Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    Only thing I disagree with is the episode you didn't like. For me it was episode 4, mainly because I really don't like Beth.
    I liked the Abraham episode. It's just that I liked it less than the other two. His story is the standard "soldier with PTSD" story, it has not much depth because the character himself has forced himself to live on the surface of things with a singular purpose to survive. Beth, who sings in the apocalypse and still believes in beauty and art yet also struggles with suicidal thoughts and detachment when the guy she liked died while at the prison, is a much deeper character, as much as people find her as an annoyance in the Apocalypse. And Carol, who has literally burned away her old self, multiple times, who is arguably a better person now (like Daryl) when the world has gone to shit, as opposed to when everything was "normal." Now that's a story.

Also, did anyone else notice that Carol talked about how she changed when Ed died, and when she left the prison, and alluded to changing when she killed the girls...but never mentioned anything about having to change when Sophia died? Interesting. I wonder if that's any insight into her as a mother. It may have just been cut out, narratively I think the line could have easily been there.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I liked the Abraham episode. It's just that I liked it less than the other two. His story is the standard "soldier with PTSD" story, it has not much depth because the character himself has forced himself to live on the surface of things with a singular purpose to survive. Beth, who sings in the apocalypse and still believes in beauty and art yet also struggles with suicidal thoughts and detachment when the guy she liked died while at the prison, is a much deeper character, as much as people find her as an annoyance in the Apocalypse. And Carol, who has literally burned away her old self, multiple times, who is arguably a better person now (like Daryl) when the world has gone to shit, as opposed to when everything was "normal." Now that's a story.

Also, did anyone else notice that Carol talked about how she changed when Ed died, and when she left the prison, and alluded to changing when she killed the girls...but never mentioned anything about having to change when Sophia died? Interesting. I wonder if that's any insight into her as a mother. It may have just been cut out, narratively I think the line could have easily been there.
    Very interesting.

Reason people, find people, like Beth annoying is because of the GRAVITY of the situation at all times. There isn't time for singing, it attracts Walkers, or worse, people. Painting is a time of plenty or surplus activity. The reasons the arts came to be, is because of surplus. People didn't have to worry as much, thus could find time to actually invent and inspire. This isn't the case in Beth's world.

I find people empathize with the situation, more than they are willing to admit. This leads to a annoyance of particulars. People will actually sweat the small stuff in stressful situations. Since the story is really tense and foreboding, it tends to bring out the worst of peoples particulars. Which says a whole lot about them, they might not even be aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

I think making Abraham's story so simple is a mistake and he is a much more complex character then you are giving him credit for. I imagine it was either an omission on purpose or they just didn't think that changed her as much. I doubt if it it was said they would remove it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Very interesting.

Reason people, find people, like Beth annoying is because of the GRAVITY of the situation at all times. There isn't time for singing, it attracts Walkers, or worse, people. Painting is a time of plenty or surplus activity. The reasons the arts came to be, is because of surplus. People didn't have to worry as much, thus could find time to actually invent and inspire. This isn't the case in Beth's world.

I find people empathize with the situation, more than they are willing to admit. This leads to a annoyance of particulars. People will actually sweat the small stuff in stressful situations. Since the story is really tense and foreboding, it tends to bring out the worst of peoples particulars. Which says a whole lot about them, they might not even be aware of.
    I think people don't like her because every show has a character that people tend to pick out to be the 'worst" actor/character whatever without any real merit or reasoning beyond their initial statement. I mean I haven't heard anything specific about beth besides she isn't a good actor on this thread in a while that i can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I think people don't like her because every show has a character that people tend to pick out to be the 'worst" actor/character whatever without any real merit or reasoning beyond their initial statement. I mean I haven't heard anything specific about beth besides she isn't a good actor on this thread in a while that i can remember.
    More than people are willing to admit; the gravity of Beth's world haunts them. They don't understand why this particular person, or character annoys them. It just does. It just might be that they wouldn't tolerate that sort of behavior if faced with it. They just don't want to admit it, because who wants to honestly admit they hates a beautiful woman singing, in a tortured world. So they feel "rubbed" wrong. Thus, in the ensuring thought process, label it bad acting or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

More than people are willing to admit; the gravity of Beth's world haunts them. They don't understand why this particular person, or character annoys them. It just does. It just might be that they wouldn't tolerate that sort of behavior if faced with it. They just don't want to admit it, because who wants to honestly admit they hates a beautiful woman singing, in a tortured world. So they feel "rubbed" wrong. Thus, in the ensuring thought process, label it bad acting or whatever.
    I don't think Emily Kinney is a bad actor, I just don't value or like her character.

Just like the show has stated in the Beth episode, some people just aren't meant for this world.

I know shes gonna die. I think Beth realizes this too. Shes gonna die saving someone who can live in this world, Carol.
    Last edited by Bill Nye the Spy; 2014-11-19 at 09:07 AM.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

And that just ties into the theme of the Carol/Daryl episode. If people like Beth "aren't meant for this world," but people like the Governor, Gareth (who transformed from a sheep to a wolf, in biblical terms), and Dawn *ARE* meant for this world, can anyone really be saved? Is the world even worth fighting for any more? That's what Carol is struggling with, and why in the end she wanted to save Noah even though hours before she was willing to shoot him to get back their weapons. It's also why she was sneaking off while everyone was celebrating in the Church.

