Arcane mage mastery OP?

according to http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t106141-...pdated_4_01_a/

Damage Multiplier from Mana Adept = 1 + ( (8 + (mastery points from gear) ) * 0.015 * %mana )

if i reforge 46 crits (1%) to mastery 46, at 100% mana, that will be 1.81 which means 81% increased dmg? this can't be right, what i am missing?

or from the description "Increases all spell damage done by up to 12%, based on the amount of mana the Mage has unspent. Each point of Mastery increases damage done by up to an additional 1.5%."

does that mean benefit from mana adapt cap at 12%? so there will be a mastery cap?
    confused...
    Last edited by ns66; 2010-10-15 at 08:28 PM.

there is no cap.

All you need to do is plug your total mana into the equation at the time you start casting each spell. What you get out of the equation is the damage multiplier.

Mastery uses more rating per 1% than crit

Benefit definitely doesn't cap at 12%. I reforged to 15% and there is a big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reforged every piece of gear im wearing to mastery. got up to 20.81 mastery, 588 mastery rating, (+12.81%). "Increases all spell damage done by up to 31% based on the amount of mana the mage has unspent."

Mastery for arcane is huge, I agree. What I'm wondering now is should I reforge haste/crit for mastery? I already reforged all of my extra hit and any spirit that was on my gear and have seen a pretty large boost in my dps from mastery. So, what's the priority of stats for us now?

Your math is wrong, you used mastery rating for your equation, where it requires to use your mastery points.
    Multiply your mastery rating with 0.0218 and use it in your equation.
    (The equation would be: 1 + ( (8 + ( 46 * 0.0218 ) ) * 0.015 * 1 ) = 0.135 = 13.5% more damage )
    Last edited by Koltak; 2010-10-15 at 10:22 PM.

I also would like to know if I should sacrifice haste or spell crit when reforging for mastery?
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2010-10-16 at 06:29 AM. Reason: to shorten the post

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    I also would like to know if I should sacrifice haste or spell crit when reforging for mastery?
    Didn't do any math to back it up, but using purely logic, it would be best reforging haste to mastery. A bit slower casts -> less mana usage -> and more mana means more dmg from mastery while crit remains the same which means big crits inc! On the other hand if you reforge crit to mastery, haste remains the same which means you spend more mana, lowering the value of mastery and, at the same time, you are losing crit. But this is for 85. For now it should be crit to mastery because mana pools are huge atm and you don't ever need to worry about mana efficiency and haste enables you to spike up the dmg insanely.

When fights last for 2 minutes or less they are supposed to be WAAAAAAY over the other class's. Its very normal, ok, just fine, working as intended, supposed to be that way, etc etc etc.

ok thanks for pointing out 46 rating=1 mastery point, so the math now is:

46 crit=1% dmg increase (statistically)
    46 mastery=1.5% factor

1.5% factor means at 100% mana you gain 1.5% dmg increase, at 50% you gain 0.75% increase

so only if you maintain mana above 1/1.5=66.7% is it better than crit, dmg only consideration

of course you need to consider crit gives you back mana, and other factors...

so should i reforge crit to mastery? not sure, i kind of like crit so not too mana dependent and can burn for longer time without loss of dmg too much

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I too am a bit confused about the direction in which to take stats and priority as it pertains to mastery. Signs are pointing to Reforging haste to mastery and building up Mastery > Crit > Haste > Int. Am I off in what I'm understanding?

Based on my current setup I was only pulling 9-11k in ICC10 normal.

Thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Horuss View Post
    I reforged every piece of gear im wearing to mastery. got up to 20.81 mastery, 588 mastery rating, (+12.81%). "Increases all spell damage done by up to 31% based on the amount of mana the mage has unspent."
    Restore some of your items back. Mastery works on full percentage points. 12.81% is no better than 12.00%.