Frost Raid Rotation Help!

Need help with Frost raid rotation (I have a Hunter and a Lock I'm done with pet bars, so no need to tell me to switch to Unholy)

Seems like with the new cooldowns on runes seems like I never have anything up and after dropping a crap ton of damage early in the fight, longer raid boss fights cut my DPS in half from there.

ALSO...
    Dual Wield Hit Cap?
    Haste?
    Expertise?

Thanks!

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t105701-...ysm_countdown/

In case you don't want to read-- There is no rotation, only a priority list, and this is it:
    Diseases > Ob if both Frost/Unholy pairs and/or both Death runes are up, or if KM is procced >
    BS if both Blood Runes are up > FS > Rime > Ob > BS > HoW.

More simply, oblit with FU pairs and death runes, blood strike with blood runes, FS frequently to dump RP. Howling blast on proc to apply FF, reapply Blood plague when it falls off. If KM procs, prioritize obliterate, until we get higher values of mastery we may end up prioritizing FS.

-Dual wield hit cap is 8% for specials, -3% for the talent. So, you'll need 5% from gear, however, additional hit rating is not completely wasted as it is with 2h, you will still gain more DPS by increasing the frequency of white hits and KM procs. However, this is ONLY in the event that you, for whatever reason, can't get down to 8% because you're way over cap for some reason, even after reforging.
    -Haste is a great stat for frost, in fact as DW the stat order is as follows: Hit to cap >= Expertise to cap > Strength > Mastery > Haste > Crit. The exact stat weights can be found in the link I posted. All of your reforging should be taking excess hit/expertise and crit and reforging them into mastery. -Expertise is as mandatory to cap as the hit cap, due to frost's GCD capping situation.

Frost Hit Cap is 5% for specials if you're specced into Nerves of Cold Steel.

Expertise cap is 26/26, but get as close as you like, personally i sit on 24/24.

Haste is awesome, but your priorities should be

Str> Mastery> Haste> Crit

To be honest, Ripkit has said everything you need to know if you were too lazy to go to elitistjerks or read the sticky.

Can somebody be more specific as to how much Mastery I should have?

As much mastery as you can get while still being hit/expertise capped. Theres no real number to aim for since the only way to get it now is through reforging and everyone is in different gear (for the most part).
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by HektikShok View Post
    Can somebody be more specific as to how much Mastery I should have?
    Drop all your haste into mastery while maintaining the hit/exp caps (as DW).

Congrats, you have as much mastery as you should have.

Rather drop your crit first and reforge to mastery if the item has both crit and haste, and if an item doesn't have any crit reforge the haste on it to mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by HektikShok View Post
    Need help with Frost raid rotation (I have a Hunter and a Lock I'm done with pet bars, so no need to tell me to switch to Unholy)

Seems like with the new cooldowns on runes seems like I never have anything up and after dropping a crap ton of damage early in the fight, longer raid boss fights cut my DPS in half from there.

ALSO...
    Dual Wield Hit Cap?
    Haste?
    Expertise?

Thanks!
    Rotation is as follows:

1) Apply Disease
    2) Smash face on keyboard for 30 seconds
    3) Plague Strike
    4) Repeat step 2 & 3 until boss is dead.

I don't want to be rude or anything, but the Frost priority could be figured out and performed to its maximum by a braindead chimp on meth. They make you think there is more meat to it because you have "random runes" and "procs" but the fact of the matter is (at least at level 80) they don't change what you want to do.

PS> Oblit > FS > Howling Blast

Always and forever.
    Last edited by Vengeful_D; 2010-10-20 at 03:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengeful_D View Post
    Rotation is as follows:

1) Apply Disease
    2) Smash face on keyboard for 30 seconds
    3) Plague Strike
    4) Repeat step 2 & 3 until boss is dead.

I don't want to be rude or anything, but the Frost priority could be figured out and performed to its maximum by a braindead chimp on meth. They make you think there is more meat to it because you have "random runes" and "procs" but the fact of the matter is (at least at level 80) they don't change what you want to do.

