prot warrior Thread problems

As a warriro in patch 4.0.1 i really feel that AOE thread is horroble. Also sometimes on single target bosses. i have before could hold thread for constantly 13K dps now when a mage come with 7K dps hes just pull thread away like he is a lvl 200 tank with endgame tier 50 gear. i can taunt but he pulls him away again.

I am a bit a curious about what you other warriors are doing also what stats you have chosen with reforging and stuff like that, i appriciate to hear from some prot warriors.

/Cheers

And happy raiding folks :-D

Tell the mage to watch his threat meter or let u get aggro :P But, from what i've read it sounds like mages are out of balance right now.

Haven't tanked 4.0 yet.. installing the patch i downloaded but have you tried rend+clap (with the blood and thunder talent) on AOE packs? most warriors will probably jump into that talent if our aoe threat is a lot worse

The problem is that our AoE threat damage is basically gone. Tclap is doing at most 500 per mob on a 6 sec CD, Rend ticks every 3 sec (right?) for maybe 200-250 damage, and I don't know if the threat modifiers are currently working in 4.0.1 (I've seen a few testing posts saying that the threat mods from defensive stance aren't working with alot of our abilities).

All of your concerns are discussed within 4 or 5 threads located right there on page one of this forum and you might have possibly found your answers there and shared your thoughts in each one. Anyways, im too lazy to re-write what I wrote from the other threads so Ill just copy and paste one part here for ya.

For AOE tanking, I dont have issues. This is what i currently do when having the DPS AOE. Besides asking them to wait 3-4 seconds before they start, I also mark one with a skull and tell them to kill that single target first, if they would like. How I handle the packs:
    I charge and TC, then grenade and shockwave. CS and zerker rage and hit tab/cleave. Revenge is up by now so I hit that after tabbing again. I start spamming devas and free shield slams. I hit tab to mobs that are higher in HP than others. I use CB on a mob almost dead and leave it alone. I hit taunt on a mob almost dead and leave it alone. I use TC and SW when off of CD. I keep CS and zerker rage on CD. I tab and use cleave/revenge. I fill in gaps with devas and free shield slams. I am not specced into B&T. I do not use rend.

As far as reforging, I reforged dodge on every single piece of gear into mastery. I have about 43% block now and still sit above 20% dodge. Parry is the new hot shit along with mastery since they really go hand in hand. Shield spec is a must now for rage gain and it also works really well with mastery.

Hope that helped at least a little.

Deleted
    I just finished my tanking tests on 4.0.1 and didn't run into any issues with my threat. If anything, my threat has gone up from since I last tanked on my warrior. It's a wee bit strange at first, after you're so used to spamming Cleaves for aoe and HS for single target but you the hang of it. I have a fairly simple spec, but no B&T so didn't even use Rend. Basically, it comes to joggling four abilities; Cleave/HS, Revenge, SS, and Devastate, depending which has prio and which one is coming off CD.

I actually found it difficult to get off any devastates because I always had one of the three other abilities to use. So felt a bit like neglecting it but it all turned out fine and didn't worry about threat at all. Rotations haven't really change if you think about it, warrior tanking works exactly as it has before.

With reforging, I did exactly the same as Justin. My gear is a bit lower than my main, so dropped to around 19.30% on both parry and dodge, but got my block to 40% and critical block to 20%. Even had a chance to fix my expertise and hit ratings. I can confirm though that mages are pretty insane. We did a VoA25 for a laugh with our guild and I actually lost aggro there once to the mage. I was hitting some quite record breaking TPS but the mage was just insane; don't think his TPS dropped anywhere below 20k TPS at any point.

Que for Random Heroic - up pops HoL (what a surprise!)

Had no real problems, and 30 second HT is amazing for streaming waves. HT a caster, taunt another (6 second fixation), shield slam the third, TC, SW, Cleave and Revenge as available, reapply TC and SW on cooldown, tab between targets and split your SS and Dev amongst them, all candy.

In fact, I was delighted, because I came out of that run feeling like I just did some work, like tab sundering an old 45min baron run!

I see no problem with our AoE threat at this stage. Sure DPS may need to learn to wait a few seconds on the packs leading up to BQL, but how on earth can it be a bad thing when people need to actually think about things as trivial as trash pulls?

Edit: On single target bosses it was crazy, I had a rogue in similar gear to me never getting above 30% of my threat, which isn't what it looked like pre-4.0.1 (and we didn't use TotT by the way as I wanted the run to be a genuine threat test).

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

funny that ages are getting buffed when they're so op even tanks complain about threat...