Thumbs up 4.0 Holy Reforge/gem/glyph ideas

So last night I logged onto about 10 different servers and asked the healadins from top end guilds what their thoughts were on reforging and gemming.
    To my surprise the majority stated that they were reforging their crit -> spirit and they were
    GEMMING:
    Red -> Int
    Yellow -> Int/haste
    Blue -> Int/Spirit
    A few pointed out that they were switching their T10 2 piece from Helm/Shoulders to Legs/Gloves (since both have spirit).

Here's my question to you: How do you plan on reforging/gemming?
    I'm not sure if the mastery is worth the sacrifice to other talents.
    I tried to reforge spirit on my gear last night and I wound up with the following:
    Spell Power: 3959
    Hit 736 (lol)
    Crit: 32.73%
    Haste: 967
    Mana Regen: 924

I'm a little worried about my crit since I'm used to seeing 40%, so I still want to test this out, but I'm very happy with where my mana regen is and where my haste/hit are.

GLYPHS:
    As for the glyphs, I've seen other posts, but I'm pretty certain that I'll be sticking with these glyphs:
    Prime:
    Divine Favor (increasing the duration by 10 seconds)
    Word of Glory (increases the healing done by wog by 10%)
    Seal of Insight (increases healing by 5%)

Major:
    Beacon of Light (increases duration by 30 seconds) ...I'm starting to think Divinity would be better for mana return. the 7.6 mana return (if cast on another player) would be huge. Beacon costs very little mana now.
    Divine Plea (5% extra mana return)
    Light of Dawn (decrease cooldown by 10 seconds/decrease healing by 20%)

Minor:
    Insight (reduce the mana cost of seal of insight by 50%)
    Lay on Hands (reduce cooldown of LoH by 2 mins)
    Blessing of Kings (reduce mana casting BoK)

One other thing I've noticed. A lot of healing meters I see show the palys are casting flash...a LOT.
    I still use divine light more. The reason: Flash is so fast, its very hard to cancel cast (which saves mana). The only reason (I think) they're getting away with flashing so much is because the dps is so ridiculously high that boss encounters don't last long. For longer fights like H Sindy or H LK - I think it's VERY important to cast Divine Light in order to cancel cast if need be (I can't stress again how important this is for mana regen). Plus DL hits for a lot more than FoL.
    Anywho, these are my thoughts on where we currently stand with the latest updates. Let me know what you guys think.
    If you want my armory, it can be found here: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...la&cn=Mcbubble
    Thx!

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason we want to use Flash of Light is because there are some times when there simply isn't TIME for a Divine Light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

I wasn't looking for a reason why we're using FoL, I understand its useful - quick and strong.
    Was wondering why I see so many healadins using ONLY that (no Divine Light).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    I wasn't looking for a reason why we're using FoL, I understand its useful - quick and strong.
    I think it is mainly people who haven't adapted then. Divine Light is amazing.

The thing is that in terms of HPS - Divine Light (with Speed of Light) > Flash of Light > Divine Light (without Speed of Light) > Word of Glory/Holy Shock > Holy Light.

(Note - not solid math, just personal testing/observations, I could be wrong)
    Edit: Explained better below.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-10-21 at 08:12 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

As gems and glyphs were covered by the OP, i'd like to talk about the enchants a bit:

Head, shoulders, cloak, gloves: same enchant as before
    Chest: new best enchant 10 stats
    Legs: new best enchant 50 SP 20 spirit
    Bracers: new best enchant 30 SP
    Weapon: new best enchant 63 SP (you could argue it was best before patch)
    Boots: Some bads might pick up 18 spirit, ignore them, best enchant is still 15 stam + 8% speed.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I think it is mainly people who haven't adapted then. Divine Light is amazing.

The thing is that in terms of HPS - Divine Light (with Speed of Light) > Flash of Light > Divine Light (without Speed of Light) > Word of Glory/Holy Shock > Holy Light.

