Thread: The Exorcist

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Exorcist

I had this crazy idea for a Paladin DPS build. I don't think it would be topping DPS charts, but it might be interesting to try out. The only problem is that I don't have a Holy-geared level 85 Paladin.

The idea, as you've probably figured out, is to spam Exorcism and use Judgement on cooldown. My inspiration for this build came from leveling my (currently) level 69 Paladin and having my Exorcisms hitting so damn hard. With Art of War, it's just retarded, sometimes 1-shotting mobs. Without it, it's still pretty crazy. The only problem is that spamming it runs down my mana really fast, but that got me to thinking, what if I had more mana? So much mana that going OOM would take a long time? Holy gear! Massive intellect stacking plus attack power buffs would end up giving a whole lot of spell power for Exorcism to scale with, even though the scaling is kinda shitty. Here's the spec I've come up with:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#sfhMZ...cdbd:M0Rcoqmco

Again, it's probably not going to be a very good build, but I think it could be really fun, especially doing Heroics with it.

Without this coming across as rude, what makes this spec or play style fun?

Why the TV glyph? There isn't much point to it if you're just going to spam exo and judgement is there? If anything I would pick up the WoG glyph to at least help out a spell you'll be using. Considering you picked the Selfless Healer talent.

I would also pick up Inquiry of Faith for the longer Inquisition duration. Dropping Eye for an eye and maybe Arts of Sacrifice. An increase in duration of 150% is quite a bit.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Without this coming across as rude, what makes this spec or play style fun?
    What's fun about spamming arcane blast and arc missiles as a mage? What's fun about keeping track of dots as a -insert class with dots here-?

My point: fun is subjective.

Why wouldnt you take Inquiry of Faith? It increases the duration of Inquisition. Which is 30% more damage on exorcism. You would want to CS on cooldown to keep this up at 85. That being said, there is no way this build will do more damage than ret. If you want to holy dps, then go holy?

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Why wouldnt you take Inquiry of Faith? It increases the duration of Inquisition. Which is 30% more damage on exorcism. You would want to CS on cooldown to keep this up at 85. That being said, there is no way this build will do more damage than ret. If you want to holy dps, then go holy?
    Spamming CS won't be necessary considering you get a 40% chance to generate 1 HP each second. With inquisition lasting up till 30 seconds (if I'm not mistaken), there is no reason not to have 100% uptime.

Also, there aren't alot of damage increasing talents in the holy tree, the only positives you get in the tree are:
    - reduced exo cost. I'm not sure if the ret build will generate enough mana to keep the spam up, if it does then this talent is pointless.
    - holy shock. While it deals good damage this will be completely nullified by the increase in dmg from AoW
    - Divine favor. Good talent, but alot longer uptime of inquisition (100%) seems alot better than this.
    - Hit from spirit. If the player decides to pick up hit gear he shouldn't have any problems with this (ofcourse losing his plate spec bonus)
    - 10 yards increase in judgement. 30 yards range should suffice
    - Holy shock able to grant you an instant exo. I'm guessing you'll have enough haste to cap out exo at 1 sec. The instant exo only proves useful while moving.

Therefor it'll indeed be better to take this spec for holy dps.
    I haven't played beta but I think this spec could do well, probably not up to par with other specs but I think it'll be alot of fun. I'll possibly try it out at 85.

wel you could, try and think SMART?

spec into holy, and get cheap exorcism, there is also a talent (like 20% chance when auto attack that you have a insta exorcism) you have a talent where holy shock has 50% to make exorcism insta, so doesnt this give you a better dps?
    I mean, just spec holy AND have holy gear AND into exorcism and you will do WAY more damage than your build.

you thought right, but missed horribly.
    the link you put there shows you put actually ZERO effort into it.
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k131/meggot/lol4thzh7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by yesIregisteredtopost View Post
    wel you could, try and think SMART?

spec into holy, and get cheap exorcism, there is also a talent (like 20% chance when auto attack that you have a insta exorcism) you have a talent where holy shock has 50% to make exorcism insta, so doesnt this give you a better dps?
    I mean, just spec holy AND have holy gear AND into exorcism and you will do WAY more damage than your build.

you thought right, but missed horribly.
    the link you put there shows you put actually ZERO effort into it.
    Try reading the post above yours, smartypants.
    Quote Originally Posted by yesIregisteredtopost View Post
    there is also a talent (like 20% chance when auto attack that you have a insta exorcism)
    That's a ret talent.

