Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why is the Legendary going to be a staff?

First off, this is not a QQ post, my main is a hunter. I am just curious as to why Blizzard would choose a staff instead of a dagger for the caster legendary weapon. This legendary was supposed to be for caster dps (unless all the rumors are wrong) but having it be a staff kinda gimps elemental shammies since then they lose roughly half of their armor due to loss of a shield. All the caster dps can use a dagger: spriest, mage, lock, ele, and boomkin, but a staff is just awkward for shamans. So why would they do it?

Because Metzen said so

but seriously I really don't know

You're speculating.

I dare not take everything Chris and/or any other panel said - possibly in jest - at Blizzcon as gospel.

10+ Year Old Account
    All casters can use a staff anyway (afaik). I doubt shockadins become viable enough to warrant a legendary. Plus, you can do so much more detail wise with a staff than a dagger.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Because staves are bigger and looks cooler. It's hard to make a tiny thing like a dagger stand out and look super legendary.

About the shammies, armor isn't a big deal in PvE anyway, and legendaries are mostly a PvE thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dagger is small, staff is big. Artists like something big to work with when designing unique weapon models! And who cares about the armor of a dps in raids? If a guild tries to argue that it can't be used for a shaman because they can use shields, how do they explain the same to other casters with offhands? What do they expect the shaman to MT?

Deleted
    They've answered that before. The reason why they don't want to make a legendary dagger is because daggers are smaller than other weapons which means less details and blizzard wants as much eyecandy as possible when they make legendaries.

you dont need armor in PvE as ele shammy
    "Blizzard is not incompetent or stupid and they are not intentionally screwing you over"

10+ Year Old Account
    So all casters can use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman can use staffs. The armor from a shield doesn't really do anything in PvE, and legendaries are PvE weapons, so losing that armor is meaningless.

Daggers are just too small to make good-looking legendaries from, unless they make it as big as a sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some elemental shamans do not approve of it because Legendaries are usually BiS for PvP as well. It's a bit annoying, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MortalWombat View Post
    Dagger is small, staff is big. Artists like something big to work with when designing unique weapon models! And who cares about the armor of a dps in raids? If a guild tries to argue that it can't be used for a shaman because they can use shields, how do they explain the same to other casters with offhands? What do they expect the shaman to MT?
    No, but for PvP purposes it would be disappointing for shamans to have the highest dps weapon gimp their survivability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huangzhong9 View Post
    So all casters can use it?
    All casters can use daggers last time I checked

Because they said it would be <_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Think about it.
    Think about it for like at least 10 seconds.
    Tell me why a staff might be better than a dagger. Go on, try.
    Tauren > you

Deleted
    'cos "legendary dagger" sounds lame? great archmagi and sorcerers are usually portrayed with what? runed kitchen knife? diamond-encrusted pig-sticker? No, they are portrayed with staves - symbols of power and majesty.

As for armor - shamans are the most armored casters already, with their mail armor; apart from that, I'm sure a legendary item will provide enough stamina to compensate for any armour loss.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabian View Post
    First off, this is not a QQ post, my main is a hunter. I am just curious as to why Blizzard would choose a staff instead of a dagger for the caster legendary weapon. This legendary was supposed to be for caster dps (unless all the rumors are wrong) but having it be a staff kinda gimps elemental shammies since then they lose roughly half of their armor due to loss of a shield. All the caster dps can use a dagger: spriest, mage, lock, ele, and boomkin, but a staff is just awkward for shamans. So why would they do it?
    Wait, people took that seriously?

Why did Shadowmourne have arpen despite it being horrible for Ret?
    Why was Val'anyr so gimped for Disc Priests?

Face it, some classes benefit more from an item than others. That includes legendaries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there is another Faction Champs-esque fight in Cata, us PvE shaman will probably go for the legendary staff
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.