Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The greatest scenario is when your guild leader does it to you!

At the beginning of WotLK I was playing a paladin tank, and I was in a Heroic AN group entirely composed of guildies. The guild leader was playing a resto druid, but along the way he was collecting some tanking gear where he could, for the rationale that in the event that he had to fill in as a tank he could respec.

Essence of Gossamer drops, and he needs and wins it. Of course, he never ends up actually speccing tanking for launch raiding content ever.

K these are my problems with the OP one he named and shamed something you arnt allowed to do. THEN he went on to make himself feel good about kicking a dps, your on your alt and he rolls need sweet deal people have leveled naked, leveling items dont mean anything really. Next you then talked about the justice the person got for being kicked in a Heroic VH, im sure his life was ruined while yours was made. I have ninjaed every now and then never, when it was a 25man ICC when a 277 DBW drops but if im at the end of a random Heroic and blue piece of healing gear drops that nobody actully needs hey i use plate oops misclick i get 8g.

Am i terrible person No. =D
    A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

If you really look at it, the only Repercussion of Ninja looting is finding a great guild. You may find one on another toon, just not that one, unless you server transfer.
    To Be Honest, There is absolutely zero consequences for Ninja-ing. Trade talks smack, done in a few hours, people move on.

I literally hate the action, but no use to Cry over Spilled Milk if no one cares to do anything about it. Especially the if the person who owns the House(Blizzard) could care less. Then again, it's too much work to investigate say a Drake ninja.
    It's how it is.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    when do we get to the ninjalooting?

rolling need on something he aint in the curent ROLE for but is otherwise capable of using, is NOT ninjalooting..

and its certainly not when its a pathetic pug run with randoms in a 5man dungeon/heroic.

LOL

you sir, is fail
    Actually, if he has no intention of using it, it is ninja-looting. And even needing on a green world drop you don't need is ninja looting. The size of the group or quality of the drop doesn't change anything.

If what you mean is, your care-factor for ninja looting is set at a much higher threshold (eg, the epic drops that you want) that's fine. But don't call OTHER people "fail" for not understanding a concept that you clearly don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    Well who here hasn't ninjaed an item once in their life? yeah everyones gonna do it sometime its just when people constantly do it that you get a bad rep
    I'd master looted an Ashes of Al'ar and two Grand Black War Mammoths to other players (one of the Mammoths actually went to one of the worst balance druids I've ever seen, his 1500 DPS still makes me cringe).

Not everyone is selfish.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I'm not sure I'd consider what the DPS did as ninja looting, per se. But IMHO it was a dbag move on his part. *And deep down you all know it.* I doubt anyone here wouldn't have gotten annoyed at the DPS if it was you tanking that run.

On a related note, the guy who said he needs everything so he can shard it .. you, fine sir/ma'am, are reprehensible. I pray I never find myself in one of your groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxTheWrecker View Post
    To Be Honest, There is absolutely zero consequences for Ninja-ing. Trade talks smack, done in a few hours, people move on.
    The consequences of ninja looting are much more subtle, and very analogous to the consequences of being a horrible person in real life.

Most of the time you probably do benefit from cheating and swindling other people, by ninja looting and also in real life, with very little to no consequence. The real consequence comes out of slowly habituating that behavior.

If you're always trying to get one over on other people unethically, then you will probably eventually drive yourself to misery. You're likely going to always be suspecting the same behavior from other people. You're going to have a hard time establishing functional relationships with other people.

In the end, yes, you probably will have scored a net benefit as far as "things" go, versus the direct consequences of having been terrible, but I think most likely you will have forsaken what is good and satisfying in your life by being a scumbag.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe how many people fail to see the point of the OP. It has nothing to do with whether the item was green, blue or purple. It doesn't matter if you're in your first dungeon at level 15 or running heroics for the 50th time. Needing on gear that you're not going to use for that character, with that spec, is a douche move.

I can't understand why people think it's okay just because it's a video game. Common courtesy still applies...

---------- Post added 2010-10-22 at 01:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    People have multiple specs, people also queue under different rolls and let the LFG choose which one they'll be using.
    I can guarantee if he queued for both tank and dps, he would have been chosen as a tank. Do you even use the RDF? You're always waiting on a tank.

If he wanted the tanking cloak, he should have queued as tank - which I'm positive he did not.

