Old God Parallels

Cthulhu: An Old God sleeping beneath the sea in his city of Rylegh with his deep one servants and Dagon carrying out his will.
    Cthun: An Old God sleeping beneath the earth in his city of Ahn'quiraj with the Quiraj servants and Cho'gall tending to his will.

5 original Great Old Ones/Outer Gods in Lovecraft's works.
    5 Old Gods on Azeroth

The Dreamlands in Lovecraft's works were accessable to the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods where they could, usually through Nyarlathotep, manipulate the events.
    The Emerald Dream is being corrupted by an Old God.

Nyarlathotep was rumored to be helping scientists work on the Atom Bomb.
    Goblins and Gnomes making weapons of mass destruction.

Azathoth, the demon sultan of the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods. Also known as the blind idiot God.
    Azeroth (Meta God inc?)

The Titans imprisoned the Old Gods, afting winning a war with them. Hoping for them to stay imprisoned until the end of time. But the prisons have been weakening and breaking, allowing their influence to break through.
    The Other Gods and Lesser Gods of the Earth looked upon the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods with disgust. They promptly began to use their powerful magics to seal them away until the end of time. But their seals have been weakening, and so have they. And, when the Greay Old Ones and Outer Gods finally break free, they might no longer have the power to seal them once more.

Lets make a list of every single Old God parallel in game that we are aware of. List any/all of the ones that you can remember
    Last edited by Lolretadin; 2010-10-26 at 03:45 AM.

It's pretty well known that blizzard references the Cthulhu mythos quite a lot. Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, etc.

Edit: I'll wait until the post is finished before replying properly

Edit2: The new God could be a reference to Nyogtha or Nyarlathotep which are mentioned in the Necromonicon (I think, I'm by no means an expert lol).
    Last edited by zabuu; 2010-10-26 at 03:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats the new old gods reference then??
    This Pear.......So Delicious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it is all influenced by the Cthulhu Mythos, but i sometimes think Cthun is closer to Cthuga than Cthulhu, though iv been proved it isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennor View Post
    Whats the new old gods reference then??
    N'zoth, Azathoth. My favorite of old Howard's Elder Gods.

N'zoth, based on the Yogg puzzle box would seem to be based on Shub-Niggurath. With all the black goat and dark forest references.

Quote Originally Posted by Jivanmukta View Post
    N'zoth, based on the Yogg puzzle box would seem to be based on Shub-Niggurath. With all the black goat and dark forest references.
    If this is true, then they're sticking to the H.P. Lovecraft version of the Mythos.

Not a matter of sticking to it or not. They take pieces and change it to their own. Creative license and whatnot. But certain references lead to certain Lovecraftian gods. Granted, the same puzzle box speaks of "even death may die" which is a quote more ascribed to Cthulu and not Shub.

10+ Year Old Account
    They just said it a blizcon that the old god in the emerald dream (emerald nightmare now) is the same one who is useing Deathwing.
    -Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
    -Never miss a good chance to shut up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Azathoth, the demon sultan of the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods. Also known as the blind idiot God.
    Azeroth (Meta God inc?)
    Isn't there supposed to be an old god in Azeroths Core?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanfastic View Post
    Isn't there supposed to be an old god in Azeroths Core?
    Unknown.
    On the other hand I remembered an Old Video which makes me think of the Naga in WoW...