I think there's one scene in the last episode that perfectly defines this, where they're discussing a painting in some rich person's office. Daryl describes it as a dog wiping his ass on the canvas, but Carol likes it. I think she also despairs a little that Daryl can't find the beauty in it. Daryl has grown from the boy in the other world who worshipped his big brother, to a man "meant for this world." That's the exact same struggle Rick is going through as well. Carol thought she was the same kind of "meant for this world" person after the prison, but what happened with the girls and Tyrese seriously unnerved her and "burned her away."

That's the overarching theme of this season, it's fairly obvious: Can we keep our humanity, our dignity, and our inner sense of self, in such an apocalyptic world? The apocalypse isn't the story any more, the story is how people move beyond surviving in the apocalypse, to living.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I haven't heard anything specific about beth besides she isn't a good actor on this thread in a while that i can remember.
    Her character is vapid and inconsistently detached. Her actions often make no sense given the situation and instead of her quirks providing a mystery to unravel, it just comes off as out of place and poorly executed. Going all the way back to her 'boyfriend' in the prison until now, her character has been a total mess. And yes, her acting is terrible. She has Kristen Stewart syndrome. Her faces all look the same, her moping attitude is not believable, and she seems like she is in a walking, drug induced coma. How many more reasons do you need to dislike a character? She's god awful and just like Lori and Andrea before her, I can't wait for her to die as quickly as possible so we can all move on from her terribly written character.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Why not? All the previous episodes had plenty of them, is it wrong to expect it again?

You may have liked it but its not my type of episode, I don't mind some talking but in this episode it just dragged on for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    She's god awful and just like Lori and Andrea before her, I can't wait for her to die as quickly as possible so we can all move on from her terribly written character.
    ...and that sort of attitude is why I've come to loathe a significant portion of the show's fans. It's annoying to see so many people screaming for characters that they dislike to be killed off since it usually leads to appeasement and then those of us who do like the characters involved end up losing out.

As for the recent episode I enjoyed it quite a lot. We didn't learn anything new but it was great to see Daryl and Carol spend some time together. I also loved seeing what Atlanta is like now that the outbreak has gone on for quite some time. I hope we get to see more of Dawn during the next episode!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Completely wrong. I would like Beth's character IF Emily Kimmel could act. She can't, so I don't. Nothing to do with the character itself. I'm not sure why you can't see the separation of those two things.

- - - Updated - - -

The "worst" character for me was Bob (just personal preference). Beth could have been a very good character, symbolizing the "light" of the new world, that there can still be beauty, etc. But Emily Kimmel sucks as an actress, so whatever was to be gained from her in the show is now lost.

Hopefully, we'll lose her too in the next few episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    She's god awful and just like Lori and Andrea before her, I can't wait for her to die as quickly as possible so we can all move on from her terribly written character.
    I liked those 2. :/ But yeah, Beth isn't one of my favourites.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    ...and that sort of attitude is why I've come to loathe a significant portion of the show's fans. It's annoying to see so many people screaming for characters that they dislike to be killed off since it usually leads to appeasement and then those of us who do like the characters involved end up losing out.
    Judging from your avatar you have a propensity for liking poorly written and terrible characters on the show. It's annoying that so many people can't discern what is good writing and seek to judge others on a forum for their opinions. Do you see what I did there? I mirrored your 'attitude', since you want to use that word.

To see a victim card played so wantonly...regarding characters on a TV show we all watch is tacky. Please just stop. We're free to have whatever opinions we want. I'm not going to loathe actual people because they have different opinions of a TV show I watch. That is sad.
    BAD WOLF

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What's really annoying are posts like yours that take opinions of art and turn them into real life physical hatred. And to make it worse, you seem to not know the difference between a good character, a bad actor and questionable writing.

It's abysmally obvious that the Beth episode and most of the Abraham episode was done with scrub writers. The Daryl/Carol episode brought us back to the good writing, and great choices on further developing already terrific characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    What an irrational view. People don't like a character so they'd rather said character wasn't in it, and that 'attitude' annoys you? Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But Emily Kimmel sucks as an actress, so whatever was to be gained from her in the show is now lost.
    At least she's cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    What an irrational view. People don't like a character so they'd rather said character wasn't in it, and that 'attitude' annoys you? Pathetic.
    It's not irrational at all. There's plenty of characters I dislike across multiple shows but I don't pressure the writers to kill them off. That's just selfish, especially when there's people out there who do like those characters. I'm not the biggest fan of Beth but she's nowhere near as bad as some people make her out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not irrational at all. There's plenty of characters I dislike across multiple shows but I don't pressure the writers to kill them off.
    Yeah, because the writers are in here reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Yeah, because the writers are in here reading this thread.
    I was speaking in broader terms rather than referring just to people on this particular site. If you check out any of the major sites out there devoted to the show including the official ones you'll see a lot of people kicking and screaming about how much they hate Lori, Andrea, Beth and Shane.

When they went into Atlanta, why was the inbound lane completely empty?

If a zombie apocalypse was really happening, would people really worry about traffic laws, and sit in a jam, rather than driving down the other lane?

Is it not standard evacuation procedure to have both lanes as outgoing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    When they went into Atlanta, why was the inbound lane completely empty?

If a zombie apocalypse was really happening, would people really worry about traffic laws, and sit in a jam, rather than driving down the other lane?

Is it not standard evacuation procedure to have both lanes as outgoing?
    When the outbreak happened they flocked to the city because the government told them too. When it went to shit , they tried to evacuate but it was too late.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?