Thread: Impact on DR

Impact on DR

Hey

Wonder if anyone can confirm, been doing HC LK and using Impact seems to make the valks go stun immune. Was using it on Tuesday on LK to spread dots, but also if I got a second proc during their flight to re-spread dots. We were having problems with them going immune pretty much after the initial stun.

RL yesterday he spotted some forum posts that Impact and a few other ''random stun procs'' were on the DR. Anyone know anything about this for Impact specifically?

Running last night without impact and there were no stun problems.

Update:

Looking at Raid Discussions, seems all stuns are on the DR now as part of a PvP change?
    Last edited by TruffleMuffin; 2010-10-21 at 09:28 AM.

Can't you use stick to using Impact on LK, that way you don't stun anybody and the dots are all over?:P Or does the stun spread aswell?

I myself haven't had this problem om valks tho, so can't come up with anyfacts on that

Impact is a stun and every stun shares DR. This gives some problems on LK HC, but just spread your dots from LK as you do when they spawn, and then start nuking your target if you split up dps. If the Valkyrs are real close to the edge, and you've got Impact procced, you should cast it anyway since the DR might have worn off and 2 sec is better than nothing :>

Leave the stun for thoose pesky rogue and hit Butan with fireball MOAR!!

On a more serious note, yeah the stuns share DR and personally we got rogues and paladins to do that part on valcs, since their stuns last longer. Since impact only affects mobs within close range of your main target, theres no real reason to use it on valcs except if everything is about to go tits up and you might be able to save someone at the edge.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duticyaa View Post
    Impact is a stun and every stun shares DR. This gives some problems on LK HC, but just spread your dots from LK as you do when they spawn, and then start nuking your target if you split up dps. If the Valkyrs are real close to the edge, and you've got Impact procced, you should cast it anyway since the DR might have worn off and 2 sec is better than nothing :>
    Bzzzt, wrong. There are different categories of spells all falling under different DRs. Impact is a random stun, which shares DRs with other random stuns...of which there is only one: impact. All other stuns are controlled stuns which do NOT share DR with impact.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Bzzzt, wrong. There are different categories of spells all falling under different DRs. Impact is a random stun, which shares DRs with other random stuns...of which there is only one: impact. All other stuns are controlled stuns which do NOT share DR with impact.
    I know that's supposed to be the case. Trying to find out if the stupid thing is bugged or not. Problem is, hard to tell either way.

Impact stun is not random anymore D:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TruffleMuffin View Post
    I know that's supposed to be the case. Trying to find out if the stupid thing is bugged or not. Problem is, hard to tell either way.
    It wasn't last I tested, and it has been categorized in its own separate stun school since....well, as long as I remember. Don't think they went back and bugged a mechanic older than wrath with one patch. In all fairness though, you should only use impact once per valk phase to transfer DoTs from LK to them.

---------- Post added 2010-10-21 at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duticyaa View Post
    Impact stun is not random anymore D:
    It is since it's a low chance to proc. Controlled stuns are abilities with stuns built in: intercept, kidney shot, hammer of justice, shockwave, holy wrath, stuff like that. Impact is so far the only proc stun that was able to stay in the game. Skillherald is irrelevant, mace stun was removed at the end of TBC, and I believe spriests had a proc stun mechanic also.
    BfA Beta Time

It is since it's a low chance to proc. Controlled stuns are abilities with stuns built in: intercept, kidney shot, hammer of justice, shockwave, holy wrath, stuff like that. Impact is so far the only proc stun that was able to stay in the game. Skillherald is irrelevant, mace stun was removed at the end of TBC, and I believe spriests had a proc stun mechanic also.
    Yeh they did - identical to old impact except it lasted for 3 secs instead of 2 and it was caused by shadow spells ofc.