I'm pretty sure that Ninja-looting requires someone in the raid/party to be Master Looter. You used the LFG tool, accepted the Need Before Greed loot rules, and then lost the role on an item that another character is perfectly capable of using and otherwise eligible to roll need on.

Think of it this way: Some of us like tanking because we prefer the role. Others just want to play and don't have time to sit in queue for 30 minutes, then run the dungeon; so we level tank alts (or DKs for whatever reason) to get our wow-fix. Maybe that DK has tried tanking and regardless of skill, he just doesn't have the character-sheet to allow for it. Now he does, now he won't get booted from groups for failing, and now my 30 minute queue wait just dropped to 29 because we have one more confident tank queuing up.

Or you could avoid playing with that crowd (the crowd that rolls need on inconsequential items) altogether by questing and/or running with a full party of guildies. Remember with Cataclysm comes Guild Achievements/Guild Rep/Guild Rewards, so you may as well get used to gaming with them anyway, if any of that is of any worth to you.
    "Well, Qbn, your statements don't really say much, and they are pretty confusing..."

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have kicked him for his name alone.

OT: Hell of a lot of trolling in this thread. It's not the loot that matters, it's the mindset.

If someone ninjas a level 50 blue, what's to stop them from ninja looting your first epic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Ninja-looting requires someone in the raid/party to be Master Looter. You used the LFG tool, accepted the Need Before Greed loot rules, and then lost the role on an item that another character is perfectly capable of using and otherwise eligible to roll need on.
    That is the definition as set out as being necessary for Blizzard to take action. The term was around long before Blizzard finally started taking a stand on it in raid situations, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weed View Post
    Crying over a lvl ~62 loot? QQ Moar.
    In b4 ban for naming and shaming.
    With 6 posts, I doubt he cares.

Quote Originally Posted by tamlus View Post
    K these are my problems with the OP one he named and shamed something you arnt allowed to do. THEN he went on to make himself feel good about kicking a dps, your on your alt and he rolls need sweet deal people have leveled naked, leveling items dont mean anything really. Next you then talked about the justice the person got for being kicked in a Heroic VH, im sure his life was ruined while yours was made. I have ninjaed every now and then never, when it was a 25man ICC when a 277 DBW drops but if im at the end of a random Heroic and blue piece of healing gear drops that nobody actully needs hey i use plate oops misclick i get 8g.

Am i terrible person No. =D
    You steal from others. The amount is irrelevant. That you don't feel bad about yourself is almost worse.

Out of curiosity, just how much do you have to steal from someone else before it begins to bother you?

Only ONCE in my multitude of LFD tool usage, have I ever got slotted as a dps when I que'd for tank and dps. EVER.

ALL THE PPL ABOVE THIS POST WHO HAVE SOMETHING NEGETIVE TO SAY TO THE OP ARE EITHER NINJA'S OR MINDLESS, INCONSIDERATE DOUCHEBAGS WHO SHOULD DO THE WORLD A FAVOUR AND QUITE LIFE.

They are actually supporting ninja-looters, who take the rewards for your time and effort away. These ppl, in a sense, support thieveing in general, yes these are your future employees, employers and companies you are going to be doing biz with in real life, are you as excited about that as I am?

And, as a side note, for the 'oh noes pixels!' brigade: Pixels...your paycheck, goods and services, it's all the same, if it wasn't, then why do millions pay Blizz to play with pixels?
    Your arguement of pixels oh noes shows that you just can't understand anything in life that's not tangable AND MORE LIKELY if it dosen't happen to you, it dosen't happen.
    I hope, no, I PRAY that each and every one of you twits in the oh noes pixels brigade gets ninja'd out of something you have been striveing for. So that you may hang up your president of the retard association jacket once and for all.
    YAH, I'm mad bro. I'm mad as hell you asshats keep cosigning ninjalooters bullshit, you MAKE it ok with your shit additude.
    I seriously can't wait to see one of you shitheads piss and moan up and down the forum when YOU get ninja'd...I promise baby, I'll be right there...just to tell you "oh noes pixels!..........umadbro?"
    Have a swell day
    dipshits.

