Thread: Asus G51 in WoW

Asus G51 in WoW

Hey everyone i want to get the Asus G51 with
    Processor Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz
    RAM 4GB DDR3 1066MHz
    Graphics: NVidia GTS 360M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR5 dedicated VRAM.
    My question is will this run WoW on High/Ultra Settings with at least 40 FPS in 25 mans?
    and
    If anyone has any ideas for keeping the computer cool whether it be external fan or whatever please leave some ideas

definitey, i have the asus G73JH, with similar specs. runs perfectly.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me just say now, from my own experiences with a lower-quality computer, that computer will be overkill for WoW. 40 FPS in 25 mans, that should probably be pretty easy with that kind of RAM/processor/video card.

In terms of keeping it cool, plenty of internal fans would be good, but if you really want to be a pioneer, I wouldn't hesitate to get that all put into a liquid cooling computer case. Then no fans needed! And liquid cooling cases look badass...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw i think you wanna repost this in the computer part of the forums because this have NOTHING to do with cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only thing he could say it has to do with Cataclysm would be in reference to the graphics engine in Cataclysm... which really isn't much more than what is currently in-game. Computer forums would probably be a good idea.
    "A flower.

I'm going to be buying a g60JX in December and your specs seem pretty close. I can guarantee you it will run just fine. WoW is CPU intensive and i5 is perfect for it.

Well if I were you I'd up the cpu a bit and maybe downgrade the video card (like getting a radeon 5770). WoW is definately straining the cpu more than the video card in 25man raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    NVidia > Radeon imo ;P
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Navixo View Post
    I'm going to be buying a g60JX in December and your specs seem pretty close. I can guarantee you it will run just fine. WoW is CPU intensive and i5 is perfect for it.
    It will not be able to run 25man raids with 40+ FPS, though. If so, then my computer is the worst piece of shit the world has ever known.

My i7 @ 2.66 GHz runs 25man raids at 35-40 FPS with camera distance hammered up.
    (this may be outdated info though, just overclocked my GPU yesterday, and last 25man raid I did was a month ago or so)
    (or maybe I'm just retarded at long-term memory. I don't know if above info is just exageration from my point)

Specs for reference:
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
    2x nVidia GeForce GT 230 (SLI)
    9GB of RAM (3x 2GB sticks and 3x 1GB sticks)
    Last edited by mmocdd4fd472cb; 2010-10-16 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo on the GPU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    It will not be able to run 25man raids with 40+ FPS, though. If so, then my computer is the worst piece of shit the world has ever known.

My i7 @ 2.66 GHz runs 25man raids at 35-40 FPS with camera distance hammered up.
    (this may be outdated info though, just overclocked my GPU yesterday, and last 25man raid I did was a month ago or so)
    (or maybe I'm just retarded at long-term memory. I don't know if above info is just exageration from my point)

Specs for reference:
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
    2x nVidia GeForce 230 GT (SLI)
    9GB of RAM (3x 2GB sticks and 3x 1GB sticks)
    Aren't SLI video cards kind of old? =X
    And is your RAM DDR2 or DDR3?
    "A flower.

Aren't SLI video cards kind of old?
    SLI and Crossifre (same thing basically just different brands) are systems that allow you to use two, or more, cards instead of just one, they're not old. The biggest problem with SLI and similar technologies is that games are not usually optimized to use them by default.

As far as FPS's go, get those graphic card drivers updated. NVIDIA actually distributes laptop graphic card drivers, which AMD/ATI doesn't that I know of.

Deleted
    I don't quite remember, but I think it's DDR2 RAM.
    EDIT once again: It's DDR3.

SLI.. Hell I don't know much about it actually.
    EDIT: Sensei_Sin cleared up my memory, thanks.

The rig was bought back in the end of sept. 2009, OEM, and my short-term AND long-term memory are rubbish, so excuse me if I can't give much real input. :/
    Last edited by mmocdd4fd472cb; 2010-10-16 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Let me just say now, from my own experiences with a lower-quality computer, that computer will be overkill for WoW. 40 FPS in 25 mans, that should probably be pretty easy with that kind of RAM/processor/video card.

In terms of keeping it cool, plenty of internal fans would be good, but if you really want to be a pioneer, I wouldn't hesitate to get that all put into a liquid cooling computer case. Then no fans needed! And liquid cooling cases look badass...
    I don't think you realize it's a Laptop that he's purchasing. Not a desktop. Also, I actually doubt that you would be able to run Ultra in 25 mans with a constant 40 fps. Some effects during raids like to eat up graphics cards(*cough* Marrowgar's flame), and from my experience laptop gfx cards definitely lag behind a great deal when compared with their desktop counterparts. On the other hand, if you're fine with High(and a lower A/A) you may be able to keep a stable 40. But I would not be surprised about it dropping. Other than that, Asus makes great laptops. Especially budget gaming machines. But if you aren't really needing the portability I would strongly recommend going to a desktop. You get so much more power at a lower price.

Edit: Another thing I'd like to point out is that a lot of people thing that when you use a laptop you can use it to game everywhere. That's definitely not true. Unfortunately laptops when gaming can heat up very quick when there isn't proper ventilation and all that it takes is one good overheat to fuck over your CPU, which will be a bitch to replace in a laptop(you would be better off buying a whole new laptop actually). Again, Asus is a decent brand but it a year's time if you don't take care of it you will see it's performance drop significantly.

Edit2: Oh and www [dot] mmo-champion [dot] com/threads/775632-Wow-I-thought-the-GTS-360M-had-DX11-and-good-shaders <.<;
    Last edited by Trycent; 2010-10-16 at 11:13 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Deltrus
    I don't really think the guy wants to put a laptop in a liquid cooling computer case. I guess the GTS 360M didn't scream mobile enough. Ever thought about just keeping your mouth shut sometimes instead of making yourself look like a complete dumb fuck?

OP
    The system looks good enough for Cata and should run great. Don't think it's overkill what so ever. A full system with one of the newer i7 processors, 12GB ram, and quad SLI video cards is over kill for WoW. This laptop is certainly not overkill.