Thread: TG vs SMF (PvP)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Reporting in...

Just played some BGs in a proper Fury PvP spec with 4xT10 rest PvP shit and Wrathful 1handers and it was an absolute rapefest.

I killed the EFC in WSG in 3 globals with 2 healers on him when I popped Deathwish and Recklesness (was a gamebreaking Flag return to boot!).

Also was lucky enough to get some Resto Shaman to follow me around in their GY. Nothing makes you smile like a Cleave poppin 3x9k on your sceen, multiple times.

Rage was a bit of an problem at times with Charge not being usable in combat, but its all good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalya View Post
    Yeah, SMF increases physical damage done by 15% across the board, which makes all your AP-based abilities deal way more damage than what you'd do as TG. Yes, the stats are lower, but currently, my HS crits about 20k on target dummies, and I've had 19k crits in PvP (as SMF), Execute is insane, critting about 30-35k with DW up (no mastery) and Victory Rush has gone up to 15k, with highest crits in PvP being about 13k. This is all outside of ICC, and without external buffs, so only Battle Shout's up (PvE-wise of course).

While RB will hit like a truck for TG, HS and BT already do that for SMF. I will not say either is superior, since I've only played SMF since the patch (both PvE and PvP), but it just puts a smile on your face when you can 2-shot people (18k HS + 13k VR on a rogue yesterday, felt amazing).
    When you say crits in pvp, are you useing pvp gear, id like to try it but i dont know if i can actually pvp as fury with pvp gear or do i need pve fury gear?

edit: what sort of hit do i need?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    When you say crits in pvp, are you useing pvp gear, id like to try it but i dont know if i can actually pvp as fury with pvp gear or do i need pve fury gear?

edit: what sort of hit do i need?

Use pvp gear yeah, reforge crit to mastery and you still need 5% hit, so 2% from gear I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Girls who play Warriors?! What the hell? My world was just turned upside down. Did they remove the Paladin from the game?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirie View Post
    Use pvp gear yeah, reforge crit to mastery and you still need 5% hit, so 2% from gear I believe.
    thanks

thanks
    Of course, use a bit more hit if possible, but 5% hit in total should be the cap even for fury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Girls who play Warriors?! What the hell? My world was just turned upside down. Did they remove the Paladin from the game?

Of course, use a bit more hit if possible, but 5% hit in total should be the cap even for fury.
    Yellow, yes. White, no. It's not a huge deal but it hurts your Rage when you miss your whites.

Deleted
    The main thing that puts me off using SMF for PvP is simply the loss of resilience. 92 resilience isn't something to overlook.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearson View Post
    The main thing that puts me off using SMF for PvP is simply the loss of resilience. 92 resilience isn't something to overlook.
    loss of resilence from what?

Deleted
    loss of resilence from what?
    I was using the example weapons from the first post, sorry I didn't really make that clear. The actual difference in Resilience will of course vary depending on your weapon setup (ie. if your using PvE weapons the difference is in the offensive stats instead):

2x 2H = 92 * 2 = 184 Resi
    2x 1H = 46 * 2 = 92 Resi
    Difference = 92
    Last edited by mmocb907825fbc; 2010-11-02 at 03:24 PM.

i just noticed theres no talent like juggernaught for fury

hmmm,do you basically just use berzerker stance and intercept.cuz i know with arms i usually just charge and pop deadly calm and start ownin people

Deleted
    Fury has a 15 sec cooldown Intercept (talented and 4pc PvP gear) together with Heroic Fury (30 sec CD, resets Intercept CD and removes snares), which is where your mobility comes from.

Yes, you'll be in 'zerker stance most of the time, since that's the only one you can use your Raging Blow in. Battle Stance is for Charging (out of combat obviously), Rending (against Plate/Bears) and Spell Reflect. Defensive can still use Bloodthirst and Heroic Strike (main nukes) but also lacks Raging Blow, instead it has Intervene, Rend, Spell Reflect, Disarm and all your defensive cooldowns, I'd say only go defensive with a shield in most cases, but just just quick disarms etc, don't even bother changing weps.

Fury is far away from being pvp viable. The lack of CC and movement options lets it lacking.
    As arms in pve gear and spec I've met both options and SMF seemed more powerfull, I could kill both even though they had pvp gear however SMF managed to get me back. SMF also looks to be better on paper from the POV of rage generation, since you hit faster, which can be a big plus depending on what you're fighting with, and you're only giving up a marginal ammount of survivability stats.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Deleted
    I do not agree with you. Fury is actually viable. So is Arms.

Yes, Fury lacks CC (except for fear), and the only gap closer we have is Intercept (and Heroic Fury), however, Piercing Howl keeps most enemies in melee range, lasts for 6 seconds and has (I believe) a 12 yard AOE (glyphed). Fury's strength is not in any of those departments however, but rather in its ability to completely wreck opponents in a couple of globals (depending on resilience), it has the high crits, and loads of burst. The rage generation for fury is somewhat lacking when you're not taking damage though, you'll usually be relying on shouts and the likes.

Arms however is (and has been for a while) the more solid PvP tree, with a more steady income of rage (due to lower hitcap for whites), a reliable MS, a stun, about the same mobility (with Charge and Intercept + Bladestorm).

It's really up to whatever you like, I'm currently doing both Fury (SMF) and Arms in PvP and I feel they're interchangeable. I prefer to run Arms in a premade though, and Fury when I do randoms.

Seeing as this is a thread regarding FUUUREEEH PEEVEEPEE I think that posting this video is very appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDxr9Zgss8

Enjoy 14 minutes of exploding on other classes as fury pvp.

All creds to Dontain of course.

Forgot to mention; It's on live servers.
    hahahahah I love Dontain
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what all the naysayers are up to these days that were saying TG would always unanimously dominate SMF.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I wonder what all the naysayers are up to these days that were saying TG would always unanimously dominate SMF.
    They're in with the crowd that voted for Obama
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

Deleted
    At the moment on beta, SMF is useless and outdone by TG by lightyears.

Both are dwarfed by Arms, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawati View Post
    At the moment on beta, SMF is useless and outdone by TG by lightyears.

Both are dwarfed by Arms, though.
    I'm by no means knowledgeable in warrior theorycraft but it seems logical. Weapon damage nearly doubles comparing 277 weapons to 346, and TG benefits more from weapon damage.
    SMF's main styles are BT and HS, since they scale from AP and get the 15% buff, where as TG wields 2 fucking greataxes that hit like trucks. 155% weapon damage with raging blow scales better off large damage numbers on weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

Seeing as this is a thread regarding FUUUREEEH PEEVEEPEE I think that posting this video is very appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDxr9Zgss8

Enjoy 14 minutes of exploding on other classes as fury pvp.

All creds to Dontain of course.

Forgot to mention; It's on live servers.
    That guy just became a legend for me.

I have just bought the two 264 1-H Axes to test this. Upgrading from 251 PvE.
    So far, My damage(burst) is about the same.

But i am still testing.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.