(Note - not solid math, just personal testing/observations, I could be wrong)

This leads me to believe that this is the most optimal rotation for healing:
    Holy Shock (only for Speed of Light)
    Divine Light
    Flash of Light
    Flash of Light
    (Optional extra Flash of Light depending on haste)
    Holy Shock
    Repeat

If you get a Daybreak proc, alter it to
    Divine Light
    Divine Light
    Flash of Light
    Flash of Light
    (Optional extra Flash of Light depending on haste)
    Holy Shock
    Repeat

This is at least how I've been doing it and I've been doing pretty dang well.
    i dont get it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    i dont get it
    I guess I should clarify.

Imagine there is a boss where he has an aura that brings the raid to 10% of their max hp every other second, basically Decimate in aura form. Additionally, this boss will pick a member of the raid at random and do 25% of their max hp in damage every other second.

In a fight like that (and many other fights - I remember how much of a pain Hodir was to 2-heal with Holy Paladins when it was current content), finding an optimal 'rotation' for raid healing is important.

In Wrath, the 'rotation' was: Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, etc.

In 4.0.1 at level 80, I'm saying that I think the 'rotation' will be: Holy Shock, Divine Light, Flash of Light, Flash of Light, (Optional extra Flash of Light), Holy Shock, etc.

If the tank is at 15% HP and I should ideally cast a Divine Light next, will I stop to Lay On Hands him or Holy Shock him? Of course.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-10-21 at 06:40 AM. Reason: The previous post I was referencing was removed, so I redid this post

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Imagine there is a boss where he has an aura that brings the raid to 10% of their max hp every other second, basically Decimate in aura form. Additionally, this boss will pick a member of the raid at random and do 25% of their max hp in damage every other second.

In a fight like that (and many other fights - I remember how much of a pain Hodir was to 2-heal with Holy Paladins when it was current content), finding an optimal 'rotation' for raid healing is important.

In Wrath, the 'rotation' was: Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, Holy Light, etc.

In 4.0.1 at level 80, I'm saying that I think the 'rotation' will be: Holy Shock, Divine Light, Flash of Light, Flash of Light, (Optional extra Flash of Light), Holy Shock, etc.

If the tank is at 15% HP and I should ideally cast a Divine Light next, will I stop to Lay On Hands him or Holy Shock him? Of course.
    That's cool I guess my constructive criticism was interrupted as flaming, I will make a mental not not use the word "retard or retarded" loosely on these forums.

Onto your point again you stated a rotation, there is no rotation, kind of a priority system but none the least, no rotation. Yes, you can use a FoL as a filler but totally dependent on X and Y factors, Ideally when there is sharp spiky damage and you know that their is addition incoming damage if they are not topped or healed up from their current health, a.k.a Infest or ooze explosions when there isn't a slow on the green ooze. I also find it interesting that in your "rotation" that you aren't including or mentioning the usage of HL when you get an infusion proc, yes it doesn't heal for that much but a .4 second HL or .7. is quite useful.
    Twitch.tv/datmodz

Live Hardmode raids from multiple perspectives, Rated Battlegrounds(Hero of the Alliance) and Arenas from a multi-time Gladiator!

15+ Year Old Account

yea i wouldn't call it a rotation since healing is more reactionary its more of priority.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasadya View Post
    I also find it interesting that in your "rotation" that you aren't including or mentioning the usage of HL when you get an infusion proc, yes it doesn't heal for that much but a .4 second HL or .7. is quite useful.
    Yeah, the issue with that is that it is under the GCD. So, an Infusion-of-Light-procced Holy Light is an exceptionally fast cast, which can be a nice clutch heal if you don't have enough Holy Power to Word of Glory for much and your Holy Shock is on cooldown, but it still triggers the global cooldown.

The net effect is that any cast time under 1.5 seconds (or 1.2 or 1.3 or whatever depending on haste) is still effectively a 1.5 second 'cast' because you can't cast any other spells until your GCD is up. So, if you're going to cast a 1.5 second spell, why not cast Flash of Light instead?

I do imagine that this will be a lot more helpful at 85, when our haste levels aren't crazy out of control.