Normally I need on items for my other specc if the person playing that role in the party doesn't need on it. It's just fair. Rolling on the healing shield with low droprate the resto shaman wants, while tanking or dpsing, is seriously bad manner. When people do that to me, I always check their armory to check if they have a second specc for that role. If they do, I always accept that not everyone plays by the same rules, or have the same view of what's fair. If they need it, and intend to use it, it's good enough for me.

When the person doesn't have a second specc for that role, or at all, I always try to vote a kick. Usually it's unsuccessful, but for the remainder of the run, I'll need on everything he will, and if someone else needs on it, I'll trade it to that person if I don't need it myself. Justice is a matter of how you look at it, I normally adapt mine to the others rules in order for them to better understand that they did wrong, and see the error of their ways. If I have gotten through to just one person to stop misbehaving over all of my years in WoW, that's good enough for me. And no, I don't cry myself to sleep over a ninjaed item. That's not really their faults. They're just the product of their upbringing. I for one was brought up right. It can't be easy to not have been, if anything I feel sorry for the ninjalooters.

And I too have ML'ed items I've sought after for a long time to others, and sometimes they've been extremely poor players, simply because they won the roll and I didn't. Fair is fair, and we all play by our own morale codes.

Also a point about the OP's post, people seem to fail to understand that it's not just the one time the ninjalooter got kicked. It's not like he'll be imune from getting kicked from groups in the future if he missbehaves. Or getting ninjaed back. Or healer letting him die because of his lack of morality. Or tank not taunting mobs off of him. There are as many ways of payback as there are (people with different types of) morale codes.

Self entitlement has lead to the over-exaggeration of what "NINJA LOOTING" is.

No ninja here.

Next?

When I Read the name Sephiroth, I LOL'ed IRL. Not sure if it's the same person but there's a fail DK ninja looter on Blade's Edge US that everyone hates. Could be the same person. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    The consequences of ninja looting are much more subtle, and very analogous to the consequences of being a horrible person in real life.

Most of the time you probably do benefit from cheating and swindling other people, by ninja looting and also in real life, with very little to no consequence. The real consequence comes out of slowly habituating that behavior.

If you're always trying to get one over on other people unethically, then you will probably eventually drive yourself to misery. You're likely going to always be suspecting the same behavior from other people. You're going to have a hard time establishing functional relationships with other people.

In the end, yes, you probably will have scored a net benefit as far as "things" go, versus the direct consequences of having been terrible, but I think most likely you will have forsaken what is good and satisfying in your life by being a scumbag.
    I definitely agree with that, but they don't and can't see it. In a sense, their horrible behavior and lack of Integrity at this level is one of those things that many people have. I've worked almost everywhere, and I'm only 24. I've seen some Low-bitting actions that can shock some people, and they go scott-free. You can argue up and down that due to their poor character that this can cause a downfall in their life, big enough to say change them. In Most cases, It doesn't. It's ignored and they go through life being like this, ripping off whatever they can OR; just have a lack of real character, continue to ruin experiences for people, and never suffer the real consequences that truly reveal their behavior. Keep in mind, roughly 1:1,000 see their character and change it for the better. It steadily grows to 1:5,000 as years go on. As you continue to experience life and see everything is around you, you'll realize more and more that many people are Rotten. Then again, it depends on where you live.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    No its not.

I often tank or heal on alts, who may be buildign dps specs. Now if I can queue as tank/healer I get faster instances, but so does everyone else as thats anotehr tank/healer for the thousands of dps in teh queue. But I will want to roll on dps gear, and I have no issues with dps rolling on tank/healing gear they can use, because if they do its shorter queues for everyone. Besides in LFG instances you'll get that gear eventually, usually pretty soon. Any gear worth arguing over (and theres not much as its only a game) should have ML on anyway.

If I'm not allowed to roll on dps gear when i tank/heal, I'll have to queue as dps. Oh look, you just made everyones queues longer than they are now due to less tanks/healers.
    In the scenario you've described I sincerely doubt anyone in the group would mind if you simply said "FYI: I'll tank this but I'm here for DPS gear." Similarly if the DPS in the OPs case had said "FYI: I'm dps'ing this but I'm here for tank gear" I'm sure no one would have minded at all.

Also, yes, if you're tanking and you need on dps gear over a dps in the group who needs it you're acting like a dbag.

Go to Mal'ganis where ninjas are e-famous and continually get groups since a new transfer goes there every second. #1 Server!