Vulnerability Damage

Not sure if it ok here in the mage forum, but since it happened on my mage, i'll post it here

So, what is Vulnerability Damage ?
    BRD - Upper city on my 56 mage.
    I assumed that the Molten War Golems have a high fire resil, so I used frostfire bolt on them.
    After some resists, I've got this:

What the hell is that?

I think its an old mechanic that they used in vanilla wow. A lot of mobs would be immune to certain types of spells and then would be vulnerable to other types.

For instance a Fire elemental would be immune to fire damage but weak to frost so it would take extra damage from frost.

It's a fun mechanic I wish they'd bring back, personally. I always thought how stupid it was that on Sarth 3D for example I was casting Flamestrike to AoE the fire ele adds, or even later on mobs like Ignis, Razorscale, or Toravon they took normal damage from fire based attacks.

I suppose all the QQing about being "forced to spec" for a particular encounter just forced the dev's to change it.

most bog lord/swamp creatures are fire vulnerable aswell, but yeah its a hilarious mechanic from vanilla that got phased out

Ah I see, thanks for the answers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I was freaked out by those numbers as well. A Frostbolt got me a 75k crit on one of those golems.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

They are too OP, they should nerf them cause they can 1-3 shot people.

I suppose all the QQing about being "forced to spec" for a particular encounter just forced the dev's to change it.
    Yeah ok, or how about:

Hmm, this is a freaking blob of shadow. I mean it's nearly the EMBODIMENT of shadow. Shadow immune? NO WAIT. Shadow priests can't deal with that. Okay. But we can do fire immunity anytime because mages can spec around that NP.

They can't be consistent with it and it's just a moronic kind of flavor. You could argue that some mobs should have gargantuan amounts of armor and some nearly none as well, but they won't do that either. Balance > lore.

People used to argue that it was a mage strength to be able to spec around immunities, but that would only be true if immunities were used evenly and shadow immunity wasn't as uncommon as lions in Antarctica.