Page 2 of 210 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I have been playing wow for some time... I love playing as a pally.. but when my account got hacked an wow refused to get my account back i had to start all over an im now a feral dps cat an i love it.. i think this thread gas helped me out alot to understand what to do now lol thanks guys

I can't get my head around why the Ferocious Bite glyph is bad. It allows for more FBs in the rotation. Would you mind showing some math on it? Or even just a decent explanation?

Deleted
    2 glyphed FB's is the same as 1 unglyphed FB, since it consumes 100% more energy to deal 100% more damage. But 2 glyphed FBs requires 10 combopoints. And since FB has a lot better DPE than shred, you want to maximize the amount of energy spent on FB while minimizing the amount of energy spent on shred.

Bigger FBs in the rotation is better than more FBs in the rotation.
    Last edited by mmoc2e7b040398; 2010-10-17 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    damn this is good... gj, dude..

Id like to suggest to "3.5 Addons" part: DroodFocus. Its really great - allows you to strip anything you dont want. Comes with basically everything you need too.
    Works like a charm (I disabled everything but threat & debuff/buff).
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...roodfocus.aspx

Works with 4.0.1 ofcourse.
    Last edited by Rapti; 2010-10-17 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Id like to suggest to "3.5 Addons" part: DroodFocus. Its really great - allows you to strip anything you dont want. Comes with basically everything you need too.
    Works like a charm (I disabled everything but threat & debuff/buff).
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...roodfocus.aspx

Works with 4.0.1 ofcourse.
    Thanks, I'll add it

Thanks bud. I went from 7.5k to 9.7k after reading this guide. I think I still have a little ways to go, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    Hit rating
    Improves your chance to hit with attacks. Without any hit rating, you have a 8% chance of missing versus a boss-level target. For every 30.7 hit rating, you will gain 1% more chance to hit. Since a missed special attack will automatically refund 80% of it's energy cost, and white attack are only 15% of your total damage, this is not a very important stat atm. The cap is 245 hit rating for all races; do NOT try to get this as a feral, other stats like agility, mastery and crit are worth much more.

Expertise rating
    Same as hit rating really, except that expertise reduces the chance your attacks get dodged or parried by the boss. Since a dodged special attack will automatically refund 80% of it's energy cost, and white attack are only 15% of your total damage, this is not a very important stat atm. The cap is 6.5%, which requires 26 expertise or 200 expertise rating to negate. Again, do not try to cap this stat; agility, mastery and crit are much more important.
    Would be nice to add a rough value we should be aiming for

Deleted
    Awsome guide Mihir. Im gonna test this out tonight. Especially the part about the FB glyph is gonna be interesting to see Thank you for this work

I like how blizz canged things so far for us cats. But i have to say it will take some time to get used to our new opening rotation.Its more chalenging then what we had before, now we need to use 7 or 8 diferent talents in oour opening.I was practicing it before on dummys but then when i was in uludar and a lot of things are going on, it sure makes it more interesting and harder to do it right.Once we master it we will again rull the dps meters
    Anyone has the same situation at the moment?

Definitely savage roar first in the opener? rather than mangle, shred, shred, TF, rip, rake, ravage, SR?

How close is the return on white hits vs getting TF bleeds going?

Deleted
    It's probably very close. This sequence is based on results from the simulator script in Mew.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Opening Priority: Rip > SR?

Superb guide, Mihir. Most comprehensive notes that I've found so far.

One issue that I've been chewing over is whether Rip should have priority over Savage Roar when opening on a boss. All my test dummy runs have used the old opening rotation (Savage Roar up ASAP, then refreshed at 5 CP after Rip is up), but then I took a look at my damage percents. On one of my better runs (11.3k self-buffed), here's the layout:

Rip 31.8%
    Rake 23.4%
    Shred 19.3%
    Attack 15.2%
    Ferocious Bite 6.2%
    Fury Swipes 3.1%
    Mangle 1.0%

If Savage Roar is up reliably, it's improving my DPS by only approximately (15.2%/1.5)(.5) = 5.1% . The difference may be negligible, but I'm thinking that it may be worth spending those first two GCDs on Rip instead of Savage Roar, especially if you normally have to wait for TF and Berserk in order to Rip, in which case the wait is even longer.

