Thread: affliction??

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Cool affliction??

Hi there, im an newbie on the forums here.
    I've was just wondering that why there wasn't anyone who know what his doing to make an Affliction guide for 4.0.1 - Just the way there is to destru and demo atm.

Hope some one want to build the guide!

Cheers!

Deleted
    Not sure if i understood you right... but are you asking why there isnt any guide for affliction ?

short answer: because affli currently is in a very bad state

Deleted
    As the previous poster said, it's not so good on live, quite nice on beta though, so stay tuned!

At level 80 Aff is the runt of the litter, at 85 with Demon Soul and the Fel Hunter out it's back to being very competitive, not 100% sure how competitive but still, right up there. Go one of the other two specs for raiding at 80, leveling from 80-85 you will proberly get more milage and survivability as demo, then swap over to aff if you wish to play it.

I say demo for leveling (both old world and 80-85) due to the cool downs, a demon that can actually tank finally and some pretty decent burst damage when needed.

Deleted
    Affliction is basicly at the the bottom of the pile imo both in live and beta (although the gap is smaller in beta). Destro is doing what it always has done very well, and Demo is currently a powerhouse.

Basicly theres no excuse not to be Demo right now, big damage plus the raid buff and the extra survivabilty that it has always given make it an all round winner (although I've always been very biased towards this spec). I think the fact it has always been traditionaly the most unpopular spec has saved it from the nerf stick... which is nice.

I hope affliction will be a little more competetive when cata goes live, as warlocks have had 3 viable DPS specs, each having certain benafits over the others, for a long time and it would be a shame for that to change now.
    Last edited by mmoc53a5d0407d; 2010-11-01 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    Affliction is basicly at the the bottom of the pile imo both in live and beta (although the gap is smaller in beta). Destro is doing what it always has done very well, and Demo is currently a powerhouse.

Basicly theres no excuse not to be Demo right now, big damage plus the raid buff and the extra survivabilty that it has always given make it an all round winner (although I've always been very biased towards this spec). I think the fact it has always been traditionaly the most unpopular spec has saved it from the nerf stick... which is nice.
    invalid statement

the other reason theres likely no guide to 4.0 affliction is because its damn near the exact same as 3.x affliction lol

I think the above poster hits it on the head. The rotation is very similar if not the exact same ( per locks in my guild, I haven't toyed with it yet) as it was before. While there may not be a guide here, I'm positive that with a few google searches or a quick jump to the EJ forums you might find what you're looking for. However, absent a guide, I imagine that if you have specific questions the folks here could get you sorted out in the meantime. GL

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As the last 2 posters have stated, rotation has not changed much to warrant a rotation guide.
    Some interesting additions though:
    You won't clip your dots by refreshing early. This really only applied to Unstable affliction though, because Corruption is refreshed by Haunt and because of the way BoA works, you don't want to refresh the dot and lose the damage from the last tick. (I haven't tested this myself to see if the damage from the last tick is reduced if you refresh the dot).

Glyphed soul swap adds a very important damage boost when there are adds in fights or target switching. Useful for bone spikes, adds in Lady DW, blood beasts, green and orange oozes in Prof Put, switching targets on Blood Princes, adds in valithria, adds in LK.

The problem with Affliction is the 50% damage nerf when Seed of Corruption pops, Drain Soul in execute phase damage multiplier reduced to 2x from 4x, nerf to felpuppy at level 80, and I *think* haunt damage was nerfed as well (can someone confirm?).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    The problem with Affliction is the 50% damage nerf when Seed of Corruption pops, Drain Soul in execute phase damage multiplier reduced to 2x from 4x, nerf to felpuppy at level 80, and I *think* haunt damage was nerfed as well (can someone confirm?).
    I don't recall my haunt being nerfed, but everything else for certain.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

Its funny cuz my main spec has always been affli. So ofc i was hoping affli would be awesome in cata and get some cool stuff.