As for the whole rotation thing... I agree with you. I don't think it is something that healers should have to worry about, but I think Blizzard is trying to make us worry about it. Holy Power (and mana) mattering so much at 85 means we have to Holy Shock on cooldown, and spam moves that can give us Daybreak procs in the gaps. Obviously, these moves will vary, but still think if we look at level 85 healing a year from now, everyone will be doing Holy Shock, other heal, other heal, other heal, Holy Shock. Similarly, at 80, Speed of Light is incredible for helping Divine Light's otherwise slow cast time.

I don't think you have to worry about this for cata. In the beta you run out of mana in seconds with FoL spam.
    I have a feeling alot of bad players , and tbh good players, are gonna have a hard time of healing HCs when Cata drops
    So intestead of spamming FoL start using all your spells so the learning curve won't be as steep.

Cause I have no life, and I like it

one of the reasons people are still using FoL (effective pre 4.0 HL) is because the tanks can currently get smashed down by the heavy hitters in 2-3 seconds.
    this will change a lot in cata as it employs much more "you fucked up you die" mechanics rather than just hitting things harder and faster as you see it now

I can't see divine light having much of a use in current raid content due to it's slow speed even with 1k+ haste & speed of light. It can be used before a pull for the absorb shield but for heroic icc 25 i just can't picture in-combat use that is really effective (maybe sindragosa as she lands from air phase). Not really including Valithira Dreamwalker, btw, just the more difficult fights.

Obviously 85 will be different, just that right now DL kind of sits on the sideline in favor of flash of light for sticky scenarios in which you don't really have more then 2 seconds to resolve as a healer, such as LK, Fester, Putricide and Saurfang.

Just what I've seen, and what I've heard from asking around.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2010-10-22 at 06:52 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    The reason and answer I cast more FL then I cast DL have you already answered... with the kind of mana I have now, I find it hard to get rid of it before the boss is dead (kinda)... And I still see tanks getting instagibbed so I see no reason today to not cast flash before I cast divine light...
    And I do exercise alot of restraint, so in my guess I have taken in the new healing model, it just hasnt starting showing it's true self yet.

A flash from my gear hits for shitloads and I bet yours is going to hit even harder.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajer View Post
    The reason and answer I cast more FL then I cast DL have you already answered... with the kind of mana I have now, I find it hard to get rid of it before the boss is dead (kinda)... And I still see tanks getting instagibbed so I see no reason today to not cast flash before I cast divine light...
    And I do exercise alot of restraint, so in my guess I have taken in the new healing model, it just hasnt starting showing it's true self yet.

A flash from my gear hits for shitloads and I bet yours is going to hit even harder.
    Flash for me is a 1.2 sec cast at an average of 12k hit and an 18k crit.

Divine Light is a 2 sec cast (without Speed of Light) at an average of an 18k hit and a 28k crit.

(both tests without any buffs at all)

Considering that Flash of Light is already at the GCD, there is no purpose in using Speed of Light on it.

A Divine Light with a Speed of Light proc takes 0.3 seconds longer (only 1.5 seconds total) to cast than Flash of Light and heals for 6k more on a hit and 10k more on a crit.

Divine Light with Speed of Light > Flash of Light > Divine Light
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-10-22 at 07:53 AM.

Divine Light with Speed of Light > Flash of Light > Divine Light
    There'll be no more speed of light next patch (at least no 30% haste buff) - I wouldn't adapt too much to using it. Apart from it Infusion of light will shorten the casttime of DL and HL by 1,5 seconds - making them <1sec casts. So casting a heal (DL) that is stronger than another (FoL) is a natural choice.

All in all I would always use the shorter heal not the more powerful. As it stands FoL hits for enough in just the right time.

I've been healing 10 mans and divine light is definitely useful in a two healer situation. In 25 mans there are so many healers sniping heals that fol is obviously the best. I have been divine lighting and stop cast when its going to overheal. This seems to work for 10 mans. I see uses for all our heals except lod which is just on too long a cooldown.