Getting a new laptop...

So, I'm getting a new laptop and I'm switching over to it for WoW. Thing is, WoW in itself takes 2 hours for me to download and install but the patches, oh god!!! the patches take yearssss. You have to patch for like a day until it gets fully up to date, its horrible. Is there a faster way to fully install WoW?? Or do you just have to sit through the patching process until it is completely up to date?

You can just copy it over from another computer, it doesn't actually need to be installed...or you could just download it as apparently as of 4.0.1 you now download an upto date client.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravlax View Post
    You can just copy it over from another computer, it doesn't actually need to be installed...or you could just download it as apparently as of 4.0.1 you now download an upto date client.
    What do you mean copy over? copy the patches over? I highly doubt I have all my patches.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Take your entire World of Warcraft folder on your current PC and use whatever means to copy it anywhere on the new laptop. You should just be able to run the WoW.exe from the new laptop and be golden. I keep a copy of my World of Warcraft folder on an external hard drive for just this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    What do you mean copy over? copy the patches over? I highly doubt I have all my patches.
    he meant folder of WoW..

Oh wow, doesn't it have to go through and put shit in to your registry during the install though? I never knew you could just copy and paste o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    yes you go into your location folder for wow and you will see a bunch of gibberish for file names, those are patches, but more easily he is correct as of 4.0.1 that is the most upto date client when downloaded. if not, just start your new laptop on updating and keep playing on your old one, you won't miss a thing.

2 hours isn't bad, i remember back in the day when wow was released i was still on a 56k connection, 2 days to download a patch....:/
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    Oh wow, doesn't it have to go through and put shit in to your registry during the install though? I never knew you could just copy and paste o_O
    If it adds anything to the registry (I am not sure), it probably does it upon launch of the WoW.exe. I have copy/pasted WoW folders for years and can verify it works on both Windows computers as well as Mac.

do you have to copy the files in the documents and settings folder as well? Or is that pointless

I just ran into a problem as well. It seems as though my WoW folder is read only so I can't transfer it over... when I uncheck it, shows it switching out of read only but it ends up going back to read only.

I'm using filezilla and its only transferring the WoW folder with no files in it.
    Last edited by Lirik; 2010-10-19 at 07:41 PM.