An interesting Mind Sear Problem.

Well i was mind searing mobs the other day (not enough to hit the aoe deminishing returns sorta cap thingy). and found that it was hitting like a limp noodle pretty much 100 percent of the time.

I then when and used holy nova on those same adds i had been trying to aoe down with mind sear. low and behold our holy nova spam actually does more damage than mind sear.

Boy oh boy im so glad we got mind sear when a holy spell can do more damage than it.

Since the new patch it seems most priests didn't see that they were nerfing Mind Sear. It is severely gimped and now useless. I've stated before I don't care if using Mind Sear we are top dmg on AoE situations, but at least make it competitive again.

15+ Year Old Account
    AOE has been severely nerfed. Mind sear now has a meteor effect, the more targets it hit, the less damage it does.

A new viable aoe tactic is to dot every target up with shadow word pain and run like a mofo causing an army of shadow apparitions to appear

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6536/priestpets.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chir0n View Post
    AOE has been severely nerfed. Mind sear now has a meteor effect, the more targets it hit, the less damage it does.

A new viable aoe tactic is to dot every target up with shadow word pain and run like a mofo causing an army of shadow apparitions to appear

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6536/priestpets.jpg
    It always had the standard aoe nerf past a certain number of mobs..10? The damage was nerfed recently though. Pretty significantly. I notice it's doing about 60% of the damage it was. This was a totally unnecessary nerf. I won't say it's useless, but...it's pretty close.

People like to say 'but all aoe got nerfed!!'. Yeah right, go tell that to warlocks.

Edit - To the person below me..no aoe got nerfed half as hard as mind sear. And I'd say warlocks got buffed. Watch an afflic seed up a bunch of things, and everytime that seed blows up it spreads corruption to every target.
    Last edited by Rizzoti; 2010-10-19 at 04:20 AM.

Every AoE has been nerfed by rather severe amounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far the only AoE's ive seen nerfed quite alot is hunters volley (they're getting multi shot to fill in iirc)
    and ours, the mages and locks i've talked to still do very nice aoe damage, it makes me wonder hmmm

But on topic yes nerf hammer
    I am immortal, I cannot die
    I have inside me the blood of kings

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzoti View Post
    It always had the standard aoe nerf past a certain number of mobs..10? The damage was nerfed recently though. Pretty significantly. I notice it's doing about 60% of the damage it was. This was a totally unnecessary nerf. I won't say it's useless, but...it's pretty close.

People like to say 'but all aoe got nerfed!!'. Yeah right, go tell that to warlocks.

Edit - To the person below me..no aoe got nerfed half as hard as mind sear. And I'd say warlocks got buffed. Watch an afflic seed up a bunch of things, and everytime that seed blows up it spreads corruption to every target.
    Spreading corruption via seed is a Soulburn effect. Meaning once every 45 seconds.

In the latest beta build Seed of Corruption is also getting a massive nerf. Blizzard is working towards nerfing all AOE to the point where we remove it from our bar, as I have done with Mind Sear. This doesn't have to be a bad thing. It will be nice to see some organization to pulls again.

Regarding questions on what to do during AOE pulls. I've tried to continue using Mind Sear and find myself "literally" at the bottom of the DPS charts. I've tried the Shadow Army tactic and again find myself at the bottom of the charts. Now I just /assist the tank and single-target DPS, and have found myself competitive on the carts.

Deleted
    That's because in the patch that buffed all AoE, Mind Sear was litterally the only one untouched.

Angry

I wonder how many times blizzard will have to say it. They don't want people AOEing trash down in instances, it's boring. They nerfec AoE to make it unattractive. On the other hand, SW:P and VT spam on bunches of trash mobs does retarded damage, try it out sometime. Other buttons on your bars and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirish View Post
    I wonder how many times blizzard will have to say it. They don't want people AOEing trash down in instances, it's boring. They nerfec AoE to make it unattractive. On the other hand, SW:P and VT spam on bunches of trash mobs does retarded damage, try it out sometime. Other buttons on your bars and such.
    Reducing the tank's aoe threat effectively would achieve the same end. If the dps tries to do the mass aoe, you will pull aggro and die a horrible death. I guess asking players to control themselves in such a manner was too much, and Blizzard felt it was just easier to nerf the damage.

In any event, reading today's beta build...I guess Blizzard read my post on soc. As far as priests..we can still tab dot, which is still potent. I probably won't use mind sear ever again though. It's pretty pathetic.

The nerf to SPriest AoE is nothing compared to how Hunter's AoE was Neutered by more stringent limiters: Damage, and Focus.

Not QQing about FOCUS, but when your AoE shot (which does pitiful one-time AoE dmg) costs 40% of your total Focus, you won't be winning any dps races - but that's also part of Blizzard's plan i think so whatev, I guess.

Im curious to how holy nova with glyph would do in aoe, most likely better than mind sear, but probably not as good as the VT/SW: P spam and run in circles.
    I like fat chickens and I don't know why; Charbroiled on a spit, or fried; When a Boom walks in with a big fat waist; Stripped down and ready to baste; You get HUNGry; Hope the meat ain't tough; Cause you noticed that the bird is stuffed; Deep in the pan he's stewin; I'm hooked and I can't stop droolin; Oh Baby, I wanna get with ya; And fix you fo dinna; Weight Watchers is just starvin; But that butt you got; Was made for carvin...!

Quote Originally Posted by Evaangelina View Post
    Well i was mind searing mobs the other day (not enough to hit the aoe deminishing returns sorta cap thingy). and found that it was hitting like a limp noodle pretty much 100 percent of the time.

I then when and used holy nova on those same adds i had been trying to aoe down with mind sear. low and behold our holy nova spam actually does more damage than mind sear.

Boy oh boy im so glad we got mind sear when a holy spell can do more damage than it.
    Aoe gets weaker the more targets it hits but I don't remember completely but holy nova only hits 5 targets at a time and heals 5 targets at a time so it has no damage reduction like mind sear has but only hits 5 targets unlike mind sear.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

They didn't nerf all AoE effects....my lock can do rain of fire for at least 7-8k, my mage blizzard for same in heroics.....ICC its up to 14-17k depending. Shammy's are buffed, DK's AoE rocks again. The only other class that I know of with nerfed AoE is the Hunter. I'm just saying; Nefing Mind Sear was unnecessary and pointless. In response to Blizz not wanting us to AoE trash down, then they should've nerfed all AoE. I was in a heroic while a warrior pulled 10k dps on trash while I could only get up to 3k. This makes no sense at all.

The tool tip explicitly says it hits all targets with holy damage, but heals 5 targets. So Holy Nova would hit at as many targets that are in range of it for damage, however you are right that AoE gets weaker with the more targets it hits. Last I heard the cap was 10 targets for full damage per a tick and it scales down from there with the more targets that are hit.
    I like fat chickens and I don't know why; Charbroiled on a spit, or fried; When a Boom walks in with a big fat waist; Stripped down and ready to baste; You get HUNGry; Hope the meat ain't tough; Cause you noticed that the bird is stuffed; Deep in the pan he's stewin; I'm hooked and I can't stop droolin; Oh Baby, I wanna get with ya; And fix you fo dinna; Weight Watchers is just starvin; But that butt you got; Was made for carvin...!

Deleted
    Well, the best way to AoE is DoT everything up with SW:P and run around with some occasional refresh. One might wonder why do we have Mind Sear in the first place...