Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Pre-Download Cataclysm if you bought a hard copy.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/29/wa...ing-heres-how/

NOTE: Blizzard has approved use of this method. It is not against the ToS, EULA, or any other acronym.

Pre-orders for the Cataclysm digital upgrade are officially open, and you can start downloading the remainder of the expansion's data the moment your purchase goes through. But what if you're awaiting a Collector's Edition or you don't have the money to upgrade online right now? You don't want to be left waiting for Cataclysm to download and install on launch night.

Thankfully, we've got you covered. There's an easy way to preload all the data you'll need to play Cataclysm the moment it goes live on midnight Dec. 7. Just follow these easy steps:

1. Make sure World of Warcraft and/or the launcher and background downloader are completely closed.
    2. Open up your World of Warcraft folder.
    3. Open your WTF folder.
    4. Open Launcher.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.
    5. Open Config.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.

Now load up the launcher and you should begin downloading 700 megs or so of new material. That's the last bit of data you need to play on launch night. Enjoy!

Remember: This will only give you the necessary files to play Cataclysm. It will not upgrade your account and you will not be able to access Cataclysm features. You still need to buy the game if you want to play on launch day.

After changing this you need to let your launcher sit for 5 or so seconds to start the download. 400Mb left for me.

This is posted like 5 times every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakasu View Post
    Well didn't search and browsed a few forums already and didn't see one, so unless a mod deletes this, here is the 6th for the day. :|

EDIT: found 2 threads, that's hardly 5 a day.
    Last edited by Indiglo; 2010-10-30 at 02:11 PM.

No offense intended to the OP, but is there anywhere where a Blue poster has confirmed this is okay to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    No offense intended to the OP, but is there anywhere where a Blue poster has confirmed this is okay to do?
    yep there is

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=1&pageNo=1#15

I saw nothinbg in that thread saying it was ok for those who did not purchase the pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by Aabrahm View Post
    I saw nothinbg in that thread saying it was ok for those who did not purchase the pre-order.
    Doubt blizzard has any idea who purchased the game. Seeing that goes through retail stores and not through blizzard themselves. So should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aabrahm View Post
    well then read more carefully........sigh

Note: Pre-downloading Cataclysm prevents you from being able to view cinematics and cut-scenes in game.
    Edit: for those who don't believe me
    Last edited by Solus; 2010-10-30 at 04:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerikaya View Post
    There's more bosses after Saurfang?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    I got 99 problems, but a totem ain't one.
    Word.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    Note: Pre-downloading Cataclysm prevents you from being able to view cinematics and cut-scenes in game.
    I can affirm that pre-downloading Catalcysm has not prevented me from viewing the currently existing cinematics.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    Edit: for those who don't believe me
    false information. this is no longer true

Quote Originally Posted by Hakasu View Post
    First time I've seen this myself. Thank you OP, sharing this information with my guild. They will all be quite pleased.

Quick question about the pre-order thing (dont feel like creating another thread to this)
    If I pre-order cataclysm will I need to Log in the game itself to download it or just put my login, password and hit the play button?
    My account is frozen and I do not intend to reactivate it until cataclysm launches.... so that means I can't pre-download it?

A blue posted this method to help people having problems with downloading the digital copy :P Tried it to see if i was able to download it anyway and I did yesterday XD Only need to buy a key now and I will be set to start playing on December 7th (though I will prolly wait until all the craziness on worgens/goblins and lvl 80-85 lvling for about 2 weeks before starting to play again XD)

Quote Originally Posted by callango View Post
    Quick question about the pre-order thing (dont feel like creating another thread to this)
    If I pre-order cataclysm will I need to Log in the game itself to download it or just put my login, password and hit the play button?
    My account is frozen and I do not intend to reactivate it until cataclysm launches.... so that means I can't pre-download it?
    You can follow the methos posted in the orginal post if you can't download it by entering info and "logging in" . As long as you paid, your account should be upgraded to Cata on December 7th

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    All you have to do is what the OP said and open your launcher and it should download. When release day comes the people who got the physical copy just need to put there code to upgrade there account. No need to use the cds...lol.
    This, not as if the servers will be stable (l o l) when it launches but at least you have a step out of the way.

Did you give credit to Sacco on wow.com for posting that?

It is word for word, and you obviously copied and pasted it

Quote Originally Posted by DrDiabolical View Post

He did put the link to the source in the first line ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDiabolical View Post

Maybe I am the same guy... (I'm not) source was posted on the same line, yes, I got it from Wow.com.

Props to the OP! First time I saw this and I have to say it's pretty convenient ^^

Or you can just buy the digital copy. Same thing but you can play earlier. Hard copies are for kids without credit cards.
    Last edited by Neyze; 2010-10-31 at 07:13 PM. Reason: BECAUSE I FELT LIKE IT
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity