Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you [Vampiric Touch] while leveling?

Hei, got a question is it worth taking Vampiric Touch talent while leveling, it seems lowest dmg dot priest have, and I pref using shadow word: death and devouring plague (talented). Would like to ask maybe worth in later levels like wrath? It seems that mobs die fast even withouth this hot. Thanks

Its actually the highest damage DoT that you have but definitely not necessary when leveling.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've not levelled a Priest since 3.0, but I used VT -> SWP -> MB -> Flay until dead when levelling. If your damage is high enough, cut the SWP out to save some mana. Devouring Plague is expensive mana-wise, so again, unless you have the mana, or you're on a boss, just avoid it. I guess you'll be wanting to SW: Death a mob to kill it nowadays as well, due to the Glyph of Spirit Tap.

It's been some time since I leveled my priest, but in my experience just vt=> swp everything in sight and watch vamp. embrace heal you. You can more or less chain pull mobs with this method, especially once you have dispersion
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tihr View Post
    I've not levelled a Priest since 3.0, but I used VT -> SWP -> MB -> Flay until dead when levelling. If your damage is high enough, cut the SWP out to save some mana. Devouring Plague is expensive mana-wise, so again, unless you have the mana, or you're on a boss, just avoid it. I guess you'll be wanting to SW: Death a mob to kill it nowadays as well, due to the Glyph of Spirit Tap.
    This is exactly what i did when i leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by K4ge View Post
    It's been some time since I leveled my priest, but in my experience just vt=> swp everything in sight and watch vamp. embrace heal you. You can more or less chain pull mobs with this method, especially once you have dispersion
    Not to mention now, you can SWP everything then just turn and run mobs in circles while SWP and your apparation fuck all the mobs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Deleted
    No, I am not "Vampiric Touch"..and it's a dot, not a hot.

OT: Just run around and cast SWain on lots of mob -> loot -> repeat

(Sorry, if I sound like a douche)

depend on what level you talking i know that at 70+ VT+SWP will kill everything once the duration is over +you proc replanishment on yourself from using mind blast

youll need to cast vt/sw;p on all mobs from 80-85 as they have boatloads of HP - and VT has the highest dmg and lowest mana cost of your dots and refunds mana (which is an issue from 80-85)

I just finished leveling my Priest alt and I used VT as an opener so when I casted MB it would trigger Replenish.

But I still recommend the Disc tree for leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget that Vampiric Touch has a casttimer and the GCD is over once it's cast. So you can cast Vampiric Touch and immediately after that Shadow Word: Pain. This is very useful as an opener while leveling, especially against stronger mobs.

VT is a great asset to have if you do not have heirlooms. If you do on the other hand have heirlooms and thusly more SP, then I'd suggest you to use it+SWP and then go to the next mob, aaaand repeat.

VT is the only DoT worth using while leveling as Shadow. VT->MB then MF if needed to finish them off and move on. Running around VT+SWP will just suck up your mana and slow you down normally. With the recent (massive) low level buffs it makes DP and SWP pretty pointless. Nothing lives long enough to make them worth casting over MB/MF. VT is worthwhile only because Replenishment makes it cost efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    VT is a very high damage dot and is a great opener since it has a cast time. The replenishment component makes it particularly nice. Will you use it every pull? maybe not. But it is very useful for harder mobs/bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the mob for me. When I was leveling my priest, I'd use VT > SW: P > MBlast > SW: D > Mind flay, and it was usually dead.

Devouring Plague costs too much mana and VT does a decent amount of damage, so, Yes, I'd use it.

Deleted
    I just finished leveling another priest from 1-80. Used VT as soon as I got it, then MB (for replenish) 1-2 Mind Flays and once the mob got below 25% SW: D (for Spirit Tab). Kill time on single mobs is around 10 sec and you'll be at 100% mana all the time. I'd advise taking it, it's just too powerful in avoiding any possible downtime + you can combne it with SW:P to dot several mobs at the same time, if you choose to pull more than one.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe not wrath but cataclysm leveling will be alot tougher as the mobs hit alot harder + take longer to kill i personally use VT every chance i get + when i have 3 shadow orbs i use vt before mind blast for a bit of a dmg bonus

You gain the buff to DoT damage after Shadow Orbs are removed, so you should wait until after you Mind Blast if you want it to get the bonus.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

In Hyjal and Deepholm, regular mobs have Between 30 and 45k HP.
    Imo from 80-81 we should
    VT > MB -> MF -> SWD
    But once we hit 81+ we'll lose alot of our crit/haste so mobs will live longer and the further you progress, the more HP mobs have.
    We'll end up using
    VT > SWP > MB > MF > DEATH
    For elites we'll use Devouring plague of course.