A Good Hero Class Idea

Okay we've probably got quite a few of these threads already but here is a Hero class idea that I promise does not suck. We have tanks and healers, four of each to choose from. Hybrids are kind of a pain in the ass to figure out. So instead of dealing with that with a new hero class why not have them be straight damage across the board? Now here's the tricky part - how do you distinguish their role? We have melee (Rogue), ranged physical (hunter), and caster (Mage and Warlock). The answer is have all three in one! The Black Dragons will have to be relevant to the story going forward and the best way to implement them is teaching mortals how to become Dragonsworn.

Let me explain: Cataclysm is going to be about facing and defeating Deathwing. He is the Black Dragon Aspect and, therefore, is in charge of the dragonflight. What happens when he's taken down? There will be some who are still loyal to his insanity but others who want to take up the mantle with honor. Dragonsworn are people taught by those dragons who takes up that mantle. Easy enough.

Hero Class Name: Dragonsworn
    Level: 55-58
    Race: Any race
    Armor Class: cloth (new type - agi cloth)
    Unique Resource: Draconic Fury
    - abilities and rotations fill up the bar in three parts. Once the thirds are full your spec's distinct form is unlocked, allowing a Metamorphosis style ass kicking to take over. Abilities are designated as opener, followup, and finisher. Finishers lead to form proc. Form proc = you're all dead.
    Talent Trees:
    - Obliteration: melee focused on 2h staffs and polearms granting agi. Form is a hulkier humanoid-dragon with a really big sword-polearm.
    - Upheaval: caster damage using nature and fire damage, with magma attacks using both at once. Form is svelte Alexstrazsa/Ysera style form with a really bad ass staff. Int cloth for damage with caster staffs or daggers/offhand.
    - *Searing: ranged physical damage done by bow or crossbow with fire arrow enchantments providing different bonuses. Form is a dragon-humanoid creature with pretty big dark angel wings shooting flaming tendrils in various amounts from the targeted to copious AoE sprays. Agi cloth provides damage.
    *Assumes Blizzard finds out a way that they can switch ranged weapons into 2h weapons and have a 1h melee weapon or relic be equipped as former ranged spot for both Earthwarden and Hunters.

Anyone who has played Demonology knows that Metamorphosis style cooldowns feel epic. Why not have a whole class built on that? The countdown effect of 3, 2, 1 YOU'RE ALL DEAD! would be very fun to play.

Story: You start as a Twilight's Hammer cultist who is sent on a very dangerous mission to take out a "Heretic," a black dragon who is not following Deathwing's command. You're given warrior abilities, some snazzy TH armor, and the whole feel of the fight is like a bunch of level ones taking on Hogger with funnies inserted as your TH buddies scream in agony as they are oneshotted. Of course it feels a bit more epic since Blizz does know how to make it that way. The fight plays out cool though because despite your lack of training, you hold your own against the Dragon, who you take down to half HP before it stops the fight. The unnamed dragon decides amusedly to call him/herself Heretic, questions your intelligence but not your soul and decides to spare your life if you are ready to begin a new journey. You don't have much of a choice and agree, with Heretic showing you the brutal path of the Dragonsworn. Great cutscene with your agony and determination showing as you meld dragon blood with your own without dying. As part of your training you help wipe out Twilight's Hammer in key areas in the Old World in your own personal phasing areas with other Dragonsworn lowbies, such as Silithus, Ahn'Qiraj, Wetlands, Twilight Highlands, etc. Heretic, wanting to avoid unnecessary discovery, gives you a device that allows you to teleport to his hiding place in Blackrock mountain (he's not Nefarian), protected by his Dragonsworn elite guard. This instanced area is like Acherus. This happens because you and this dragon narrowly escape being completely obliterated by Deathwing who is looking for the rumored 'draconic mortals' causing TH problems. You escape but not before seeing Deathwing get angry and slaughter some TH for being incompetent. The significance of Heretic is that he/she becomes the new Earthwarder once Deathwing is defeated! The humor would be layered on top of the epicness that Blizz almost always comes up with to make a fun experience.

Like it? Hate it? Love it? Let me know what you guys think!
    Last edited by jma22tb; 2010-10-24 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be hard gearing up, since it'd be the only class to use its type of armor (cloth with agi), also I think it'd be better if it started 65-68

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think one hero class is enough. Besides, hero class means nothing other than it sarts at 55.

Deleted
    i scanned through and saw agi-cloth and thought i would just say that it's a terrible idea to add new CLOTH items, leather maybe or mail - it's a lot less contested. also from the abilities you listed it sounds like it was either be really OP or really UP - hard to balance but a decent idea!

*EDIT

what i would love to see in WoW was the ability to level up a seperate "class" ontop of your own, NwN did it in an expansion and i believe FFXI did it too (but more towards the NwN version) say we are level 80 now, based on our class we could then expand 5 more levels into more.. niche playstyles (example: rogues/warriors could become demon hunters, mages could become archmages, warlocks demon lords etc) i realise it's a bit D&D style for wow but imo it could really work and would allow PvP to expand a LOT more.

the downside would be that they should be permanent levels and people would end up rerolling a new class from level 1 to gain a 3dps because they picked the wrong hero class xD
    Last edited by mmoc5cac9fc33e; 2010-10-24 at 05:45 AM.

Cant say im in love but a bit of advice.

Id really suggest going leather or mail for armor class. Either way you go it only 2 classes youd compete with and wouldnt be an extra strain on clothies or require a totally new type of armor itemization.

Its a nifty idea but I think itd do better to follow in the footsteps of an arcane warrior type player who basically gears like an ele shammy or balance druid who melee swings for straight magic damage if you want to be REALLY "different" sp weapons, sp gear just actually puts that staff, sword or dagger to use.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jma22tb View Post
    Armor Class: cloth (new type - agi cloth)
    not going to happen, sorry. blizzard doesn't want to make items just for one class (or even specc). the only one now is the holy paladin and they have said for a long time now, that they aren't happy with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Font... /cringe

But yeah the dragonsworn idea has been suggested a ton...

55-58 is good because we're not skipping BC. Remember, BC is a purchased product so we've got to play by those rules. Yeah I know. But anyway, what's bad about being 30 levels away from max level instead of 89 (assuming next xpac level cap is 90)? It's not like Hero classes can be significantly more powerful than other classes (remember the OMG Death Knight is TOO POWERFUL!!!1!! QQ?) so a level boost makes sense as a perk.

Also, agi cloth can be worked into the drops and quests just like spell leather was. It'll be a pain for Blizz but it's more of a pain for them and us as guilds and pug raids *shudder* to deal with people fighting over loot. If we shared leather, then that's ferals, rogues, and dragonsworn QQing on wow forums over agi leather lootfights. Bleh. If mail... then it doesn't make sense because all that armor wouldn't translate well into a shapeshift. Besides agi cloth can go to some cool places in the future, like Pandaren monks or pirates.

Blizz can be as unhappy as they want about unique gear for specs. They put it in the game so they're stuck with it. The better plan would be to find out a way to give people loot better, like having one item drop for each character in a raid per boss fight that makes it worth everyone's time to show up to the damn thing for four hours. It doesn't need to take two months to gear a character that's stupid.
    Last edited by jma22tb; 2010-10-24 at 05:57 AM.

Deleted
    Seems quite interesting. Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by jma22tb View Post
    The better plan would be to find out a way to give people loot better, like having one item drop for each character in a raid per boss fight that makes it worth everyone's time to show up to the damn thing for four hours. It doesn't need to take two months to gear a character that's stupid.
    Sorry, but you just lost all your credibility, right here.