    If you want to be the person that dictates the pace of a group then play the tank. It's their job.

The only situation where it is appropriate to be the first person at the pack you are pulling is if you are a rouge and you need to sap some mob, even then it's the tank that pulls after you have sapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Homsel View Post
    Agreed: it's just - with respect - none of business. You simply can tell them in the party chat to hurry up.

However, with heroics like they are now, DPS can actually burst shit down before it reachs dps/healers, tanks need to stop being fussy. (i have 2 tanks btw)

You contradict yourself, I'll let you figure out how.

Because often the dps who try to help by pulling packs themselves just make it 10x worse. Just like there's a lot of tanks bad at pulling there's a whole lot of dps who suck even more.
    The thing is when there's loose mobs and you're trying to pick those up again your threat on the others is gonna be a lot worse and you're gonna lose threat on those etc etc. This causes a chain reaction of losing aggro and trying to pick it back up again. I don't really mind if you tricks/md the new mobs to me so I got some initial threat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Homsel View Post
    Yeah, of course. I was just pointing towards the fact that Bears and Warriors gets most of their rage from getting hit and if they aren't, it can be quite an uphill climb to get control of a pack.

Pallies and DKs can drop Consecration and Death and Decay and have a reasonable amount of control from the start, but Bears and Warriors need rage for the first Stomp/Swipe. If, for some reason, we don't have a spell that gives us instant rage, we want those first hits on us to be able to even start stomping/swiping.

Deleted
    I agree, this is why I often choose to level in protection specs, .. Im tired of waiting 10-15 secsbetween every pull, so I understand you, altho in raiding situations this isnt advized.

I play a warrior and I must say, I don't give a flying shit about aggro. I have good enough gear that I could tank most of the heroics in my DPS gear, and many a time, I do. Now, all of this WILL change once Cataclysm hits, but until then, heroics are easy as pie.

Edit: I tend to let the tank pull, but not stealing aggro is a whole different story right now...
    Last edited by jonfauscett; 2010-10-24 at 12:45 PM.
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.

If there's one thing a dps should learn is to respect the other roles. Dps, as valuable as it may be, is the least important role in a raid/dungeon group when it comes to decision making and positioning. Still, for some reason, they keep either mindlessly throwing their spells not giving a crap about their threat levels (wich, incidentally, is a -very- important part of being a damage dealer), whining about slow tanks or not getting healed when they screw up, and making this kind of nonsense threads instead of learning their role proper.

Yeah, sure, the contente these days is pretty much a faceroll and there should be no reason not to make larger pulls, but it could have crossed your mind that not every tank is packing ilvl277 gear and specially since the patch deployed, not every tank class is able to generate threat in a blink of an eye, or even that the tank might not be feeling conforable enough about the healer's skills and so decides to take it slowly and not pull massively.

So, on my side, i just love to get the "Gogogogogo" dude on my parties, specially dps'ers. There's just a delightful taste in sitting my ass down and watch them strugle with a ton of mobs, 'till they eventually die and i can get the mobs i should have gotten in the first place.

Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Yeah, of course. I was just pointing towards the fact that Bears and Warriors gets most of their rage from getting hit and if they aren't, it can be quite an uphill climb to get control of a pack.
    Incorrect. Rage Normalisation means they get 100% of their rage from white hits, additionally warriors have an additional ability where they generate 50% more rage on targets not targeting them, and I assume bears have similar

10+ Year Old Account
    i couldnt care less how long the instances takes tbh, 5min 10min maybe even 30 mins for all i care, once i've finished that instance i'm only gunna be seeing the same old dalaran when i leave, let the tank pull in his/her own time.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're pulling for the tank, that means the tank is unable to do their opening move which usually gives them their snap agro. They'll be more occupied with taunting everything.

I've never had a DPSer pull for me - mainly because I pull really fast - but if they did, they'd be dead, and I'd continue to chain-pull keeping the group in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    However, with heroics like they are now, DPS can actually burst shit down before it reachs dps/healers, tanks need to stop being fussy. (i have 2 tanks btw)
    You are there to deal damage. If you are pulling because you think the tank is too slow or the tank/healer will save you, then you are not doing your job. You don't see us tanks ignoring threat in favor of topping DPS charts, do you?

Depending on the tank's gear, they may well need a few seconds for threat, especially now that our AE has been nerfed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordea View Post
    Incorrect. Rage Normalisation means they get 100% of their rage from white hits, additionally warriors have an additional ability where they generate 50% more rage on targets not targeting them, and I assume bears have similar
    Ah, alright, my bad then.

Quote Originally Posted by Patana View Post
    & at the end of the instance everytime tells me I'm the best tank they've ever meet due to the speed.
    Then you're obviously not one of the tanks I've healed. I hate hasty people who insist on chain-pulling at the speed of light. WoW isn't a racegame and I'm taking my time to loot stuff, maybe even answer a whisper or two in between, regardless of whether I'm tanking or healing.

When I first started tanking, in TBC, I used to go heroic Magister's Terrace a lot. I was in Zul'Aman gear ish, rep shield from Shattered Sun or whatever the name was, crap like that. I wasn't the best tank. With me, I had a crazed dps warrior in T6/Sunwell gear and an even more crazy moonkin in T6. The warrior was my boyfriend so he kind of was trying to be a little nice to me, but wanted to outdps the moonkin of course, so couldn't chill that much. The moonkin was the best guild on the server's main tank's alt, and he was playing as if it'd been him tanking.

What I want to say with this is that I nerdraged a lot when they were being crazy ass annoying pullers and overaggroing shit and everything. But at the same time they were pushing my limits and in the end it went really well and I became a better tank. You kind of need retards doing retarded shit so you know how to deal with it. While it's annoying then, you'll appreciate it in the end. Noone can ever be that annoying to me now because I'm used to tanking like that.

Just too bad that they'll just use vote kick and not learn a thing in the end. :P

Golden dungeon rule:

You pull it, you tank it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applepie
    your retarded.