Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Smile I tried to add 2 and 2 together and couldn't do it.

So, let me just start off by saying that I am not really interested nor too involved in the lore which is why I hope someone can shed some light on my question. Note: I'm not QQ'ing at the least, I just think it's kinda silly. I guess I'm just trying to take a more realistic approach.

Anyways, after watching the Cataclysm cinematic (which was awesome), I noticed how great and powerful they portray Deathwing as and I couldn't help myself by asking: "Are we really going to kill something that destroys our whole continent with 10/25 people?"

I ask this because although it is neat to fight Deathwing himself, I just think of our characters as little peons in the World of Warcraft, so it does seem kind of silly that, regardless of all our gear and the plate our tank wears, that we would be able to defeat someone with such a powerful stature such as Deathwing. The video even showed armor being made from the bottom of the fucking Earth! You can't get plate better than that!!

Am I the only one that thinks this?

TL;DR version: 10/25 people fighting DW?! WTF?!
    This is for you, the beta-less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWDDma9KvAA

Thread #374 with the same premise for a topic.

Nothing to see here.

Maybe you need to be smarter then?

15+ Year Old Account
    same thing my friend sayed after watching intro i supose we will have some help from Alexstrasza or more likley we will be just helping her win the fight :P

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

10+ Year Old Account
    I myself haven't really thought much about it...

10+ Year Old Account
    you know that armor he had plated on?

even while resting armor slowly melts off him,
    im pretty sure he will be almost bare of armor by the time we fight him. as well as im sure someone ELSE will actually help in the fight (tirion - wisps - dragonform orb clicky things(forget their name)
    etc..etc...

he will be weakened first, do you REALLY think we killed LK at full power? even if he does require masses of scourge to help him, he is well enough to stand on his own, did you do the wrathgate event?
    it was all he could do, to get out of the poison barrels, and escape sylvanas...
    thats some deadly stuff there... try getting into a fight after you have been in a dense smoke filled burning house, and can barely breath.

lmk how it works out for ya.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

15+ Year Old Account
    We really killed Kil'jeaden, a huge as powerfull demon with just 25 people? etc etc

well probably be assisted by some kind of lore char, who ofcourse, gets all credit for the kill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    you know that armor he had plated on?

even while resting armor slowly melts off him,
    im pretty sure he will be almost bare of armor by the time we fight him. as well as im sure someone ELSE will actually help in the fight (tirion - wisps - dragonform orb clicky things(forget their name)
    etc..etc...

he will be weakened first, do you REALLY think we killed LK at full power? even if he does require masses of scourge to help him, he is well enough to stand on his own, did you do the wrathgate event?
    it was all he could do, to get out of the poison barrels, and escape sylvanas...
    thats some deadly stuff there... try getting into a fight after you have been in a dense smoke filled burning house, and can barely breath.

lmk how it works out for ya.
    The armor doesn't melt off Deathwing... if it did, he'd die. The plates aren't there for "armor" they're there to hold his body together.

15+ Year Old Account
    do you REALLY think we killed LK at full power? even if he does require masses of scourge to help him, he is well enough to stand on his own, did you do the wrathgate event?
    Actually, LK oneshot us with Fury of the Frostmourne at 10%, till then he was just playing with/testing us.

Back on topic:
    I hope that Deathwing actually defeats us in the fight, while killing off a major lore character. We could be saved in a last ditch effort so we don't die lorewise. I know that "You lost, have some loot" doesn't sound good, and having a major antagonist for 1.5+ expansions is boring, killing/redeeming/whatever Deathwing isn't too good either. A guy can dream, right?
    Last edited by Killaim; 2010-10-19 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Half my post vanished :<

Quote Originally Posted by hmc View Post
    So, let me just start off by saying that I am not really interested nor too involved in the lore which is why I hope someone can shed some light on my question. Note: I'm not QQ'ing at the least, I just think it's kinda silly. I guess I'm just trying to take a more realistic approach.

Anyways, after watching the Cataclysm cinematic (which was awesome), I noticed how great and powerful they portray Deathwing as and I couldn't help myself by asking: "Are we really going to kill something that destroys our whole continent with 10/25 people?"

I ask this because although it is neat to fight Deathwing himself, I just think of our characters as little peons in the World of Warcraft, so it does seem kind of silly that, regardless of all our gear and the plate our tank wears, that we would be able to defeat someone with such a powerful stature such as Deathwing. The video even showed armor being made from the bottom of the fucking Earth! You can't get plate better than that!!

Am I the only one that thinks this?

TL;DR version: 10/25 people fighting DW?! WTF?!
    You're technically a hero in game.

Just think if stormwind sent a massive army of level 5 soldiers at you, what would happen to them?

Btw, logic is not required in a game of elves and fireballs.
    Last edited by Junlee; 2010-10-19 at 10:27 PM.

You mean like how we fought the last 2 expansion's end bosses alone, right?

oh wait...

