Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Water elemental, with a name?

Good evening folks.
    for the first 5 years I spent playing WoW, I played as a hunter. Yes, a Night Elf hunter.
    Now, one of the things I loved about them was how you could personalise even your pet by giving it a unique name. All be it you had to mouse over it's frame, click and select "rename". But as someone who types far too fast, I used I suppose you could call it a macro- in order to rename the plethora of pets I'd collected. This "Macro" was
    /run PetRename("Insert name here")
    What does this have to do with mages? Well in the current patch, it appears as if Water Elementals (now being permanent) are classed as pets, meaning they can be renamed in such a way using said macro.

I'm not sure whether this is intended, or in fact a bug that is going to be fixed.

You can only do this once! No other methods appear to work for renaming (respeccing, etc).
    On another note. If it doesn't work, try dismissing the pet and resummoning it. Or a relog.

Edit: Doesn't work with Warlock pets, as they are classed as minions. Does not work with Death Knight ghouls.
    Last edited by Shiny; 2010-10-22 at 05:47 PM.

Shinydemon(85) Kuricos(85) Akros(85) Seraphus(81) Ritsura(85) Anathama(85) Arelia(85) Aaurala(66) Solanáa(49) Myasma(60)

Deleted
    I just checked this on my mage, it worked. My Elemental is now called Waterboi

mrbubble
    the most filthy thing ive ever seen in game was.
    a beastmaster and feral drood in a arena team,
    they won by making love to each other.

Hurray mines called Bubbles now

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Good sir, you have made my day. Thanks! The elementals on beta are named RandomPetName and I was hoping there'd be some form of renaming ability. When 4.0.1 hit live and they retained just Water Elemental, I was quite disappointed.

o hawt damn. mine is now "Squirt" but will probably change to Tribane or Quadbane (my mage friend is named Tribane :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Good sir, you have made my day. Thanks! The elementals on beta are named RandomPetName and I was hoping there'd be some form of renaming ability. When 4.0.1 hit live and they retained just Water Elemental, I was quite disappointed.
    Glad I could make some people happy! ^^
    I'm not on beta. but when I played PTR before patch 4.0.1 went live, my elemental was called RandomPetName too. My brother's wasn't though... strange

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    o hawt damn. mine is now "Squirt" but will probably change to Tribane or Quadbane (my mage friend is named Tribane :P)
    Not sure if you can rename it. I get a red message of "That pet cannot be renamed." Probably will be able to after a log out/alt+f4/general game quit.

Shinydemon(85) Kuricos(85) Akros(85) Seraphus(81) Ritsura(85) Anathama(85) Arelia(85) Aaurala(66) Solanáa(49) Myasma(60)

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    OMG I love you!!!!!!!

Yeah I got the can't rename message, wondering if there's a CD (didn't there used to be one for hunters? not sure if there still is or not now).

I'll test it out on my lock and DK and get back to you

EDIT: does not work on Lock minions or UH DK ghoul
    Last edited by Potato Bus; 2010-10-21 at 11:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    can only use it once.
    choose wisely.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dabros View Post
    can only use it once.
    choose wisely.
    lol
    mine is Bubbles :O

I did not choose very wisely. I'd be surprised if a respec didn't allow re-renames though, given that you don't have a pet anymore after you drop all of your talents.

And now that Blizz knows about it, it'll get taken away, just like the old PetAbandon script-bug that allowed warlocks to resummon-rename demons was.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

10+ Year Old Account
    I named mine Squirtle

Deleted
    Waterloo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    I did not choose very wisely. I'd be surprised if a respec didn't allow re-renames though, given that you don't have a pet anymore after you drop all of your talents.
    Hopefully respeccing will give you the option to rename it again, for those who didn't choose their name too wisely, will test tomorrow after work if I'm not beaten to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    And now that Blizz knows about it, it'll get taken away, just like the old PetAbandon script-bug that allowed warlocks to resummon-rename demons was.
    As much as I'm sure Blizzard checks these forums regularly(/end sarcasm), unfortunately, this'll probably be the case once they're informed of it by someone.

Edit: just a thought, but there's that certificate that allows hunters to rename their pet, wondering if that works... I'll test after work tomorrow, unless someone's willing to test it of course.

lol this is awesome thx for shareing =3

Can you use two capitals? For example could you use "FireElement" or would it come out as "Fireelement"?

Thanks if anyone knows ^^
    Each time you think about giving Paladins the ability to duel wield, god kills a kitten in each of the parallel universes. Twice.

Can't get it to work. All I get is the error msg. I copied the macro exactly and put the new name between the quotes...but nothing. Any help would be appreciated