Best Mage PvE/PvP perks in 4.0.1?

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for some time, trying to get a question on my answer, but I can't decide on anything.

Which perks are the most useful for mages? I believe JC is mandatory: right now all we need is intelligence. And some extra intelligence from JC-special gems is unmatched by any other profession perks.

But what about the second profession? I believe that 4.0.1 buried any possible use of tailoring for mages (except from leveling and making money with ench+tail). Did the patch bring anything new to Enchanting perks? Because meh, 23+23 extra spell power kinda... sux. It's not worth it.
    So, the only option left is Engineering, right?

As you can see from my way of reasoning, I'm pretty much decided on JC+Eng. But for some reason I have doubts. Did anything change to Ench/Tailoring/Inscriber perks in 4.0.1? Are they any useful to mages right now?

Thanks in advance and sorry if all of this is written somewhere I didn't search yet. I honestly tried my best, and I must say that I'm a genuine newbie playing WoW for a month. I've just finished leveling JC to 450, going to use mining to collect some materials for an upcoming engineering leveling, and I need to be 100% sure that I'm dropping mining for Eng, not Ench/Tail/Insc.

I currently believe Engineering to be the best profession for all specs, beccause the Enchantments you get from this stack with normal enchants, i.e you can have Hyperspeed Accelerators and 28 Spell Power enchants on your gloves. Also, don't disregard tailoring, not sure on the new math, but before the patch it gave you the biggest Spell Power bonus (averaged out) amongst all the professions.

Well, true, but do we still need spell power? As of 4.0.1, mages don't even have spellpower anywhere but on weapons. Int is everything for mages now, and well... If these special chants are changed from giving SP to giving Int, it might be the case that they're useful now...

Everybody hates martyrdom, go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Well, true, but do we still need spell power? As of 4.0.1, mages don't even have spellpower anywhere but on weapons. Int is everything for mages now, and well... If these special chants are changed from giving SP to giving Int, it might be the case that they're useful now...
    It's not that we don't need SP now, we just don't get it the way we used to. Now we mostly get it from INT; it provides SP, mana, and a little bit of crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    Everybody hates martyrdom, go for that.
    I lol'd.

Painkiller's more annoying imo.

I'd say engineering and Herbalism, tbh. I'm not much of a PvE'r in this expansion(because wlk is faceroll), but I'm sure the hastebuff isn't entirely useless there either.

Engineering has always been fun, but it kind of sucks to level two professions without a gathering one early in an expansion. I suggest going JC/mining and then switching mining to either BS or engineering once you make asstons of money selling ore/gems and JC is maxed. You can also pre-mine mats for leveling your new profession.

Also yeah painkiller can eat a dick.
    Last edited by Skarrd; 2010-10-20 at 02:09 PM.

Engineering is and will be the best end-game raiding profession. even without any of the enchants -- Rocket Boots > ALL when that oh crap moment happens.

Also worth nothing Eng is very cheap and easy to power-level from 1-450 (I'd say around 3-4k tops if you keep track mabey 5-6k if you dont care and just dump everything).

Engineer/Herb

gloves + lifebloom or w/e it is, both give 240 haste each
    boots etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tailoring + Enchanting
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.