Thread: Gilnean? rly?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Gilnean? rly?

so i accidentally saw on wowwiki that the humans of gilneas, the current worgen, dont speak common, but "gilnean". and they dont speak worgen anymore.
    (and also why the hell dont gnomes speak dwarvish? its in the lore, most of them do O_o)

now, i understand that for gameplay reasons, elves dont speak both darnasian and thalasian, humans dont speak thalasian, undead dont speak common...
    but how is it justified that the humans of gilneas dont speak common? what, they made their own language durring a decade" (like the forsaken) lolz.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrone View Post
    they only speak common the latest build... /thread
    so dont bother posting any more =P
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2010-11-02 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know those Gilneans! They'll build a new language just to get the fuck away from the rest of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

The Gilnean's have always been self imposed outsiders, it wouldn't suprise me at all if they had their own language. I personally think it fits in with their social personality.

They wanted to feel special and "classy", see?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Well know one really knows what gilnean sounds like compared to common, but it could also just be common with a bit of change to a few words here and there. Or it could be like German to French, quite different. Does it really matter?

Doesn't every race in the Alliance speak common alongside their own racial language? Wouldn't that mean that the Worgen speak both common AND Gilnean?

If not then I guess Gilnean IS common, with an accent
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

10+ Year Old Account
    Gilneans have always been strong nationalists, and Gilnean is, to the best of my understanding, a dialect of Common that deviates enough that someone who speaks Common will have a lot of trouble with understanding the dialect without being shown the ins and outs of it--sort of like how Cockney English sounds wildly different from American English. An American English speaker will probably be completely lost after a good five seconds of speaking with a Cockney English speaker.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Don't forget dude, Gilneas is a Country and not just a City. Most countries do have their own language.

Why does France not speak English? Theres your answer. The human kingdoms were not always united, they had been seperate for a very long time before the first war.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    so i accidentally saw on wowwiki that the humans of gilneas, the current worgen, dont speak common, but "gilnean". and they dont speak worgen anymore.
    (and also why the hell dont gnomes speak dwarvish? its in the lore, most of them do O_o)

now, i understand that for gameplay reasons, elves dont speak both darnasian and thalasian, humans dont speak thalasian, undead dont speak common...
    but how is it justified that the humans of gilneas dont speak common? what, they made their own language durring a decade" (like the forsaken) lolz.

How do those French Justify not speaking English? I mean they are both human nations and barely separated by a small piece of water... why its INSANE that French exists as a language.

also if you continue to look on wowwiki you will see that the "worgen" language is actually a language of growls and barks and i think with their minds back its perfectly reasonable that they dont speak that.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Worgen_%28language%29

and that Gilneans DO speak common as a second language.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Worgen_%28playable%29
    Last edited by balgus82; 2010-11-02 at 06:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    its the accent no one understands

10+ Year Old Account
    You speak as if no one in the Alliance understands each other if they're from different races. How can a dwarf speak to a Draenei if it sounds like grinding rocks to the stardust guy?

Maybe it's because they all speak a Common language? D:

Quote Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
    You speak as if no one in the Alliance understands each other if they're from different races. How can a dwarf speak to a Draenei if it sounds like grinding rocks to the stardust guy?

Maybe it's because they all speak a Common language? D:
    they all speak common yes.

i do wonder why Draenei cant speak with the Horde though because it says they speak Orcish. o.O

every single trolls in WoW do speak the same langauge though..

Its like England Vs Scotland.

Scotland, despite being part of the United Kingdom and using English as their language, also has an older language from before they were taken over, gaelic

It could always be the difference between American English and cockney UK English, i.e. technically the same language... but not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk View Post
    Its like England Vs Scotland.

Scotland, despite being part of the United Kingdom and using English as their language, also has an older language from before they were taken over, gaelic
    Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    It could always be the difference between American English and cockney UK English, i.e. technically the same language... but not.

first posts to make sense =P

but then again, if gilneans speak common and "gilnean", why is the language of the stormwind kingdom named "common" and not stormwindian -_-?

edit: out of topic, but its not like they're completely different languages,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQxU8K1uJw
    english is not even my first language, but i undestood like.... 75% of what this guy said =P in comparrison to 99.9% of american or common english.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2010-11-02 at 07:28 PM.

but then again, if gilneans speak common and "gilnean", why is the language of the stormwind kingdom named "common" and not stormwindian -_-?

edit: out of topic, but its not like they're completely different languages,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQxU8K1uJw
    english is not even my first language, but i undestood like.... 75% of what this guy said =P in comparrison to 99.9% of american or common english.
    Because they speak Loderonic but don't want to admit it

10+ Year Old Account

Stormwind was destroyed at the end of the First War with the Horde, and all surviving Stormwinders went to Lordaeron for refuge. Later, Varian (who had spent much of his formative years in Lordaeron by that point) retook Stormwind. One could argue all the time spent in Lordaeron made Lordaeron's common tongue the 'official' language of Stormwind, rather than whatever private dialect they may have spoken.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!