Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    In heroics it ends up that I tank and dps as well. In Icecrown raids I dps. So if the tank is good and geared it can tank perfectly.

Deleted
    Give tanks a good headstart on bosses or whatever , use HoS at the best time pos :P

Deleted
    Vengeance does the threat.

The only fight I've had any threat trouble on was Lady Deathwhisper. Not even sure what happened either, I was sitting at 90% threat, used Salv on myself then 20 seconds later BOOM! 190% and she's wailing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    is there any evidence to promote this yet? i think it works different in that you generate 0 aggro over its duration and there is nothing coming back afterwards. our feral tank does mad tps so it isnt an issue in both cases. but if the glyph works as i think it does, just use it when you activate zealotry and you get an easy ride without threat worries. :P
    Yeah if it worked that way it would be awesome, but sadly, I can confirm this is not the case. A friend of mine and I tested it within the last 2 days or so. He ran up pulled an elite in Icecrown (so it would live more than 2 globals), I waited for a few seconds to let him get a good 10-20k threat on it, then I popped glyphed Salv and went in. I went all out for about 8 seconds or so, easily blowing past his threat, then when glyphed Salv wore off the mob immediately targeted me and I kept all the threat I generated while it was up.

Essentially glyphed Salv works similar to Mirror Images. You cannot pull aggro while it's up, but as soon as it ends you retain all the threat you had before you cast it and all the threat you generated while it was up. In my professional opinion, the uses of the glyph are extremely situational, mostly reserved for the same sort of situations you would Hand of Protection someone for.

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 12:41 AM ----------

OT: In response to the threat issues, I agree with most of the other posters here, tank threat is so ridiculous atm that you shouldn't have major issues. The only time threat is ever sketchy for me is at the very beginning of the fight, both because as a paladin my start-of-fight snap threat is... lackluster, and because Vengeance won't be stacked up early on. As soon as I get my first ShoR crit, though, I shoot way ahead of all the dps. Oftentimes by the end of the fight I usually am at twice the threat of the highest dps, at least.

So my advice would be to make sure your hunters and rogues are using their threat transfer abilities and your tanks are generating threat like they're supposed to. How you start the fight might also depend on what sort of tank you roll with. As I've said it could be a little more sketchy for a paladin, but I see no reason a warrior shouldn't have quite a lot of threat in the first global.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, especially if properly sharpened and in the hands of a well trained ninja.

Go go gadget ret tank.

Seriously though, with tanks still learning their new rotations and figuring out how to generate threat again (which may be broken at 80 for now anyway), the best thing for all DPS to do is to not blow the f*** up on the boss right away. For example, on DS, my guild's old idea used to be to blow all dps cooldowns, bloodlust, whatever we had available in the very beginning of the fight, before the first set of blood beasts. That's no longer a viable option since tanks need to establish a threat lead.

Fortunately, retribution paladins seem to have this built in to their new rotation. Give the tanks 2 or three seconds before doing anything, then start off with CS spam to generate your Holy Power, then head in to whatever rotation you currently favor. On many fights I still find myself creeping up on threat (use Omen or some sort of other threat tracker) and if it's available I use the threat-reducing Hand (forgot its name) and if it's not available, I just auto-attack until my threat is more reasonable. Even backing off like this I can manage around 10 dps in a ten-man, depending on the boss. I peaked at 14k dps on heroic Deathbringer before I had to back off.

Basically, it seems we're going back to vanilla days. Wait for two Sunders, then hit it very hard. And very fast.