I'm assuming we'll be seeing a similar situation. Whereas we had help from akama, maive, the blue dragonflight, tirion, terenas, the thousands of pissed off souls trapped in frostmourne during the past "big bad" boss fights, we'll probably be helped by Alextrasza and other dragons when fighting his deathliness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibi View Post
    The armor doesn't melt off Deathwing... if it did, he'd die. The plates aren't there for "armor" they're there to hold his body together.
    how do you explain him having to replace armor that has melted off from the heat of his body?

maybe melted wasnt quiet the right word... he is extremely abusive even to his own body / armor, to the point he ends up breaking it himself, and has to have constant replacements.

how's that?
    for all we know the Deathwing fight, could be about pure survival, dealing with waves and waves of mini-bosses and adds, while DW flames half the room, and we just have to live past him, destroying himself.

nothing is known yet, other than that lore supports him breaking / melting his armor off.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

as well as im sure someone ELSE will actually help in the fight (tirion - wisps, Alexstrazsa, Nobundo, Akama, Maive, a The Paladin, Wizard (needs food, badly) Thrall, Varian, Bolvar, Nozdormu (or Doc-tor-Who), Uther, Turalyon, 'Reckoning Bomb', Terenas and Arthas Menethil, Sarah Kerrigan, Gandolf the Grey and Gandolf the White, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Kratos, Wolverine, Prof. X, Batman, Emilie Simon's lyrics, etc., etc...
    Fixed it for ya'.

We really killed Kil'jeaden, a huge as powerfull demon with just 25 people?
    Didn't we just force him back through the Sunwell?
    A voice replied...

"Not by the hair on my Wrynny chin chin."

And then Varian Chintercepted Garrosh's cast, then sliced the orcs head off. 24 hours later he was found riding Deathwing over Orgrimmar, burning the city to the ground, laughing maniacally.

10+ Year Old Account
    nothing is known yet, other than that lore supports him breaking / melting his armor off.
    Show me where that's supported in lore? Because the fact that the plates are there to hold him together IS supported by lore.

Deleted
    Someone hasn't been reading quest texts.

You know your character, however stupid a name s/he may bear, is the most revered hero in all of Azeroth right?

Every Boss that is seemingly too strong for us players and was killed was either in a weakened state or we got help from powerful beings.
    So, I expect the red dragonflight/Alexastresa to help us during the encounter.

Just to name a few:

Ragnaros: Summoned "too soon" - weakened state
    C'thun: Imprisoned on his way to break out - weakened state
    Illidan: Akama helped - help
    Kil'Jaeden: Halfway through the summon, Kalcegos, Anveena and the blue dragonflight help - both
    Malygos: Without the red dragonflight, we would have fallen to our death - help
    Yogg-Saron: Keepers supported us, he was only halfway out of the prison - both
    Lich King: He easily killed the whole raid after testing our strength, Tirion came to save the day - help

15+ Year Old Account
    We will not be alone. Expect at least one other Dragon aspect involved in the fight AND him weakened from fighting throughout the course of the expansion would explain how we kill him with 10/25 people NOT to mention in an immersive way, our group of 10 and 25 people are amongst the strongest of our respective classes/ specs.

Also it's an MMORPG, it's not a single player game, it's an extension of beliefe. You don't go into a play being like "OH MAN THIS ISN'T 1939 BROOKLYN! How on EARTH am I supposed to believe this!" It's called the fourth wall.

Most Major Bosses we have had help on killing the big bad guy, you can expect the same this time too. ESPECIALLY this time.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    We really killed Kil'jeaden, a huge as powerfull demon with just 25 people? etc etc

well probably be assisted by some kind of lore char, who ofcourse, gets all credit for the kill
    No, we did not kill Kil'jaeden. We banished him again... or rather we made it so that he was pulled back through the portal.

On topic: You have to differ between what players do and how lore works.
    In Lore, such creatures will be defeated by warriors of some origin.
    When there is no assistance during the fight, then the boss has been killed by "somebody", with "somebody" being at least 1 person of undefined origin.

What we players actually do has hardly anything to do with Lore. It's kinda like an interactive movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Koltak View Post
    Every Boss that is seemingly too strong for us players and was killed was either in a weakened state or we got help from powerful beings.
    So, I expect the red dragonflight/Alexastresa to help us during the encounter.

Just to name a few:

Ragnaros: Summoned "too soon" - weakened state
    C'thun: Imprisoned on his way to break out - weakened state
    Illidan: Akama helped - help
    Kil'Jaeden: Halfway through the summon, Kalcegos, Anveena and the blue dragonflight help - both
    Malygos: Without the red dragonflight, we would have fallen to our death - help
    Yogg-Saron: Keepers supported us, he was only halfway out of the prison - both
    Lich King: He easily killed the whole raid after testing our strength, Tirion came to save the day - help
    Don't forget we also had maive for illidan and thousands of pissed off spirits for Arthas

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Deathwing will be as strong as when he erupted. Spoilers inc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VktesjvGc9o

This link shows the aftermath of Deathwing and Alexstrasza's fight. They both nearly die, but Deathwing flies away while Alexstrasza is wounded.