PS> Oblit > FS > Howling Blast

Always and forever.
    You are obviously a subpar DK, the difference between doing 8-10k DPS in T10 level gear and doing 13-15k (this is without some silly 30% zone buff) is a rather small one. Rolling your face on the keyboard like some kinda Arcane Mage or Shadow Priest is not going to grant you top of the line DPS, far far from it.

You must pay very close attention to your runes and disease timers when to use Festering Strike and when not to based on what runes have popped and what are still on cooldown. As letting your DoTs drop off cause you have no unholy up but you could have used a Blood/Frost Festering is a bad choice and will cut your damage down. Also ghoul does great damage now even as Frost so making sure to pull him out on a free GCD is also a must. And finally if you playing 2H Frost you use Unholy Presence not Frost Presence.
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

Smile

After new patch there is no rotation and almost no presure as DW Frost DK (thnx god my fingers...)

So you watch out those things:
    Diseases must be up
    Obliterate when possible
    Convert your Blood runes to Death runes (Blood Strike)
    Use Pilar of Frost CD when avaliable
    KM = Frost Strike
    Rime = Howling Blast
    Spend your RP to Frost Strikes

Assuming that Diseases, Obliterate and FR spams are easy, the key to max out your dps is to spent Rime and KM procs as fast as it is possible (the faster you spent them the more they will proc)

With Ripe Procs you wont have to worry about your Frost Fever (i guess you allready have HB Glyph ofc)
    Last edited by zapa; 2010-10-20 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    You are obviously a subpar DK, the difference between doing 8-10k DPS in T10 level gear and doing 13-15k (this is without some silly 30% zone buff) is a rather small one. Rolling your face on the keyboard like some kinda Arcane Mage or Shadow Priest is not going to grant you top of the line DPS, far far from it.

You must pay very close attention to your runes and disease timers when to use Festering Strike and when not to based on what runes have popped and what are still on cooldown. As letting your DoTs drop off cause you have no unholy up but you could have used a Blood/Frost Festering is a bad choice and will cut your damage down. Also ghoul does great damage now even as Frost so making sure to pull him out on a free GCD is also a must. And finally if you playing 2H Frost you use Unholy Presence not Frost Presence.
    Haha, okay there bro. You obviously don't like being told that you're playing the faceroll spec of Cataclysm. Frost DKs are as bad as 3.0 Pallies. First rule of Internets is if you're going to call someone bad, make sure you know wtf you're talking about. If you're using Festering Strike as Frost you're doing it wrong. Festering Strike isn't even on ToT for one. And secondly, as long as you hit PS when you can before or slightly after it drops the new rune system compensates by A) Pooling your frost runes and B) Runic Empowerment is very likely to proc an Unholy rune.

It really is a braindead spec. It is REALLY is that hard to mess up. And if you're going to run around saying it is complicated, then maybe it is the right spec for you.

Forgot to add about your stats question:
    1. Hit = Expertise cap (reforge if you need)
    2. Str > Mastery > Haste > Crit
    So... You reforge crit to mastery and if there is no haste you reforge haste to mastery
    Last edited by zapa; 2010-10-20 at 04:29 PM. Reason: as Gerian corrected my typo

Quote Originally Posted by zapa View Post
    Forgot to add about your stats question:
    1. Hit = Expertise cap (reforge if you need)
    2. Str > Mastery > Crit > Haste
    So... You reforge haste to mastery and if there is no haste you reforge crit to mastery
    Crit is the lowest gain per stat point and should be reforged first, not haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerian View Post
    Crit is the lowest gain per stat point and should be reforged first, not haste.
    Typo! I fixed it, you are right

It depends, if you're GCD capped reforge haste until you get uncapped.

I thought I ended this thread with the 2nd post. There's nothing to discuss or argue about. Any arguments can be settled by simply following the link I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkit View Post
    I thought I ended this thread with the 2nd post. There's nothing to discuss or argue about. Any arguments can be settled by simply following the link I posted.
    There is often a lot of garbage on Elitist Jerks. And for the most part they're still trying to work things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeful_D View Post
    There is often a lot of garbage on Elitist Jerks. And for the most part they're still trying to work things out.
    Yeah sure. But this is written by Consider. Not garbage. Read it before you make judgments.