Mastery for Ret... Useless?

So from what I'm hearing from the community is that Haste is basically king, and crit is better than Hand of Light. Is this true? Our mastery is just.... bleh? Is it different at 85?
    "Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

To say our mastery is useless is just silly. TV is an amazingly hard hitting ability and getting in as many as you can is always going to be a good thing.

I have heard mastery is last in priority of stats (hit cap/expertise cap>crit>haste>mastery) and I'm confused, it seems like a very good ability and I'm trying to read theorycrafting about it... herm.
    [85 Retribution/Holy][85 Restoration/Elemental][81 Unholy/Blood][80 Discipline/Holy][80 Feral/Restoration][41 Subtelty]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by janeheals View Post
    I have heard mastery is last in priority of stats (hit cap/expertise cap>crit>haste>mastery) and I'm confused, it seems like a very good ability and I'm trying to read theorycrafting about it... herm.
    In fact, untill haste cap it's:
    Hit/Expert cap, Str = Haste > crit >>>> mastery.

And at softcap, Haste go down to the same value as crit.

Our mastery is terrible because it doesn't give us a "free move", but replace a filler with a TV, which mean, that if you just replaced and Exo that could have been a crit, and your TV is not a crit, then you did less damage with your TV than you'd have done with a Crit exo. Sometimes it makes us loose dps, that's why our mastery is not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarius View Post
    In fact, untill haste cap it's:
    Hit/Expert cap, Str = Haste > crit >>>> mastery.

And at softcap, Haste go down to the same value as crit.

Our mastery is terrible because it doesn't give us a "free move", but replace a filler with a TV, which mean, that if you just replaced and Exo that could have been a crit, and your TV is not a crit, then you did less damage with your TV than you'd have done with a Crit exo. Sometimes it makes us loose dps, that's why our mastery is not that good.
    If they made it where in addition to the procc, it hit twice as hard, maybe it'd be more worth it.

Deleted
    they always say, they wanna keep RNG out of the game, and giving us RNG-mastery... hoooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Useless is a weird word in theory crafting.
    If haste brings 0.00001% more dps than crit, than you stack haste.

Mastery will give you dps, and it is a nice ability, but the other ones are just better.
    When you have three stats, you will always have a better one.. if Mastery was the best, you might have been asking if crit was useless
    It's useless because it is a potential dps DECREASE. What other class has to deal with that? We click TV when Hand of Light proccs. We could have done a higher damaging ability, such as a exo crit. They shouldn't make us have to click it and sacrifice dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Miju View Post
    they always say, they wanna keep RNG out of the game, and giving us RNG-mastery... hoooray!
    They said RNG is good for the game and its what keeps the game alive.

But the amount of RNG ret good is stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by macke View Post
    They said RNG is good for the game and its what keeps the game alive.

But the amount of RNG ret good is stupid.
    yeah it is.... i also hate those rng-trinkets.... same with 2pieces t10 pre 4.0 -_-

now i got insane dmg peaks if hand of light proccs several times in a row, and nearly nothing to do if CS is on cd and art of war / hand of light doesnt procc

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix View Post
    It's useless because it is a potential dps DECREASE. What other class has to deal with that? We click TV when Hand of Light proccs. We could have done a higher damaging ability, such as a exo crit. They shouldn't make us have to click it and sacrifice dps.
    Right now Exorcism is a guaranteed critical strike chance on any target of consequence, which won't be the case in Cataclysm. Melee critical strike chances are, generally, higher than spell critical strike chances for Retribution Paladins, and there are no talents that increase the critical strike chance of our Exorcism (whereas we get an extra 12% chance to get a critical strike with Templar's Verdict). Assuming that Exorcism still hits for less than Templar's Verdict, there will be fewer times where choosing to use a mastery proc for a Templar's Verdict will be worth less damage than using a filler ability.

Add to that the need to keep Inquisition up from level 81 onwards, and our mastery procs mean that we can push our next TV back by a single GCD, rather than an entire cycle, which should increase its effectiveness. I'm not saying that mastery is ever going to be absolutely amazing with the current setup, but it's possible that it will be a clearer DPS gain once we've reached level 85.

well, there is a good part in it too. When they will realise that rets are ignoring mastery - they will change it... probably... some passive damage increase or phys damage to holy conversion would be nice ^^
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeman View Post
    Our mastery isn't anything particularly special in pve, but damn, I almost hope they don't change it simply because of the fact that dropping two back to back Templar's Verdict crits on some unfortunate cloth-wearer is ridiculous and awesome.
    And make them go to official forum and QQ.

Just like the Spriest who did the mistake of attacking me from far behind while i had wings and him not being at full life (he wa sitting at 23k). I instantly turned over, Hammer of wrath, bang, dead Spiest.

QQ wave inc and nerfs btw.