Thread: Shooting Stars

10+ Year Old Account

Shooting Stars

I was thinking about how shooting stars is currently bugged (and is consumed by casted Starsurges) and how they might fix it. Several people have said "they should be able to fix it since they did it with starfire and T8". The only problem with that is starfire has no cooldown. How would they fix that with Starsurge?

I was musing on one possible fix: Starsurge stays instant and has no CD until shooting stars is consumed. I've never quite understood why the proc is checked at the end of the spell instead of at the beginning. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it check if there is a shooting stars proc at the beginning? I was under the assumption of that is how spell calculations are done anyway (at the beginning). Is there any reason why they would be doing the check at the end of the cast?

Also, I wish they would fix sunfire already

They're not going to fix it. The tier 8 problem was only fixed because of how often Starfire was cast and most procs were being wasted. Starsurge doesn't have that problem. Every other instant-cast proc mechanic in the game behaves the same way, and always will, unless there's an exception like the Tier 8 bonus.

What's broken with sunfire?

10+ Year Old Account
    @conqq: Sunfire is ticking every 3 seconds instead of 2 like moonfire.

@nemex: You're wrong that all instant procs are like that. For affliction warlocks, if you proc nightfall while casting shadowbolt, it currently fires 2 shadowbolts instead of just eating the proc. Perhaps they could change it to function similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post

@nemex: You're wrong that all instant procs are like that. For affliction warlocks, if you proc nightfall while casting shadowbolt, it currently fires 2 shadowbolts instead of just eating the proc. Perhaps they could change it to function similarly.
    Then we would be functioning essentially the same as affliction warlocks, which is exactly what Blizzard doesn't want-- and is probably why we haven't seen this implemented already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Then we would be functioning essentially the same as affliction warlocks, which is exactly what Blizzard doesn't want-- and is probably why we haven't seen this implemented already.
    Lol what? Fixing a terrible bug on a proc would make us like affliction warlocks? I don't think you read or understood what we're discussing here. Dots + nukes =/= affliction warlocks. I was suggesting a change based on what is already implemented for a very similar proc.

Besides, how would that make boomkins and aff warlocks any more similar? Last I checked, double shadowbolt on nightfall isn't exactly spec defining...

15+ Year Old Account

Sunfire is correctly ticking on 4.0.3 PTR. The light is visible at the end of the tunnel.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    Sunfire is correctly ticking on 4.0.3 PTR. The light is visible at the end of the tunnel.
    *cheers and pulls cake out*

I think they should work starsurge like nightfall, as mentioned above, of course taking 2 20k+ crits to the face at once wont be very fun for anyone on the receiving end...
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Lol what? Fixing a terrible bug on a proc would make us like affliction warlocks? I don't think you read or understood what we're discussing here. Dots + nukes =/= affliction warlocks. I was suggesting a change based on what is already implemented for a very similar proc.

Besides, how would that make boomkins and aff warlocks any more similar? Last I checked, double shadowbolt on nightfall isn't exactly spec defining...
    You want a double cast when shooting star procs instead of consuming the proc... The same mechanic as affliction.

I didnt say "this would make us affliction locks", I simply said we would be functionig essentially the same. Note that I'm talking about the proc mechanic/bug... Not the classes in general. Maybe im misinterpreting your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    You want a double cast when shooting star procs instead of consuming the proc... The same mechanic as affliction.

I didnt say "this would make us affliction locks", I simply said we would be functionig essentially the same. Note that I'm talking about the proc mechanic/bug... Not the classes in general. Maybe im misinterpreting your post.
    By your logic since all casters cast, we are essentially the same, and blizzard doesn't want that, right?

By your logic since all casters cast, we are essentially the same, and blizzard doesn't want that, right?
    Good mechanics can't replace bad mechanics, to meet the requirement of game 'diversity'. Some classes need to suck to make the game diverse. Sorry.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they don't want to actually 'fix' the ability this way, I think the only proper thing to do would be to cause your starsurge to fire instantly if you were middle of the cast and shooting stars procs, although I think changing this mechanic would be harder then just not consuming the proc if we're casting starsurge.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    If they don't want to actually 'fix' the ability this way, I think the only proper thing to do would be to cause your starsurge to fire instantly if you were middle of the cast and shooting stars procs, although I think changing this mechanic would be harder then just not consuming the proc if we're casting starsurge.
    Yeah, I've seen this numerous times in pvp.. *casting starsurge* -PROC- *starsurge fires* *Proc consumed* "FUUUUU--"