10k and up DPS, how? Rotation?

Hey, just picked up shadow spec now that dual spec is only 100g. Anyway, in mostly healing gear, as disc is my main spec, I'm pulling around 6k DPS. So how is everyone pulling around 10k and up? Please help, I'd love to raid as shadow.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spwn View Post
    Anyway, in mostly healing gear...
    Looks like an answer to me. You know.... DPS spec have a bit different stats on it so this might be the main factor.
    Now here we stand with their blood on our hands
    We fought so hard now can we understand

You need a lot of haste, a lot of crit, and a lot if Int, as well as some good trinkets.

I'm quite sure that if you're healing specc'd you're lacking in a few of those areas.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, like hit rating...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Deleted
    not to speak of being hit capped is quite important

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Yeah, like hit rating...
    The Shadow tree has a talent that convert Spirit to Hit.

With spirit giving hit rating at a 1:1, you'll do pretty well in healing gear. However, you'll want to get your 4-piece tier 10 dps set bonus as soon as possible. The reduced channeling time on mind flay is...absurd in the best of ways. And yes, stack as much haste as you can possibly get (until you reach about 1000). Reforge for it if you must. For the time being, mastery rating appears less than helpful for shadow priests.

Presently I'd recommend not using mind blast unless you have 3 shadow orbs built up or you absolutely need replenishment running. We'll see if it becomes more desirable as time goes on.

Yeah, thanks for the quick replies! I'm pretty sure I'm good with int. Due to spirit on my healing gear, im waaay over hit cap. Like 28%... So yeah, big issue. Also I agree with the crit, but think I'm okay with haste? How much haste should I want?

Deleted
    Shadow is one of the hardest rotations to get down, and has a significant ramp-up time. Have not tried since the patch, but on live I VT, MB, MF, then cast DP and SWP and then MB again. I never let VT or DP fall off and fill my spare GCD'S with a PW:S on our tank (my group lacks a disc priest) or a SW.

This means I push 11k in 10-man with an avg level of roughly 251. Any mistake and I lose a k or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragniel View Post
    Shadow is one of the hardest rotations to get down, and has a significant ramp-up time. Have not tried since the patch, but on live I VT, MB, MF, then cast DP and SWP and then MB again. I never let VT or DP fall off and fill my spare GCD'S with a PW:S on our tank (my group lacks a disc priest) or a SW.
    I think now we want SW: P up asap for shadow orbs, then DP so we can cast while moving, get a shadow apporition proc? Then cast VT, MF, hopefully have 3 orbs by now and then MB? That's what I've seen most people say.

15+ Year Old Account
    shadow has nearly 0 ramp-up time now...the only reason we had a ramp-up time was shadow weaving
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

1. reforge as much spirit into haste as you can
    2. try to get non-hit gear pieces that are going to therefore have more haste or crit
    3. make sure you got the right glyphs

the rotation that i am sorta using right now (may need tweaking) is

1. Shadowfiend ; SW: P ; VT ; DP ; SW: D
    2. Mind blast when 3 orbs, otherwise mind flay, and recast shadowfiend ASAP
    3. strafe when you cast your instants (DP ; SW: D ; SW: P if needed)
    4. refresh your VT, DP, and SW: P right BEFORE they fall off, not right after

Why are people telling him to reforge Spirit into Haste? From what I have read Crit > haste since 4.0.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Why are people telling him to reforge Spirit into Haste? From what I have read Crit > haste since 4.0.1?
    Only really if you do the SWD spam that's being nerfed.. otherwise I still prioritize haste on my gear. I have 33% crit and 25% haste with most of my T10 being 251. I pulled 14k on festergut in 10man icc last night and 18k on blood queen (second to have bite) in ICC10 last night using:

haste trinket, shadowfiend, vt, mb, dp, swp, swd, mf as opener and then following the standard priority of dots, swd, mb, mf

my opener may be different than some but really the longer the fight the less the opener matters if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by dekadron View Post
    1. reforge as much spirit into haste as you can
    2. try to get non-hit gear pieces that are going to therefore have more haste or crit
    3. make sure you got the right glyphs

the rotation that i am sorta using right now (may need tweaking) is

1. Shadowfiend ; SW: P ; VT ; DP ; SW: D
    2. Mind blast when 3 orbs, otherwise mind flay, and recast shadowfiend ASAP
    3. strafe when you cast your instants (DP ; SW: D ; SW: P if needed)
    4. refresh your VT, DP, and SW: P right BEFORE they fall off, not right after
    You should be using MB on CD. You'll do more DPS this way instead of only using MB with 3 orbs.

In our weekly icc 25 clear last night i was able to avg just under 17.9k dps on boss fights and i was using the following rotation. I'm going to try not clipping mind flay for mind blast and SWD in our 10m Heroic clear tonight to see what its like.

Rotation:

SF -> DP -> SWP -> VT - > MB (on cool down i clipped mf) -> SWD (on cool down clipping MF)-> MF

I also kept DP, SWP, and VT touch up 100% during boss fights since we refresh now instead of clip. I'm sure i could increase my DPS a little when i get shadow timers up again... as i will waste less of my GCD refreshing too early.

**EDIT**

I reforged all possible hit and spirit for haste > crit depending on the item.
    Last edited by mateo45; 2010-10-14 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spwn View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the quick replies! I'm pretty sure I'm good with int. Due to spirit on my healing gear, im waaay over hit cap. Like 28%... So yeah, big issue. Also I agree with the crit, but think I'm okay with haste? How much haste should I want?
    You want at least 800 haste at the lowest. Above 1k haste is recommended though.

I'm sitting at 1.2k haste, 3100 spell power, and about 24% crit. And I can do between 10K and 15K on various boss fights.

Deleted
    I reforged all my spirit/hit pieces into haste where I could, and mastery if haste wasnt available. I'm now sitting at 37% haste and about 25% crit and 46% extra damager per orb, pulling a good 15k ish on single target.

If the only reason crit is better is due to SWD spam, then I'm sticking with haste. I like it, but I'd rather not die. (plus what I do gives an insane execute as it is)

At the moment I SWP VT DP, Fiend SWD MB then get into a rotation with keeping dots up (trying to clip with <1 second less for max uptime), SWD then MB (MB first if 3 stacks of shadow orbs), hitting fiend every CD (which comes off at around every 30-40 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    I reforged all my spirit/hit pieces into haste where I could, and mastery if haste wasnt available.
    From what I've read, this is a bad move. Mastery is pretty poor at this level. Ideally, you want to prioritise Haste then Crit. Don't forget Intellect too. Just avoid mastery if Haste or Crit are on offer. :P