That being said, I hope Blizzard does something to fix Savage Roar. I understand that they wanted to make the Cat rotation more lenient, but this buff is falling from 33% (glyphed) damage boost to little over 5%. The buff would have been more significant if we still had our ArP and if our white damage still pulled 1/3 of our DPS, but that's not the case anymore.

FB is still hovering around the same damage percent as it did (longer Bleeds and SR = more FB, even if they are soft), but it feels anticlimactic to build 5 CP and hit an average 17.3k hit. A single tick from my Rakes and Rips were pulling half that amount, on average. Change is change, and Blizzard has it's reasons, but I hope that they balance Rip, SR, and FB a bit more. If Rip has recently been refreshed, the next 5 CP finisher just doesn't feel as special anymore. I mean, Rip provides nearly 3 times as much damage as the other two finishing moves combined. Thoughts?

Quick disclaimer: I realize that these numbers come from a single boss dummy run and that everyone's gear is different, but these percents should be similar for most Cats.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to ask something about mastery. I dont know if i missed it or not. Does Shred get the benefit from mastery? Since shred increases damage on anything that increases bleed damage. In short, mastery acts like a second mangle(but passive) since it increases bleed damage.
    Last edited by Qhara; 2010-10-18 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhara View Post
    I want to ask something about mastery. I dont know if i missed it or not. Does Shred get the benefit from mastery? Since shred increases damage on anything that increases bleed damage. In short, mastery acts like a second mangle(but paasive) since it increases bleed damage.
    The tooltip leads you to believe it does but, no, mastery does not effect shred in any way.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2010-10-18 at 03:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    The tooltip leads you to believe it does but, no, mastery does not affect shred in any way.
    Noooo. Bummer. Well thanks for the reply.

Deleted
    Heya, I've been away from WoW for a few years, so perhaps someone can clear a few things up for me.

1. Expertise: Mobs can only dodge/parry when attacked from the front, and since our entire dps depends on us behind the mob, there is no worth in this stat?

2. Crit Cap: With white attacks making up a large portion of dps, I can understand keeping under the crit cap. Now that it is closer to 15% however I wonder if it is fine to go over the crit cap as not only it will boost the Shred damage but also both bleeds, which make up over 50% overall damage.

Cheers!

Deleted
    Mobs can dodge from behind as well.

About the crit cap: it's fine to go over it, however the value of crit rating will go down (since white attacks and ferocious bite don't benefit from it anymore), while the value of hit and expertise will go up (since every point of hit you gain will be a guaranteed crit). Since crit isnt that far ahead of hit/expertise in the first place, they switch places on the relative stat value list soon enough.

Ideally you'd want to put your crit and hit (and haste) at such a level that they are equal of value, while maximizing your agility and mastery rating.

For example, in my own gear, which is right at the crit cap, hit and exp are valued at 2.2, crit at 2.1 and haste at 2.0.
    Last edited by mmoc2e7b040398; 2010-10-18 at 04:26 PM.

I'm going to miss being a kitty

But alas, Pask has the right idea and get a hardcore 10m guild to blow through content as a tank

Also pask, if you guys find another guild on the beta lemme know!

My equipment comparison calculator (I had to automate all this, especially PROCs, because it takes too long to compare a large number of options) has very different results using the same relative value weighting formula for trinkets.

I use an "immediately PROCs when off cooldown" methodology which although not precise is fair since all trinkets are treated thusly.

Passive Proc Total
    Sharpened Twilight Scale Heroic 557.15 1383.68 1940.83
    Death’s Verdict/Death’s Choice Heroic 812.16 799 1611
    Deathbringer’s Will Heroic 505.68 641.33 1147

Sharpened Twilight Scale Heroic - 184 Critical Strike Rating which reforges to 110.4 Critical Strike and 73.6 Mastery - 15 second PROC and 45 second cooldown - 33.33% uptime for 1472 Attack Power

Death’s Verdict/Death’s Choice Heroic - 288 Attack Power - 15 second PROC and 45 second cooldown - 33.33% uptime for 510 Agility

Deathbringer's Will Heroic - 167 Critical Strike Rating which reforges to 100.2 Critical Strike and 66.8 Mastery - 30 second PROC and 105 second cooldown - 28.57% uptime with equal treatment for all three possible PROCs since the PROC is random - 700 Agility / 700 Strength / 700 Haste - 33.33% chance for any of the auras to PROC
    Last edited by Purrfunctory; 2010-10-19 at 12:12 AM.