Thread: Boss Taunting

Boss Taunting

This is something I think needs to be asked.

All the bosses that've been tested, does anyone know if they're tauntable or untauntable? That deal with making every WotLK boss tauntable was what really kinda killed raiding a bit inside. In BC dps had to keep their eyes glued to omen to avoid pulling threat and wiping an attempt. Two good examples of this are hydross from SSC and Bloodboil from BT.

Pulling threat on Hydross often lead to extra adds which would lead to a wipe.
    Generating more aggro than your 3 (2?) tanks on BB would result in a failed tank swap Blood boil soaks being screwed and a eventual wipe.

In Wrath it was just nuke, nuke, oh I pulled threat and died? Dumbass of a tank didn't taunt back fast enough. I'm pretty sure there's many a tank out there that'd like to strangle dps for overnuking then talking smack said tank didn't get the "save the asshole" taunt off in time.

So are the bosses Untauntable?
    If they aren't but Blizz was to consider it what would you think?
    If they aren't do you think they should be?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure they won't consider it outside of a specific encounter mechanic (think ldw hc)

They would somehow have to balance offtanking threat, so DPS wouldn't be gimped by the how much threat the OT generates.
    And DPS didn't look at Omen because they knew the tank would taunt back fast enough, but because threat was so trivial that a halfway decent tank could easily hold threat.

Me no want.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Almost every boss in current end content in cataclysm is tauntable. It leads to rather silly expoliting on certain fights, such as Halfus Wyrmbreaker. They need to introduce Taunt DR to bosses or it could get quite ugly later on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    Almost every boss in current end content in cataclysm is tauntable. It leads to rather silly expoliting on certain fights, such as Halfus Wyrmbreaker. They need to introduce Taunt DR to bosses or it could get quite ugly later on down the road.
    There is taunt DR on bosses, unless that got removed in the beta
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No bosses in Cataclysm have taunt DR currently. That's what concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    I'm pretty sure they won't consider it outside of a specific encounter mechanic (think ldw hc)

They would somehow have to balance offtanking threat, so DPS wouldn't be gimped by the how much threat the OT generates.
    And DPS didn't look at Omen because they knew the tank would taunt back fast enough, but because threat was so trivial that a halfway decent tank could easily hold threat.

Me no want.

We dealt with the OT threat on Bloodboil. Simply required dps to actually pay attention and not go over the extra tanks on threat. Threat sensitive fights were some of the more intense fights there were.

Hydross
    Leotheras

These were two of my favourite fights since you could always tell who fucked up/jumped the gun since it almost always lead to a wipe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, I'm fine if it's part of encounter mechanics.

But on a fight like DBS or PP it would simply be a pain, since OT threat is a pain, now more than pre 4.0.1

Don't get me wrong though. I didn't like it when threat wasn't an issue, ie where I had a 200k headstart to DPS after 2 minutes. But simply making bosses not tauntable doesn't really add anything. A DPS that pulls threat dies anyway most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    We dealt with the OT threat on Bloodboil. Simply required dps to actually pay attention and not go over the extra tanks on threat. Threat sensitive fights were some of the more intense fights there were.
    Hello Patchwerk 25 man when he actually mattered?

But let's put it this way. It's not "FUN" for DPS to have to hold back. It's not "FUN" for the tank who loses aggro. It's not "FUN" for the healers who have to deal with it. We've had to hold back for a couple fights early in Wrath mainly Patchwerk, sometimes Thadius (mostly ret paladins and fury warriors who could top 10k DPS on that fight in T7 gear due to a couple bugs), and sometimes Kel'Thuzad (when he dropped aggro).

On trash, sure. It's "fun" to make me wait a few seconds to nuke. It's not "fun" on bosses. Honestly, threat should be removed on boss fights. That's my story. I'm sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    No bosses in Cataclysm have taunt DR currently. That's what concerns me.
    Of course they're going to put it back in. Otherwise that leads to two tanks standing 40 yards away from each other repeatedly taunting the boss back and forth. I remember people doing that on the second boss in the Arachnid Quarter in Naxx (wotlk) before they fixed it. And yes, they fixed it.

They said in a blue post that they are going to increase the gap between normal and heroic modes. That means the casuals and newbies will raid normal raids and I'm pretty sure the bosses will be tauntable.

On the other hand, I bet that at least 1 boss every tier on heroic mode will be immune to taunt, like Lady Deathwhisper was. When I first killed her on heroic, It seemed like the best fight ever! (wasn't playing during vanilla and TBC)
    Last edited by Piggo; 2010-10-26 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Yeah I prefer fights where the boss is tauntable. I'm ok with having a taunt DR in place on these fights because it seems silly to ping pong the boss back and forth the entire fight. But yeah, having to aggro swap without taunting on Bloodboil was a pain, especially if one of your tanks sucked.