Didn't know that Impact was considered random tho, since they changed it to proc from your next fire blast. Maybe Blizzard did something to force it to share DR with other stuns on val'kyrs only, since it would be pretty good with additional stuns on the val'kyrs, and would almost force guilds progressing on LK heroic to bring at least 3 fire mages.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just look at the proc rate on Impact, it's 10% on damaging SPELLS, so there's only a handful that actually proc it: fireball, scorch, pyroblast, living bomb explosion, initial combustion hit, and the AoE abilities. It doesn't proc off of DoTs and since it's a proc it retains its special category of DRs (I think it's the same with kidney or cheap shot). I've gone a full minute chain casting without a single impact proc, so it's hardly the most reliable thing out there and the stun DRs with itself and is very short, so you're really only adding 3 seconds of down time at the cost of 3 seconds of GCD.
    BfA Beta Time

Just look at the proc rate on Impact, it's 10% on damaging SPELLS, so there's only a handful that actually proc it: fireball, scorch, pyroblast, living bomb explosion, initial combustion hit, and the AoE abilities. It doesn't proc off of DoTs and since it's a proc it retains its special category of DRs (I think it's the same with kidney or cheap shot). I've gone a full minute chain casting without a single impact proc, so it's hardly the most reliable thing out there and the stun DRs with itself and is very short, so you're really only adding 3 seconds of down time at the cost of 3 seconds of GCD.
    Kidney is under controlled stuns while Cheap Shot has always had a different category that I imagine impact is now a part of, though I can't be sure as I haven't tested it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess just get a paladin friend with you and go to a dummy no one is attacking. Wait for impact to proc, cast fireblast, let the stun wear off, and have the pali use HoJ. If the duration is cut in half, then impact put it on DR. If not, then you're golden.

Also, make damn sure it's a dummy no one else is attacking, otherwise the likelihood of it being on DR increases with impact playing no role.
    BfA Beta Time

Either way, just spread dots from LK at the start, then dont use impact again until after your raid as exhausted all of it's stuns on them? Seems simple enough. If the valkyr don't get that far, then...good, who cares because the boss died.

Yeah, we got him down last night (finally, woot). But my concern was with that first Impact applying the stun to the targets the dots spread to. We were having real trouble with DR which was solved last night by everyone not using passive stuns. Perhaps I will re-spec into it and try again next week to see if we have similar problems.

Thanks for the help.

Deleted
    I used impact from the beggining of the fight, the dots spreading wasnt great enough to take them off the tank that the ghouls were swarmed around

I guess just get a paladin friend with you and go to a dummy no one is attacking. Wait for impact to proc, cast fireblast, let the stun wear off, and have the pali use HoJ. If the duration is cut in half, then impact put it on DR. If not, then you're golden.

Also, make damn sure it's a dummy no one else is attacking, otherwise the likelihood of it being on DR increases with impact playing no role.
    Didn't they mention something about reducing the power of Rogue's Stunlock by putting their opening stun on the same DR as their other stuns? They could have changed it in the patch to simply have all stuns share DR now.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Didn't they mention something about reducing the power of Rogue's Stunlock by putting their opening stun on the same DR as their other stuns? They could have changed it in the patch to simply have all stuns share DR now.
    I can say from playing my rogue that this isn't the case. Cheap Shot has yet to reduce the duration of a 5 point Kidney.

---------- Post added 2010-10-22 at 01:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TruffleMuffin View Post
    Yeah, we got him down last night (finally, woot). But my concern was with that first Impact applying the stun to the targets the dots spread to. We were having real trouble with DR which was solved last night by everyone not using passive stuns. Perhaps I will re-spec into it and try again next week to see if we have similar problems.

Thanks for the help.
    The impact debuff isn't a DoT and doesn't spread from the initial target because it is applied post hit, fractions after the DoT spread occurs. Also, if you use it on LK, he will be immune and the debuff won't even be present, so again no worries.
    BfA Beta Time

Sorry, they changed the Diminishing Returns between Cheap Shot and Kidney Shot, I just got a bit mixed up with them.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.