It ended up being the worst spec in the game (and most nerfed). Affliction is useless atm, slightly better at 85 maybe but still the worst. They nerfed the self healing, drains, felhunter, fear, even shadowflame got nerfed... first it did a aoe horror fear but that was too op... so instead of sligly nerfing it, they had to remove the whole effect and it still has a 25 sec CD and lasts for 6 sec down from 8. Shadowflame was op bro

Now i dunno what class I'm gonna play in cata. definitively not warlock. I'll probably end up quitting

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    Now i dunno what class I'm gonna play in cata. definitively not warlock. I'll probably end up quitting
    affliction is doing fine @ 85, if you watch the vid from the Nef encounter the number 2 on the meters (cause really thats all we care about ) was an affliction lock.

yes it blows @ 80 especially compared to demo and destro, but Dark intent and Demon soul are huge buffs for affliction (much more than the other 2 specs)

Even if it does good dps i dont care. I dont care too much about Pve, im more of a pvp guy. and I seriously doubt affli will be good in pvp after all the nerfs. you people can go on and say " affli will be fine bcuz it has always been gud!!" yeah. Even if it will be fine in PvP i still wont play the class, because they have ruined everything that was fun about the class. TBC warlocks, now THATS the real warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    TBC warlocks, now THATS the real warlocks.
    my 2 key is still worn out from spamming shadow bolt so much. (pve)
    I only did a lil pvp, but the only thing lost is siphon life isnt a dot anymore, and affliction has a lot more tools to do a lot more things with now (and more coming to 85)

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the fuzz about Affli beeing so bad. I actually quite enjoy it the way it is.

As for a guide you might wanna check out www.manaflask.com - new site by For the Horde (German Guild) & Ensidia providing Guides to most Classes & Specs in DE & ENG, along with a WL Guide (all spacs included)

Personally i really enjoy AFF atm. The glyphed SoulSwap is just amazing. My lock used to be my Main during TBC, now its an Alt who has been into ICC mayb 2 times so most of my Gear is from Badges (T10) and the new Arena Weapon hitting roughly 5,8 GS i manage to push 10K on a single target fight (outside of ICC).

Let's just wait an see for Cata and how it performs/feels at 85.

Peace!
    Last edited by Heltah; 2010-11-02 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typos

I'm currently running affliction and demo - affliction at 80 is still viable, but, as always, requires a great deal more attention than destro. My second spec is demo, and I have to admit it's been quite fun to raid with, for once.

With affliction, at 80, a couple notes.

You want to use succubus, with glyph of lash of pain. Fel Hunter may be "the" affliction pet, but he's not the best at 80 right now.

Your rotation priority is pretty much the same, except you don't need to lead with shadowbolt anymore, because DoT damage scales, you can run in and drop your instants on the way, and then worry about building up your shadow embrace, ISB stacks with sbolt and haunt.

As has been mentioned, you want to avoid clipping Bane of Agony too early, ideally you want to refresh this one right before the last tick.

Drain Souls during execute is still better dps than shadow bolt spamming, even with the 4x to 2x nerf.

15+ Year Old Account
    why felhunter at 85? have to be blind to know wtf is so good with felhunter at 85 for aff lol

There are guides on elitist jerks by the way, and as far as I can see it in 4.0.x Destruction goes hard, Affliction for some fights such as LK 25 HC and demonology isn't used in PVE because its personal DPS loss is too much and Shamans bring same buff.

Elitist Link: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t106493-...arlock_thread/

It's just an incomplete spec at 80. You can't get the talent you need to make it make sense. At 85 it's still behind, but it's definitely viable. Afflic on live is only viable in the sense that it can beat some of the lower DPS classes still. In my gear Afflic is 20% behind Destro. That's more than double how far Destro was behind Afflic pre-4.0 and Destro was considered essentially non-viable on most fights then.

The other reason is... well.. not much changed. Succubus instead of Felhunter. Rotation hasn't changed... there are some new optimal haste values, etc, but that's it. Ultimately at 80 an Afflic guide should just be a single line: Switch to Destro.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    why felhunter at 85? have to be blind to know wtf is so good with felhunter at 85 for aff lol
    The blind person in this case is you.
    Demon Soul