just started tanking with the new stuff and I have a problem

I start out with 5.8k mana.
    I start rotation and drop to about 3.4K mana and just bounce from 3.2K to 3.8k
    why do I loose so much mana at the start and never gain any back?

You probably drop an consecrate right up. It costs some phenominal number like 2.5k mana now. Don't spam cons and you'll be right - if mana is an issue judge more. I've done quite a few runs as prot now and I haven't had a single issue with mana - a far cry from using my /sit macro to take a few crits for SA mana.

I bet your are correct.
    I hit wings, shield and conc right off the bat.
    Then kinda fall into a rotation.
    When I first tested this one dummys I was just trying to get a rotation like everyone was talking about and didn't see much mana problems.
    I am super worried about gaining that first agro that I was going with anything I could to make sure I got it.
    I guess I dropped 3k mana then leveled off. But you sure aren't going to gain mana now.

Guess I haven't posted enough to be able to include the link, but check out the basic training section of the forums on maintankadin.com. There is a really good FAQ thread going there.

youll loose alot of mana at begining of tanking mobs, yes consecration will take big chunk on mana bar, be wise when you spend that especialy now when it have longer cd also.
    There is difference when testng rotation on target dummy and when youll be in real tanking situation cause target dummy doesnt try to hit you so cannot regen mana very fast, dont worry too much about your mana.
    Last edited by Maneken; 2010-10-19 at 02:47 PM.

I never ever had a mana issue since this patch...
    probably you haven't skilled "Hallowed Ground" wich reduces the mana cost of consecration by 80% wich is huge!
    if you are running many heroics i would strongly suggest to put 2 points in this talent and i garantee you will not have mana issues ever again^^

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    I bet your are correct.
    I hit wings, shield and conc right off the bat.
    Then kinda fall into a rotation.
    When I first tested this one dummys I was just trying to get a rotation like everyone was talking about and didn't see much mana problems.
    I am super worried about gaining that first agro that I was going with anything I could to make sure I got it.
    I guess I dropped 3k mana then leveled off. But you sure aren't going to gain mana now.
    For single target, don't use consecration - it's not mana:threat efficient.

Use the currently accepted rotation: Wings > AS [pull] > CS1 > J > CS2 > HW; or AS if CrC procs > CS3 > ShoR > R & R...

i recently had a problem with threat, which is rly suprising because Prot Pallys have been known for large amts of threat, idk if im doing something wrong(ive been tanking since 3.0) idk if the people i was running with just decided to go all out or im doing something wrong.

Derailed the Cereal Thread

Good advice so far, especially about visiting Maintankadin for rotation advice.

As for me, I don't find myself needing consecrate very often. I'll lay it down if there are a ton of mobs and I have enough mana. Otherwise, HotR and HW do the trick to keep them all stuck to me.

If threat is an issue, then I recommend taking a look at your hit and expertise ratings to be sure you're capped. Those are key threat stats.

Good luck.

I could see using consecration earlier on trash in raids, considering they stay up longer, but in 5-mans it's not really worth it.

Deleted
    To be honest, the only reason I popped concecrate at all when I tanked ICC was if we wall pulled mobs (or mis-body-pulled a alrger pack ><) and I just wanted to ensure they went for me (or the DK popped DnD).

Overall it wasn't a great thing to have in the rotation, it's needed ofc, but it wasn't the difference on single or AE. My tab button and threatmeter is still king.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    I start out with 5.8k mana.
    I start rotation and drop to about 3.4K mana and just bounce from 3.2K to 3.8k
    why do I loose so much mana at the start and never gain any back?
    Don't judge first.