Nice effort though, troll.

PS: There's a thing called "Global Cooldown".

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemokie View Post
    Why the TV glyph? There isn't much point to it if you're just going to spam exo and judgement is there? If anything I would pick up the WoG glyph to at least help out a spell you'll be using. Considering you picked the Selfless Healer talent.

I would also pick up Inquiry of Faith for the longer Inquisition duration. Dropping Eye for an eye and maybe Arts of Sacrifice. An increase in duration of 150% is quite a bit.

Edit:

What's fun about spamming arcane blast and arc missiles as a mage? What's fun about keeping track of dots as a -insert class with dots here-?

My point: fun is subjective.
    Yeah I didn't really put much thought into the glyphs and some of the talents, I actually noticed what Inquisition did after making the spec. About AoW, it wouldn't proc at all unless you were auto-attacking, which is kinda hard to do at range. It's an exorcist, not a fucking ret-fighter, swish swish stab! (wave wave cast?) To those questioning the build, what is the purpose of playing the game at all? I like to make people go "What... the fuck?!" Doing so is fun to me, and how can you honestly say that topping the charts in a Heroic using Exorcism spam wouldn't be fun? As for criticism on the actual build, I haven't been playing a Ret Paladin for long, I'm not even level 80 yet, this is just an idea I had and I formulated this post in about 10 minutes after coming up with the idea in the first place.

Also, I would want the spec to use HoW, and maybe even WoG with enough Haste. 1 second GCD, 1 GCD for 12% more damage on the next 10 casts, seems worth it to me.

It's too bad, this build could be so much better if you didn't HAVE to spec 31 points. You could pick up Divine Favor and Denounce

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    It's too bad, this build could be so much better if you didn't HAVE to spec 31 points. You could pick up Divine Favor and Denounce
    Indeed. I wish you could mix and match spec benefits too, having Holy Shock and Sheath of Light would be cool.

Deleted
    You can do something like 7-8k dps on undead targets as a holy paladin spamming exo, if that's what you want to do?

Deleted
    PVE:
    Holy = Heal
    Prot = Tanking
    Retri = DPS

PVP
    Anything goes.

this type of spec has been dead since TBC sorry....its old news and its called a shockadin

Quote Originally Posted by Terradii View Post
    this type of spec has been dead since TBC sorry....its old news and its called a shockadin
    Exorcism had a cooldown then, and you've obviously glazed over some important parts of the post.

Title is SO misleading

I was hoping for some ''The Exorcist'' references

10+ Year Old Account
    This wouldn't work whatsoever. Exorcism drains your mana so much you'd go oom after 30 secounds to one minute.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    This wouldn't work whatsoever. Exorcism drains your mana so much you'd go oom after 30 secounds to one minute.
    Exorcism for Holy only costs 25% of the normal mana cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    Exorcism for Holy only costs 25% of the normal mana cost.
    Is this with or without denounce? I'm assuming the build has Dencounce in it. Which on that note nevermind.

I'd check for myself but Wowhead isn't working for me right now and i havent bothered clearing my cache.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Is this with or without denounce? I'm assuming the build has Dencounce in it. Which on that note nevermind.

I'd check for myself but Wowhead isn't working for me right now and i havent bothered clearing my cache.
    Denounce reduces Exorcism's mana cost by 75% at all times.