Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ret GoAK design?

Recently Ret's Guardian of Ancient Kings was buffed to do an absurd amount of burst at the end of it's duration via Ancient Fury. Obviously this damage will be brought down but how can it really be balanced between PvP and PvE. Since it's a 5 minute cooldown it really has to hit pretty damn hard to be a respectable PvE cooldown, yet it can only hit so hard before it becomes OP in PvP. I hear the damage of the melee swings of the Guardian has been buffed which is a nice way to spread out the damage of the cooldown, but it seems that to truly make this balanced in PvP and PvE this ability should become a complete copy of Shadowmourne and let the Paladin keep the stack of STR for at least 10 seconds or so after the Guardian dies. This way the damage can be spread out between guardian melee, Ancient Fury explosion and a longer lasting STR buff.

well we only get the ancient fury buff if we or our pet hit them so in pvp all they need to do is kite us and we wont get much ofa buff out of it
    and ret is quite easy to kite atm

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumos View Post
    Recently Ret's Guardian of Ancient Kings was buffed to do an absurd amount of burst at the end of it's duration via Ancient Fury. Obviously this damage will be brought down but how can it really be balanced between PvP and PvE. Since it's a 5 minute cooldown it really has to hit pretty damn hard to be a respectable PvE cooldown, yet it can only hit so hard before it becomes OP in PvP. I hear the damage of the melee swings of the Guardian has been buffed which is a nice way to spread out the damage of the cooldown, but it seems that to truly make this balanced in PvP and PvE this ability should become a complete copy of Shadowmourne and let the Paladin keep the stack of STR for at least 10 seconds or so after the Guardian dies. This way the damage can be spread out between guardian melee, Ancient Fury explosion and a longer lasting STR buff.
    My pet hit for 655K in yesterdays 25 man raid on beta it made my DPS look pretty damn good while I sit up in the top spot sucks that it all happened because of a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

I'm almost positive that the prevalent PvP tactic upon seeing your enemy use GOAK will be to pew pew it to death as fast as possible. Remember, the other team is more powerful now, too. Depending on the survivability of the Guardian vs. players (who use their brains and think "gee I should probably kill the big glowing dude"), it may see little to no use in PvP whatsoever.

15+ Year Old Account
    HoJ + GoAK + Wings pray the enemy is confused and win.
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitee View Post
    well we only get the ancient fury buff if we or our pet hit them so in pvp all they need to do is kite us and we wont get much ofa buff out of it
    and ret is quite easy to kite atm
    Well yeah, of course good players would be alright, but blizzard also balances PvP around baddies; if you real we got nerfed int he middle of WotLK for being too good in BGs.

This just in, Ret's GOAK was nerfed by 75%. More reasonable, imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still think the static STR bonus is bad- It makes it not scale well in the end, just like a number of other abilities (I'm looking at you, HoW).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    I still think the static STR bonus is bad- It makes it not scale well in the end, just like a number of other abilities (I'm looking at you, HoW).
    Yeah over all this entire ability has bad scaling written all over it. Anybody have any clue if the Guardian gains any of your AP or other stats?

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Verdris View Post
    This just in, Ret's GOAK was nerfed by 75%. More reasonable, imo.
    Yes, but people were reporting 7 digit crits, even if that is an exaggeration, this nerfed guardian can still probably do 100,000 or more if you pop wings, thus baddies will still get one-shot by him.

The solution to a bad cd was an op cooldown? Really blizz? Beta is beta I guess.

Wtb bm hunter pet v. Ret guardian video
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Wait, what is happening with GoAK? The change on the front page seemed to be a nerf not a buff. I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfaced View Post
    Wait, what is happening with GoAK? The change on the front page seemed to be a nerf not a buff. I'm confused.
    It is a nerf but it is because the Ancient Fury attack unleashed by the guardian was hitting for 500,000 and even 7 digit crits were reported. But, even with this nerf we could hit someone who is bad at kiting/ccing for 100,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight View Post
    Sorry for being ignorant, but I was under the impression the guardian himself was untargetable?
    Last I heard yeah he's invincible.

While I do think it looks cool, personally I'm getting rather tired of cooldowns being dependent on external forces.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

15+ Year Old Account
    On beta in a Raid GoAK is still putting out 125-175K it's not terrible but I'm sure it will be nerfed again in the name of balance.

Deleted
    Nah it's okay. Come on it's a level 85 ability. It is supposed to be powerful!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrael View Post
    Nah it's okay. Come on it's a level 85 ability. It is supposed to be powerful!!!
    Not that powerful it will get nerfed again sooner or later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    Not that powerful it will get nerfed again sooner or later.
    That's kinda stupid... I mean in the name of what? Some noobs fail assumption about their penis sieze?

Quote Originally Posted by Idrael View Post
    That's kinda stupid... I mean in the name of what? Some noobs fail assumption about their penis sieze?
    Probably in the name of an ability hitting for 150k?

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    On beta in a Raid GoAK is still putting out 125-175K it's not terrible but I'm sure it will be nerfed again in the name of balance.
    hey im just wondering, how much damage do the rest of our abilities do? just to compare as i am not on the beta